Yet another DOA Battery

Reaction score
Blowing off a little steam here. But more importantly adding another data point.

It’s been said that the DOA battery problem can’t be that extensive percentage wise because so many people don’t have the problem. Then again as the saying goes “when I’m the one that’s unemployed then the unemployment rate is 100%”

I finally pulled the trigger on the upgrade from a P3S to a P4P. I dreamed about it for weeks. Watched dozens of YouTube videos on all the features. Read through endless posts here in this forum. Essentially I was a sponge till I was ready to pull the trigger.

And so I did. And it came today.

@&$#%! battery is dead as a door nail. Called DJI and they said it’s prolly hibernating. Leave it plugged in for a few hours. Ok. So I did that. Still dead as a door nail.

I know stuff happens and tech ain’t perfect. Neither are humans building or QCing this stuff. I get it. But I’ve been reading about A LOT of this happening. It may be small percentage wise. But IMHO it should be so rare as to not be a topic of conversation either here or on amazon. Yeah. I even read reviews from people who bought additional batteries on amazon and experienced the same DOA issue.

Something ain’t right here. DJI needs to pay attention to this because it seems these DOA rates are higher than they should be based on my UNSCIENTIFIC observations. So now I’m apparently faced with at least a two week waiting period before I get to fly this thing. Which eats into my warranty period for the rest of the drone.

Pffft

Stupid question but it worked for me. Thought I had a dead battery or a dead charger. Nothing was going on. Tried another charger. Nothing. Nothing for an hour. Then I pushed the battery button while unplugged, one light came on (as predicted). Plugged it in and it started charging. All is well. Hope it could be that easy for u.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Yes.......i have read about what you did to get it charging....Its sortah a wake UP for it to leave the hibernation mode and Yes Start charging UP !............hope its works for the bsartist too

Reactions: charlieb4
Nah. Did all that. No dice.

I certainly appreciate you chiming in though.

Oh and charger is ok because it charges the RC.

I guess the upside is that I get to look forward to flying it for a few more weeks. Kinda like looking forward to Christmas. And delaying the after Christmas let-down. LOL.

Well bsartist....darn it....your going to want another battery so shop around and get one so you can get some airborne flight time on the quad !.....I have rode all thru your area on the Bmer bike years ago and IT was beautiful...i had camped in Barre Vermont and loaded the bike in the ferry boat in Burlington Vermont and got off in Port Thomas...what a ride down 87 that was...have a great Friday and weekend too !

If it’s dead on arrival you shouldn’t be waiting for DJI to assess and replace, send the whole thing back for immediate replacement or refund with the seller.

Seller tries to tell me the DOA camera issue needed to go off to be checked and fixed, they changed their attitude when I asked for a refund. It shouldn’t be your problem.

I had a similar issue with me new P4P. I installed the battery in the AC, attempted to start it (which didn’t happen because the battery was “dead”. But after doing that, the battery charged normally. I suppose being in the AC woke it up.

Just a thought to try.

I had a similar issue with me new P4P. I installed the battery in the AC, attempted to start it (which didn’t happen because the battery was “dead”. But after doing that, the battery charged normally. I suppose being in the AC woke it up.

Just a thought to try.
Tried it again. No joy.

If it’s dead on arrival you shouldn’t be waiting for DJI to assess and replace, send the whole thing back for immediate replacement or refund with the seller.

Seller tries to tell me the DOA camera issue needed to go off to be checked and fixed, they changed their attitude when I asked for a refund. It shouldn’t be your problem.
I suppose I could try that. I bought it from B&H. They claim that problems with stuff sold with USA warranty (I.e. not grey market) must be dealt with from the manufacturer. I guess I can call and see what they say. I’ve done a bunch of business with them and they are reputable. But truth be told I hate the hassle of sending it all back.

Well bsartist....darn it....your going to want another battery so shop around and get one so you can get some airborne flight time on the quad !.....I have rode all thru your area on the Bmer bike years ago and IT was beautiful...i had camped in Barre Vermont and loaded the bike in the ferry boat in Burlington Vermont and got off in Port Thomas...what a ride down 87 that was...have a great Friday and weekend too !
I knew I’d probably want a second battery EVENTUALLY. So I decided to order one now so I could get it in the air. I figured I’d need one eventually but it still pisses me off to be forced (more or less) into that purchase.

I suppose I could try that. I bought it from B&H. They claim that problems with stuff sold with USA warranty (I.e. not grey market) must be dealt with from the manufacturer. I guess I can call and see what they say. I’ve done a bunch of business with them and they are reputable. But truth be told I hate the hassle of sending it all back.
Fair enough for an issue that might develop after some period of use, rules are different for dead on arrival however, doesn’t matter what their stated policy is. Let them handle it with the manufacturer.

I would asked them to send you two batteries, pay for one and send the dud back. Let them take a purchase authorisation for reversal when the dead one arrives back with them if needed.

Fair enough for an issue that might develop after some period of use, rules are different for dead on arrival however, doesn’t matter what their stated policy is. Let them handle it with the manufacturer.

I would asked them to send you two batteries, pay for one and send the dud back. Let them take a purchase authorisation for reversal when the dead one arrives back with them if needed.
I already ordered a second battery on amazon. But I might still call them tomorrow and see if I can get an RMA for the battery or the whole kit. My guess is if anything it will be the whole kit. Which is fine if they pay shipping.

Last edited:
Reactions: Munich97
Called B&H. They sent me a pre paid UPS return label right away. No muss. No fuss. I didn’t bother with having them send me one and do a reversal later.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
I am facing the same trouble and frustation. I bought a P4Pro+ that came with a dead battery too! :hushed::angry::worried:

After having issues of swelling with both my hi-cap P4P batteries, I started looking for replacments. Best deal so far is BuyDig, $99 for the brand-new standard capacity. Which is ok with me, since the three I have are working great (no puff), and there's only like a 5-10% increase in charge with the high-cap.
Update: The BuyDig battery arrived today, it's a "PowerExtra", not DJI. Buyer Beware!

Last edited:
I am facing the same trouble and frustation. I bought a P4Pro+ that came with a dead battery too! :hushed::angry::worried:
Returned it and the shop gave me a brandnew boxed P4Pro+ but the battery is dead too!:fearscream: Is there any "secret ritual" to resurrect these "intelligent" batteries? Thinking in returning it and ask my money back! :mad::(

Returned it and the shop gave me a brandnew boxed P4Pro+ but the battery is dead too!:fearscream: Is there any "secret ritual" to resurrect these "intelligent" batteries? Thinking in returning it and ask my money back! :mad::(
Mayby it went into hybination,,worth a try
Screenshot_20180708-073936.jpg

My understanding is that DJI batteries are warrantied for 6 months, as long as they have less than 200 cycles on them. Also, I almost always by from Amazon, because of they're return policy.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z