YouTube Live Streaming

Reaction score
I apologize if this subject has already been addressed in the forum. I simply can't find it. I decided to take my drone experience to a new level. I downloaded instructions on how to make this happen. Everything went great until I got deep into my YouTube account. It appears I have to purchase an encoder? This is when things went south for me. I then decided to sign into my YouTube account via my drone interface. After I entered my pass code it just sat there and spun. Can someone out there please produce a detailed ( really dumbed down ) checklist on how to make this happen. Thanks to all!

Reactions: DougAles
Hi JC,

Lets go one step at a time.

First, the DJI GO app does the encoding for you. I assume you are trying to do LiveStreaming from inside the DJI GO app and you were successful at getting to the screen on your phone I attached below.

If so, here is something to try.

Please turn off Wifi or leave your home so you are off Wifi. Now put your drone aside and livestream from your phone to YouTube. Any simple video will work as a test. You can delete it later. Does it work? This test will determine you if you have your phones cellular settings setup correctly for LiveStreaming.

Here is a video I made LiveStreaming to Facebook.

I have not tried LiveStreaming to YouTube but I will soon.

Attachments

• IMG_3630.jpg
    IMG_3630.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 517
Last edited:
Thanks Doug
I will "attempt" to do as you described above. I do not have a FaceBook account. Therefore, I probably will not be able to do the test. So let's go from here. And I do appreciate your patience as I am really lacking in this area.
First, do I have to do ANYTHING at all with YouTube on my computer prior to attempting to stream live? I have some directions that say I MUST set up a TITLE to my stream on YouTube before I start streaming with my drone. I got through that part and then it asked for an encoding program which is payware.
I am using an IPad Mini 4 for my screen on my DJI Phantom 3 Standard. You are correct that I am attempting to do live steaming from within the DJI GO App. My IPad is NOT capable of cellular service. I can
Please advise and let's go from here. Thanks so much for responding and working with me on this.
Go Pack!!
Jim C

Thanks Doug
I will "attempt" to do as you described above. I do not have a FaceBook account. Therefore, I probably will not be able to do the test. So let's go from here. And I do appreciate your patience as I am really lacking in this area.
First, do I have to do ANYTHING at all with YouTube on my computer prior to attempting to stream live? I have some directions that say I MUST set up a TITLE to my stream on YouTube before I start streaming with my drone. I got through that part and then it asked for an encoding program which is payware.
I am using an IPad Mini 4 for my screen on my DJI Phantom 3 Standard. You are correct that I am attempting to do live steaming from within the DJI GO App. My IPad is NOT capable of cellular service. I can
Please advise and let's go from here. Thanks so much for responding and working with me on this.
Go Pack!!
Jim C

Hi Jim and thank you for your kind reply.

I have not livestreamed from my drone to YouTube yet, so I do not know if you must do something in the settings first or add a title. Once I try it, I'll update here. When I livestream to Facebook I did not have to do anything but log into facebook through the DJI Go app then click on the go live button.

♦️I thingk I may know your problem. Assuming you have everything set correctly, you need a minimum of two connections.

1) A connection from the drone camera to your iPhone / iPad / Andriod. I assume you do what I do, turn on your drone and drone remote control, in your iPhone / iPad go to settings then connnet to the drone via wifi. Okay, Wifi is taken. You are no longer on your home wifi. You are on the drone wifi.

2) A internet connection to stream the video feed from your iPhone / iPad to Facebook or Youtube or what ever. Well, this is where the cellular connection comes in. You are using a iPad without cellular. So, how are you getting the connection from your iPad to the internet?

Do you have a iPhone or iPad with cellular or could you borrow someone's iPhone that would let you install the DJI Go app and give it a try?

Doug
I apologize. I should have made myself more clear. I realize that once I am away from my house I can't broadcast via tablet without cellular service. In my case I am attempting to do this from my patio. I live on two acres and have lots of flying area around me. Thus, when sitting on my patio I am connected to my lan. Thus, I have internet connectivity to the tablet and to YouTube. I should be able to stream to YouTube via my lan. Please advise. And thanks again for taking your time with me on this project.
Jim

Hi Doug
I just found a document that may answer the questions. We shall see. I am uploading it to you. Please let me know what you think.
Jim

Attachments

• DJI Live Feed.txt
    2.9 KB · Views: 611
Doug
I apologize. I should have made myself more clear. I realize that once I am away from my house I can't broadcast via tablet without cellular service. In my case I am attempting to do this from my patio. I live on two acres and have lots of flying area around me. Thus, when sitting on my patio I am connected to my lan. Thus, I have internet connectivity to the tablet and to YouTube. I should be able to stream to YouTube via my lan. Please advise. And thanks again for taking your time with me on this project.
Jim

Hi Jim,

Sorry, I am not doing a great job explaining the issue. Okay, let me try this a different way.

You could be in Chicago, right? You could be in New York City, right? But...you could not be in Chicago and New York City at the exact same time, right?

Your ipad could be connected to your drone via Wifi, right? Your ipad could be connected to your home Wifi, right? But...your ipad could not be connected to your drone Wifi and your home Wifi at the exact same time, right?

To livestream from your drone to Facebook / YouTube / whom ever, you need two connections. One connection, the Wifi is used to connect your phone / tablet to your drone. Then how do you connect to the internet? Well, thats why you need a cellular connection because you can connect to Wifi AND Cellular but you cannot connect to Wifi AND Wifi.

Does this help?

Doug
I feel so freaking dense. Sir you just went right over this old goat's head. I was viewing it like this. The LAN in my house can and is connected to multiple things. (Smart TV, IPads, IPhones, etc.) Now, I fly my drone a lot off my patio where I get a great internet signal. I never really know if the RC is connected to my LAN except when it notifies me that a new firmware update is available for the RC. At that time I stop what I am doing and perform the firmware update. Obviously it sees my LAN and gets the update there. I am still trying to figure out why whatever device I am using MUST have a cellular connection. I certainly understand it if I were away from my house and NOT connected to my LAN. This is how I see it. Based on the instructions I am supposed to open a session in YouTube on a computer in my house. I then click on the settings outlined in the instructions that I sent you. My IPad Mini 4 is connected to my LAN. Thus, when I open the YouTube session in the DJI App I should connect there. Once it connects I should be able to launch the drone. As it sends video back to the RC (video should be seen on the screen) it should be Live Streaming. Needless to say I am wrong somewhere along the way!
Additionally, I read in a few places that my Advanced is NOT capable of Live Streaming but the Pro is. Wow!!!
If for whatever reason a cellular device is necessary I can connect my IPhone 5 S to the RC and give it a try. I have flown with my phone before and it is really tough for me to see something that small. I am not sure how in the world people do that.
Your comments please sir!
Jim

He said it pretty plainly. Your phone can connect to only one wifi network at a time, the one in your house or the one on your drone. They are two separate networks.

The phone can connect to a wifi and a cellular network at the same time. Then you are using the phone's wifi to connect to the drone and the phone's cellular connection to connect to the internet and Youtube.

Two guys who've never just clicked the screen and tried it back and forth - sorry, had to smile.

Works, like this:

Can your phone/tablet connect to YouTube?
Yes? Cool. Go into DJI Go app. Connect to drone. While it still on the ground just sitting there click to the screen shown above. Click YouTube or Facebook. The very first time you do it it'll ask you to authorize use on your account (varies between platforms. It is dead simple/obvious, just follow the very simple prompts). Then it asks for a title/description and then... you go live. It's that simple.
The wifi/cell issue is moot because the remote controller talks to the drone over its own radio, then the RC talks to your phone/table via a cable (USB or apple).

Just try it, it's dead simple and works well.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

He said it pretty plainly. Your phone can connect to only one wifi network at a time, the one in your house or the one on your drone. They are two separate networks.

The phone can connect to a wifi and a cellular network at the same time. Then you are using the phone's wifi to connect to the drone and the phone's cellular connection to connect to the internet and Youtube.

Your phone doesn't connect to the drone via wifi, it connects to the remote controller via a cable

Reactions: John Locke
Two guys who've never just clicked the screen and tried it back and forth - sorry, had to smile.

Works, like this:

Can your phone/tablet connect to YouTube?
Yes? Cool. Go into DJI Go app. Connect to drone. While it still on the ground just sitting there click to the screen shown above. Click YouTube or Facebook. The very first time you do it it'll ask you to authorize use on your account (varies between platforms. It is dead simple/obvious, just follow the very simple prompts). Then it asks for a title/description and then... you go live. It's that simple.
The wifi/cell issue is moot because the remote controller talks to the drone over its own radio, then the RC talks to your phone/table via a cable (USB or apple).

Just try it, it's dead simple and works well.

Thanks
I will give it a shot. It is a DJI Phantom 3 Standard. From what you said it is pretty straight forward. I guess the only question remaining is do I have to connect to YouTube on a computer prior to connecting with the DJI App.
Thank to all who are attempting to get me through this.
Jim

@jcmarathon, since it's a Standard, you'll need to use your phone... your non-cellular iPad will not work. You don't need a computer for any of this. Also keep in mind that since you'll be using your carrier's cell network to transmit the stream, you're going to chew through your data plan pretty quickly.

@jcmarathon, since it's a Standard, you'll need to use your phone... your non-cellular iPad will not work. You don't need a computer for any of this. Also keep in mind that since you'll be using your carrier's cell network to transmit the stream, you're going to chew through your data plan pretty quickly.

OK. I will give it a try. I am not too concerned about the data plan as it is unlimited. Now for the final question. What does it take for others to watch the flight. I am assuming I simply give them whatever name I give the flight and they search for that? You guys are so awesome to get me through this challenge. Thanks to all!

Doug
I feel so freaking dense. Sir you just went right over this old goat's head. I was viewing it like this. The LAN in my house can and is connected to multiple things. (Smart TV, IPads, IPhones, etc.) Now, I fly my drone a lot off my patio where I get a great internet signal. I never really know if the RC is connected to my LAN except when it notifies me that a new firmware update is available for the RC. At that time I stop what I am doing and perform the firmware update. Obviously it sees my LAN and gets the update there. I am still trying to figure out why whatever device I am using MUST have a cellular connection. I certainly understand it if I were away from my house and NOT connected to my LAN. This is how I see it. Based on the instructions I am supposed to open a session in YouTube on a computer in my house. I then click on the settings outlined in the instructions that I sent you. My IPad Mini 4 is connected to my LAN. Thus, when I open the YouTube session in the DJI App I should connect there. Once it connects I should be able to launch the drone. As it sends video back to the RC (video should be seen on the screen) it should be Live Streaming. Needless to say I am wrong somewhere along the way!
Additionally, I read in a few places that my Advanced is NOT capable of Live Streaming but the Pro is. Wow!!!
If for whatever reason a cellular device is necessary I can connect my IPhone 5 S to the RC and give it a try. I have flown with my phone before and it is really tough for me to see something that small. I am not sure how in the world people do that.
Your comments please sir!
Jim
Hi Doug
Update. I got it to work! I had to 1. Sign in to my YouTube account on my computer. 2. Use my IPhone as the connecting device by having it "FORGET" my home LAN network. I followed the directions per the drone which was sign on to my YouTube account in the APP. In order for others to see the video I simply had to text them to invite. It was really great. Thanks for all your help!
Jim

Reactions: DougAles
Hi Doug
Update. I got it to work! I had to 1. Sign in to my YouTube account on my computer. 2. Use my IPhone as the connecting device by having it "FORGET" my home LAN network. I followed the directions per the drone which was sign on to my YouTube account in the APP. In order for others to see the video I simply had to text them to invite. It was really great. Thanks for all your help!
Jim

Happy for you Jim!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl