Yaw Tolerance

Reaction score
Good morning all, really enjoy reading/learning here everyday, Thanks!
I noticed this past weekend that my PV2-V3 was not spinning as tightly as I remembered under the yaw command. I checked the props, which I had previously balanced, and found a few light bug gouges. I performed an advanced IMU Calibration and swapped in some brand new props, (all four were balanced properly out of the package!) and tried the yaw command again. I'd estimate that the center point of the bird traverses a circle of between 4 and 5 feet in the course of a 360 degree yaw. Is this normal? I've read here of members indicating that they experienced pinpoint spinning about the center point.
This was the first time I've performed an advanced IMU cal since Ive owned the Phantom. I got an indication of a high MC temp, but the calibration continued anyway. Both the Phantom and the air temperature in the room where I was calibrating was 71 degrees.
Any insight or recommendations are welcomed.
Thanks,
John

Try recalibrating the IMU on a perfectly level surface (use a level to check). If that does not work, then try leveling the Naza-M unit. Sometimes that unit is not level inside of the Phantom. See more details here.

Last edited:
Try recalibrating the IMU on a perfectly level surface (use a level to check). If that does not work, then try leveling the Naza-M unit. Sometimes that unit is not level inside of the Phantom. See more details at the following link:

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=4343&page=1
Thanks msinger, I did use a spirit level to perfectly set the surface for the calibration. Guess I'm due for a visit to the Naza-M. Was hoping to avoid that as I've yet to break the seals on the body, and she's still under warranty. When it's right, will the Phantom spin perfectly in place while yawing?

It should. My P2V+ does not drift at all when yawing.

Thanks msinger, I did use a spirit level to perfectly set the surface for the calibration. Guess I'm due for a visit to the Naza-M. Was hoping to avoid that as I've yet to break the seals on the body, and she's still under warranty. When it's right, will the Phantom spin perfectly in place while yawing?
Imo is not important to level the naza because imu cal set the zero point. The most important part is to level the motors using a level on the top of it in all directions.

Thanks SQX, I actually did check diagonally and square across the tops of the motor shafts after I leveled the bench surface. The link above provided by msinger provides some great info on adjusting the calibration orientation of the phantom based on real life observations of the bird after calibration. I've not had an opportunity to try it yet, but I'll report once I have.
Thanks again to SQX and msinger!
John

Well here we go. I observed that the phantom was moving to the left and slightly to the rear during a 360 degree yaw test this morning.
Brought the unit inside to the same level surface where I performed the advanced IMU cal yesterday and set the phantom up so that left side was resting on two business cards and tried to re-calibrate. As before, I received a MC hi-temp warning ( for no reason as it was cooler than 70 degrees) and the calibration continued, but never finished.
It sat at approximately 90% for 20 minutes before the MC started beeping which I assume means it was trying to remind me that it was still on. I tried unsuccessfully several times to re-run the calibration, but it would never complete. Prior to each attempt, I powered everything down, disconnected the hard wire from the phantom, and reinstalled the battery.
What am I missing?
Thanks,
John

I place my Phantom vision 2+ Ver. 3 and battery over an air conditioner vent for awhile before doing the advanced imu calibration. I have the table where I calibrate all set up with shims in place to level the Phantom, I level it with a glass across the four motors and a bulls eye level.
While the Phantom is cool I quickly then move the Phantom to the table and connect the usb cable and start the assistant software. I then power on the Phantom and start the calibration. I do not get the "too hot" error when doing it this way.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers