Zenmuse gimbal goes limp after fast turns - help?

Reaction score
The Zenmuse gimbal I have was installed by a DJI dealer and seems to work fine apart from when I perform faster turns, strafes or spins. If the quad changes orientation too quickly, the gimbal almost can't keep up and will stop working - sometimes resetting within a second or two or sometimes needing me to remove and re-insert the battery to initialise it again.

Is anybody else suffering these problems? What's the solution?

Ah okay, I wonder why it will reset sometimes but go completely limp on others?

Claust said:
Difference is the time you are out of normal area of operation. If less than a few seconds it will turn on again.

If this is normal for the new gimbal to do this, why dont dji let us know? I worried I did something wrong, and spent alot of time trying to figure it out. Now I guess this is the way it's suppost to operate since several gimbals are doing it?

MKheng said:
Do you have a cable connected to the GoPro?

+1 on that question. The Zenmuse is pretty tolerant of most of the Phantom's aerobatics, *unless* you have anything on the GoPro that you shouldn't (cable, lens hood, filter, etc.). It must be absolutely "naked" to stay in proper balance, and any additions are going to greatly lower the threshold of movement at which the gimbal will need to hibernate or suspend.

MrMediaGuy said:
MKheng said:
Do you have a cable connected to the GoPro?

+1 on that question. The Zenmuse is pretty tolerant of most of the Phantom's aerobatics, *unless* you have anything on the GoPro that you shouldn't (cable, lens hood, filter, etc.). It must be absolutely "naked" to stay in proper balance, and any additions are going to greatly lower the threshold of movement at which the gimbal will need to hibernate or suspend.

For the premium price it should be built much tougher then it is I think, other gimbals dont suffer this same issue anywhere near as bad as the DJI. They are also much cheaper and also some quite a bit lighter so it really should do better then this I think. The actual stabilization is great when it works but I havent heard of the larger zenmuse doing this even in fairly aggressive flying. I think they just made a bad decision and made the motors too weak, over engineering them would have been much better then getting the absolute minimum for a hero 3 black.

I've had this happen and most times it resets and comes back to the correct position. However last week I was flying FPV through the GoPro and it did this and just pointed out in some random angle. I was barely able to get the Phantom back because I couldn't see where to come back to. Return to base worked for me however and the Phantom came back home. Very upsetting however. Hopefully some sort of firmware update could cure this.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl