Help me make a decision...

Which of the following is the best course of action?

• Sell Individual parts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • sell as a "lot"

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Repair

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
This is the second time my trusty Phantom 4 has tangled with a tree. First was my own inattentiveness, second was a gust of wind during a decent into a tight landing area.

My question/struggle is this: Should I try to fix it yet again, or am I merely throwing good money after bad? I've had it completely apart and back together three or four times: New GPS module, battery connecter, replaced the motors I damaged after driving the screws in too deep, etc. I've enjoyed the time I've had with it, but I've been considering moving to a different platform that will travel better (the P4P is in addition to the rest of my camera gear).

In the latest crash the gimbal was damaged. I've obtained a new gimbal arm but haven't found an OEM cable. I'm not sure if after replacing those parts the camera will produce an image, though it seems rather resilient. An arm broke from the body, and two props were broken. The parts and repairs I've put into this v1 totals somewhere around $1800 including the original purchase price of the bird. I would fully expect to grind through *at least* another $400 to make it airworthy again, possibly more to make it "right".

If you've been here, let me know what you decided to do. If you've got some advice, I'll take that too. I've learned a bunch from this little aircraft, and love what it is capable of doing.

Also, if it's possible to get a waiver on the minimum posting requirements for the classifieds section of the forum, either through a purchase of the subscription or outright bribery of a mod, let me know.

broken drone.jpeg

damaged gimbal.jpeg

Maybe politely ask @clackey or @BigAl07 about being able to post in Classifieds. A Premium subscription also waives that requirement.

Not a problem as I’m here to help, but can’t be bribed.😇 Joking aside, I hope your future flights are not attacked by the Ents. I’ve have several close calls myself.

With the reduced prices of used P4P’s, one option would be to hunt for another unit.
With the possibility of 400.00 repair cost that may or may not put you back in the air, you would end up with spare parts for the new flyable unit.
Tough decision. Hope you get it resolved.

I have a P4p that I used to travel with until I purchased a refurb, like new, Air 2s. It’s so compact, I can throw it in my backpack with other camera gear. There are some cons to the Air2s, can’t adjust aperture, but some of the automated modes just make it so easy to get great shots when you just need to grab an establishing shot while also shooting with other cameras. I haven’t used my P4p in months but keep it as backup.

I have a P4p that I used to travel with until I purchased a refurb, like new, Air 2s. It’s so compact, I can throw it in my backpack with other camera gear. There are some cons to the Air2s, can’t adjust aperture, but some of the automated modes just make it so easy to get great shots when you just need to grab an establishing shot while also shooting with other cameras. I haven’t used my P4p in months but keep it as backup.
I've really been considering an Air 2s for a while. It's capabilities fit my my typical mission profile and with it's arms in the stowed position, it's rather compact.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers