Yaw motor replacement + camera leaning to the side

Reaction score
Hi, did anyone replace the yaw motor on P3? It should be the same for all (Pro, Std, Adv)

I have one P3Pro, the gimbal circuit board was burned, so I replaced it with another one. But, the camera is leaning to the side (not tilted, leaning on the yaw axis).

I thought it might be caused by the motor so I replaced it, and the still have the problem with leaning to the side (now it leans to the opposite one)

Does it seem like HW or SW problem? Can it be ajusted somehow? Calibrate the motor to be straight?

Thank you!

Have you calibrated the gimbal through dji go app?
Also might want to calibrate the Tx as well, YAW stick mostly!
Being a new board, it was most likely calibrated to another craft, and the Tx might have been a couple degrees off from yours?
Just calibrate everything, see if problem remains!

J Dot
:cool:

yes I calibrated the IMU, gimbal and the remote, no change. It definitely looks like it's couple of degrees off, gimbal is fine it performs correctly on all the axis, it's just off to one side :(

download.jpg

I did have that on mine but after a few seconds it corrects itself. Have you turned it on and just lift it up and tilt the drone in all directions? I did and it seemed like it got stuck for a few seconds and made a noise, but when flying its pretty much ok

That problem is usually caused by the gimbal main board. Was the yaw motor new? If not replace it again with another yaw motor. If it is still the same it is the board. There is a way to fool it. Lock the yaw arm on the shaft either to the left or right of the flat and see what happens.

Reactions: Andpao13
That problem is usually caused by the gimbal main board. Was the yaw motor new? If not replace it again with another yaw motor. If it is still the same it is the board. There is a way to fool it. Lock the yaw arm on the shaft either to the left or right of the flat and see what happens.

That's exactly what I was actually thinking to do... Just to rotate it a little.. but I'm pretty scared that the little srew wont hold it as good as on the flat. The motors were both new. When I put the other motor in, the camera stays to right side instead of left as with the othe motor..

If that works ok then you remove the magnet from the shaft and turn it to approximately the same position. It is not easy because you have to soak the shaft up to the magnet in acetone to free up the glue. You have to make the magnet so you know where you started from. It may take several tries to get it perfect then u re glue it to the shaft in the new position. Scared yet?

I have this same problem with a P3S - the camera "looks" to the left about 10-15 degrees. Sometimes I can calibrate the gimble and that takes care of the problem - for about 1 or two flights, then it re-occurs. I have loosened the screw, re-psitioned the shaft, then re-tightened the screw - same thing happens - 1 or 2 flights and it's back to it's off-kilter position.

The screw does not feel like it works it's way loose so I am thinking it is not the screw-to-shaft interface that is causing the problem. I can't figure out how come the shaft is turning slightly to the left - unless the problem is being caused by a circuit board error or something along that line.

I have this same problem with a P3S - the camera "looks" to the left about 10-15 degrees. Sometimes I can calibrate the gimble and that takes care of the problem - for about 1 or two flights, then it re-occurs. I have loosened the screw, re-psitioned the shaft, then re-tightened the screw - same thing happens - 1 or 2 flights and it's back to it's off-kilter position.

The screw does not feel like it works it's way loose so I am thinking it is not the screw-to-shaft interface that is causing the problem. I can't figure out how come the shaft is turning slightly to the left - unless the problem is being caused by a circuit board error or something along that line.
That sounds like a gimbal board problem. you might try a new yaw motor but I don't think that is it

If that works ok then you remove the magnet from the shaft and turn it to approximately the same position. It is not easy because you have to soak the shaft up to the magnet in acetone to free up the glue. You have to make the magnet so you know where you started from. It may take several tries to get it perfect then u re glue it to the shaft in the new position. Scared yet?
sorry I ment to say mark the magnet so you know where you started

I don't follow, how will you know the position after you take it apart? I understand what you mean, mark the magnet when the drone is turned off and adjust the shaft and the magnet. Is the magnet what indicates the position of the shaft for the drone?

The magnet on the shaft of the yaw motor is how the gimbal knows where the camera is pointing. It is calibrated to that position at the factory. The gimbal get out of whack and points to the left or right. There is no fixing the gimbal electronics so we fake it out by rotating the magnet to a new position. Usually we move it about the same number of degrees in the same direction that the camera points. The magnet is very fragile and will break if you use any force on it. Soak it in finger nail polish remover ( acetone) Don't get it on the motor. You can heat it with a small torch but you may overheat the shaft if you are not careful. Acetone is safer. Once it is loose mark it's position relative to the flat on the shaft. You must know where you started or you will be forever playing with it trying to center the camera. I put a small scratch on the magnet at the center of the flat. Once it is loose turn in on the shaft the same number of degrees as the off set of the camera. Put it all back together and try it. If it gets worse then you probably went the wrong way. You may have to take it apart and move it several times until you get it perfect. then you use red Loctite to glue it in position so it won't move. Put the red Loctite on and recheck it quickly before it sets. If it is ok then let it set an hour and you are good to go. If you break the magnet let me know as I have lots of yaw motors. Or you could send me the camera and I can do it for you.

Reactions: Greybush and J Dot
wow that sounds cool... I have 3 yaw motors now so I might try it myself.. are you in Florida too? Where?

I just like fixing these things. When I first got on Phantom Pilots, you guys were awesome to me. I learned pretty much everything I know about drones here. Just giving back what you gave me.... knowledge

Clermont. Come on over. I am about 30 minutes NW of Orlando off 50 near the Turnpike. If you come here I will fix it at no charge.

wow if I'm ever in the area I will, I am in Boca.. Will try to fix it, will see what happens lol.. thank you!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic