Yes or no? Can a hobbyist drone pilot fly at night?

Read the questions you will have to answer for the for the 107.29 waiver for part 107. These are all for safety reasons. Why is it that these will not have to apply for recreational use under the reauthorization act. It does not make sense to me.

As a hobbyist you are flying under part 336 “Recreation Flyers & Modeler Community-Based-Organization” , and as such you are required to follow the guidelines of a model aircraft community-based organization. Read below bullet point 3, where you agree not to fly over moving vehicles.

View attachment 106583

https://www.modelaircraft.org/sites/default/files/100.pdf
Technically not correct. As of the signing of the FRMA 2018, a hobbiest is flying under 349, which for all intents and purposes is the same as 336.

Reactions: MikeD79
Here is an excerpt from the Reauthorization Act of 2018 with regards to uas recreational use. Read 349.

IMG_1545589840.166159.jpg

https://www.commerce.senate.gov/pub...horization-act-of-2018-section-by-section.pdf

Here is another interesting read

New FAA Reauthorization Act Has Big Implications for Hobbyist Drone Pilots - UAV Coach

My guess is that we won’t know for sure until the fat lady sings!
And even then the FAA reg’s can be modified at will.

Sure why not they dont have a 107 license. They can even fly up to the 10,000 ft limit of class B air space. I wouldn't but what does a hobbyist have to lose other then some money their drone and freedom.

Although the language in the Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 with reference to operations near airports is vague, where you only have to “Notify” them versus getting a clearance/permission, I would say that questioned can only be answered by ATC personal in airport of intended flight. I would think the answer would probably be NO!

IMG_1545607728.492784.jpg

So can hobbyist as of now fly in lets say class B air space and at night?

No,, a hobbyist cannot fly within 5 miles of any airport. Plus a hobbyist cannot fly within Class B airspace if it extends beyond 5 miles down to below 400 feet. Yes there is a provision that a hobbyist can notify the tower, but I doubt you will get clearance in Class B airspace.

Sure why not they dont have a 107 license. They can even fly up to the 10,000 ft limit of class B air space. I wouldn't but what does a hobbyist have to lose other then some money their drone and freedom.

Where did all this sarcasm come from? The original question was about flying at night. At no time did anyone say that a hobbyist has no rules or responsibilities.

Reactions: Fly Dawg
And let’s add that, far as I’ve read, the FAA is sending warning letters at most. They aren’t arresting and prosecuting, so, at most, you get a scary letter saying. “Behave you bad boy you!” And hopefully it becomes a lesson to the wise. I don’t anyone flying over a couple cars at night is going to jail anytime soon. Not like flying over an airport before Xmas lol

Last edited:
I think it's time to stop beating the dead horse. Responsible flyers fly that way, regardless of Hobby status or as you seem to think as a Part 107 Pilot " Premadonna" Status. Personally I look at both the in the same manner. I have no need, nor want for 107 status. I fly per the rules and guidelines set forth, and never in a "reckless" manner. Take that as you will, but you are simply adding gasoline to the fire by your comments. I usually do not comment on these issues, other than an original OP's question. Enough is enough. Being a Part 107 Pilot also requires common sense, as does a hobbyist flyer. If you have issues with that then I suggest you take those arguments elsewhere.

No,, a hobbyist cannot fly within 5 miles of any airport. Plus a hobbyist cannot fly within Class B airspace if it extends beyond 5 miles down to below 400 feet. Yes there is a provision that a hobbyist can notify the tower, but I doubt you will get clearance in Class B airspace.

Just to be clear.. CRYSTAL clear.... that portion of the Language was removed 12/11/2018 from the FAA's website. It used to read

"No recreational flying in Class B without ATC APPROVAL AND COORDINATION. "

but was replaced with:
"Option 2: If you are flying with a model aeroclub organization following the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, you must notify the airport operator and air traffic control tower to fly within 5 miles of an airport. "

Here are the "published" (Cliff's Notes Version) of Hobby Flight Rules (most likely will change 2019):
  • Fly only for fun or recreation
  • Follow the safety guidelines of a model aircraft community-based organization
  • Fly at or below 400 feet when in uncontrolled airspace (Class G)
  • Fly within visual line-of-sight, meaning you as the drone operator use your own eyes and needed contacts or glasses (without binoculars), to ensure you can see your drone at all times.
  • Never fly near other aircraft.
  • Never fly over groups of people, public events, or stadiums full of people.
  • Never fly near or over emergency response efforts.

I personally look forward to seeing the new Hobby regulations made formal and LIVE so that we're most closely flying under the same rules & regulations. I do not think that a hobbyist should have not rules for flying at night etc. It should be just as regulated as Commercial operations if not more so.

So, the final answer is: Currently, a hobbyist can fly at night for fun, below 400 feet, in VLOS, not near other aircraft or over groups of people, public events of full stadiums, nor near emergency response efforts. Thank you everyone. I think I’m good.

Fly within visual line-of-sight, meaning you as the drone operator use your own eyes and needed contacts or glasses (without binoculars), to ensure you can see your drone at all times.
Just personal opinion, but I have always considered the use of Goggles to be in violation of this portion. Never used them, never will. The only way this should be allowed is to have a spotter in tandem with the Pilot. No exceptions for either hobbyist or 107.

Just personal opinion, but I have always considered the use of Goggles to be in violation of this portion. Never used them, never will. The only way this should be allowed is to have a spotter in tandem with the Pilot. No exceptions for either hobbyist or 107.

I agree 100% and hopefully the new hobby rules spell it out that way like they do in Part 107.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94