Wonky horizon

Reaction score
My P4 seems to video sloping to one side. The horizon appears to slope from left to right quite markedly. The rest of the shot looks OK so is this maybe curveture due to the very wide angle of the lens? Or is it a misaligned gimbal?

My P4 seems to video sloping to one side. The horizon appears to slope from left to right quite markedly. The rest of the shot looks OK so is this maybe curveture due to the very wide angle of the lens? Or is it a misaligned gimbal?
Have you done a gimbal calibration? You can also manually adjust it in the app.

Reactions: dirkclod
Hi,
I have exactly the same problem. I have with considerable care recalibrated everything. During yawing manoeuvres (even super slowly) the Horizon becomes tilted to the point of being useless footage. After some time it will re-level (correction rates are 100). I feel some software fix will be required to sort this, so many are suffering same symptoms. Possibly some kind of gyro precession error with the copter continually correcting for any wind, All guesswork but something is not right!

This is a long running issue with all phantom products. Dji can not fix it... they will respond with, did you conduct a compass calibration and an IMU calibration. Watch "ALL" youtube videos and you will see each video suffers from a tilted horizon.

Reactions: mikesmiley
Hi,
I have exactly the same problem. I have with considerable care recalibrated everything. During yawing manoeuvres (even super slowly) the Horizon becomes tilted to the point of being useless footage. After some time it will re-level (correction rates are 100). I feel some software fix will be required to sort this, so many are suffering same symptoms. Possibly some kind of gyro precession error with the copter continually correcting for any wind, All guesswork but something is not right!

Update to my wonky horizon issue........The fact that the factory fitted filters was seized on prompted me to return the P4. This with the horizon issue was driving me mad. Anyway great news the retailer replaced the drone and the new one has an easily removable filter and the horizon is perfectly level. So I am assuming the previous machine had a control issue with the gimbal or IMU's. The new P4 operates differently. A noticeable difference to the handling and the effect of altering the exponential control is for sure different and more effective. So I am happy but concerned that quality control problems are widespread from the evidence of forum reports.

It's a DJI thing, like stated above. Calibrating and tweaking will help minimize it, but you will never entirely get rid of it.

It's a DJI thing, like stated above. Calibrating and tweaking will help minimize it, but you will never entirely get rid of it.

That is your view and perhaps there is something in what you say. At this price point perfection would be a big ask. My experience is however that my replacement P4 is amazingly good, it would be hard to complain about how good the gimbal control is. I am convinced that a wonky horizon is a result of a fault or incorrect setup. It is definitely possible to own a P4 with good accurate gimbal control and to enjoy level horizons!

Press and hold your C2 button. Then turn the camera wheel (top right) and the gimbal will move slightly, either left or right.

Thanks for the tip. It works OK and is more useful than digging out the Gimbal roll dialog (I unsuccessfully tried to attach it to the C1/C2 buttons a while back).

Where did you learn that? I couldn't find it in the P3P manual.

This is a long running issue with all phantom products. Dji can not fix it... they will respond with, did you conduct a compass calibration and an IMU calibration. Watch "ALL" youtube videos and you will see each video suffers from a tilted horizon.
Martin, don't know if you saw my post about having my P4 replaced. The new machine is to my mind perfect. The gimbal control is spot on and the horizon is level to my complete satisfaction. So it is for sure possible to have the Phantom working correctly. It might just be harsh to suggest that DJI deliver wonky horizons and that it cannot be fixed. I am beginning to thing that quality control may be an issue but the technology is good.

Press and hold your C2 button. Then turn the camera wheel (top right) and the gimbal will move slightly, either left or right. I've tried it and it seems to work.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
Hey Mike,
Is this above solve to correct for horizon tilt or azimuth (looking straight ahead)?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20