Yet another section 333 exemption thread...

There is this nonsense:
Putting Drone Videos on YouTube Is Illegal, Feds Say

But I never heard of it going anywhere and it's old news.

Josh
You are correct, old news. As I recall this was one overzealous FAA employee operating on his own, an official FAA notice was issued later, it is posted in the forum somewhere, the FAA's official position is not to consider the single fact of posting a video a commercial activity.
If I'm misstating the info. please correct me.

I'm about fed up with this government crap saying "well, that guy and that guy and THAT guy are bad, so all the rest of them are bad too". It's time government start punishing the bad guys and stop messing with those who have done no wrong.

It will be a cold day in the devil's hometown when I go through all the crap to get a pilot's license to fly my Phantom over my farmer friend's field and CHARGE him to do it. If there's a plane down here at 400 feet it's pilot has a helluva lot more to be worried about than my Phantom!!!

(Me in court): "Your Honor, If the Prosecutor can fly an uncontrollable kite or model rocket to 650-1000 feet altitude with his kids, please have him explain to you if he seriously thinks that isn't a danger commercial and private aircraft, then why is my drone so dangerous, when I was only flying it a MAXIMUM of 400 feet, and IT is GPS-controlled?"

Judge "case DISMISSED"!!!!

I'm about fed up with this government crap saying "well, that guy and that guy and THAT guy are bad, so all the rest of them are bad too". It's time government start punishing the bad guys and stop messing with those who have done no wrong.

It will be a cold day in the devil's hometown when I go through all the crap to get a pilot's license to fly my Phantom over my farmer friend's field and CHARGE him to do it. If there's a plane down here at 400 feet it's pilot has a helluva lot more to be worried about than my Phantom!!!

(Me in court): "Your Honor, If the Prosecutor can fly an uncontrollable kite or model rocket to 650-1000 feet altitude with his kids, please have him explain to you if he seriously thinks that isn't a danger commercial and private aircraft, then why is my drone so dangerous, when I was only flying it a MAXIMUM of 400 feet, and IT is GPS-controlled?"

Judge "case DISMISSED"!!!!
Yup folks, This is exactly why the UAV hobby will be extremely regulated and ruin the fun for everyone. ;)

Just wanted to circle around to say "thanks" to the folks who contributed to the thread. I wound up sending in a petition for exemption last week using one of the granted petitions. I see no reason why I would be denied since the petition content seems pretty standard (I used one of the shorter petitions). Hopefully in a around a month or two I get some good news back...

I realize I am still constricted by the pilot's license requirement, so in the meantime I'm at least trying to do as much as I can to go by the rules.

Is there a particular website/blog/rss feed you guys use to stay on top of FAA/commercial drone law developments? I'd love to start staying ahead of the game and knowing what's coming down the pipe so I can be ready when things (hopefully) loosen up.

Just wanted to circle around to say "thanks" to the folks who contributed to the thread. I wound up sending in a petition for exemption last week using one of the granted petitions. I see no reason why I would be denied since the petition content seems pretty standard (I used one of the shorter petitions). Hopefully in a around a month or two I get some good news back...

I realize I am still constricted by the pilot's license requirement, so in the meantime I'm at least trying to do as much as I can to go by the rules.

Is there a particular website/blog/rss feed you guys use to stay on top of FAA/commercial drone law developments? I'd love to start staying ahead of the game and knowing what's coming down the pipe so I can be ready when things (hopefully) loosen up.
Congrats on the step forward. Smaller is not better when you are using one as a template though. You have to ask for an exemption for any current rule or regulation you want to be exempted from. For instance I am exempt from Airworthiness Certificates but there are a few that never asked for that so they are stuck getting these on UAV's and wasting time and money. And don't count on a "Month or Two" on their decision. They have caught up a lot but it will still take 180 plus days. as for the site you're asking here is as good a place as any. Good luck with your exemptions. :)

People seemed to have missed this, unless it was mentioned in a different thread. If I read this correctly, as of March 2015, the FAA had modified their pilot license requirement for UAV operators flying commercially with or flying for a company that has a Section 333 exemption. "Under the new policy, the FAA will grant a Certificate of Waiver or Authorization (COA) for flights at or below 200 feet to any UAS operator with a Section 333 exemption for aircraft that weigh less than 55 pounds, operate during daytime Visual Flight Rules (VFR) conditions, operate within visual line of sight (VLOS) of the pilots, and stay certain distances away from airports or heliports." Looks like they are not requiring a pilot license for those commercial UAV operators that keep it under 200 ft.

FAA Streamlines UAS COAs for Section 333

This is a blanket COA. You don't have to apply for one each time you fly.

Might not sound like much fun, but the work I do rarely calls for any need to fly higher than that. At least I can be legal most of the time.

People seemed to have missed this, unless it was mentioned in a different thread. If I read this correctly, as of March 2015, the FAA had modified their pilot license requirement for UAV operators flying commercially with or flying for a company that has a Section 333 exemption. "Under the new policy, the FAA will grant a Certificate of Waiver or Authorization (COA) for flights at or below 200 feet to any UAS operator with a Section 333 exemption for aircraft that weigh less than 55 pounds, operate during daytime Visual Flight Rules (VFR) conditions, operate within visual line of sight (VLOS) of the pilots, and stay certain distances away from airports or heliports." Looks like they are not requiring a pilot license for those commercial UAV operators that keep it under 200 ft.

FAA Streamlines UAS COAs for Section 333

This is a blanket COA. You don't have to apply for one each time you fly.

Might not sound like much fun, but the work I do rarely calls for any need to fly higher than that. At least I can be legal most of the time.
It appears you have misunderstood. The COA is only granted to those that have the 333 exemptions. Within ALL 333 exemptions they require a pilots license. The COA only allows you to operate normal smaller jobs such as what you do with less limitations than before but you still have to follow the basic rules of the 333 exemptions.

I understand you need a Section 333 exemption for this new COA. But acquiring a Section 333 exemption does not require a pilot license. Beyond that, the FAA states that this COA with an altitude restriction of 200 ft will be granted to any UAV operator with a Section 333 exemption. There is no mention of needing a pilot license for this. If you know where that is stated, I would appreciate a link. Thanks.

It also states.. "Section 333 exemption holders will automatically receive a “blanket” 200 foot COA. For new exemption holders, the FAA will issue a COA at the time the exemption is approved." So if no pilot license is required for a Section 333 exemption, and the FAA is automatically going to issue this blanket 200 ft COA, it seems to me they are not requiring a pilot license to fly commercially at or below 200 ft.

I have reached out to the FAA for some clarity regarding this new blanket COA below 200 ft and if it waives the required pilots license for low altitude flying. I'll post their response.

Last edited:
Thanks Mikegwalk. I don't have an exemption at the moment but will take a look at others. I'm just asking the FAA if these new 200 ft COAs change that requirement for low-level flights, as there truly is no reason to require that the CIP have flight training in an actual airplane in order to operate a toy/tool if you are limiting ones work to such low altitude over private property. (I realize I'm preaching to the choir here.)

Last edited:
If you are using it for commercial use, then no matter how high you fly 1-400ft you will need a pilots license .. Trust me I know , as I am about 5 hours shy of getting my sports license, I would not have spent 4000 grand just for the fun of it. For the time being I am subbing out the flying to a pilot .. Hope this helps

I am a commercial photographer and have been flying my DJI Phantom for over a year. I have an FAA issued Private Pilots license, that I have not used in decades. I am still confused as to what to do next, but after reading this thread. But, It seems like I am in good position to start offering this service to my clients. All I have to do is apply for.... the 333 exemption? Why are some of them so long? Some 50 pages? Why does it take, as stated on the FAA FAQs page 120 days? I guess I better get started.

Has my Phantom Vision 2 been "certified and registered"? That would be done by DJI, correct? Or, by me?

On a side note, I think that it is ridiculous that the FAA has lumped in 50 lb and 3.5 lb drones in together!

What really is a waste of time and money (unless you just want a pilots license anyway) is that it is generally expected (from what I've read) that when the FAA does finally come out with sUAV regulations they will only require a course be completed regarding sUAV air safety rules and procedures, and not require that you have actual flight training and solo experience in an actual plane. So, at this point, I don't think I will be going for a pilots license and will conduct any flying as a hobbyist with the landowner's permission until things change. But I will probably apply for an exemption anyway because it doesn't hurt to have one.

@lutece7 -- The length of the exemption documents vary because the FAA in all it's wisdom did not standardize an exemption application, so it appears you just write a letter explaining what regs you want to be exempt from and why. Easiest thing to do is find an already granted exemption that is for a similar business as yours and just modify a copy of it. The document lengths vary because some are more detailed than others, some are submitted by individuals, some by attorneys, etc. Just search out a comprehensive one that applies to your intended flight needs and modify it. And since you are modifying a copy of an already granted Section 333 exemption, it's pretty much a lock that yours will also be granted. Many even refer to having a P2V+ as the drone model.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj