wind test with drone phantom 4, how much wind does he hold?

Reaction score
I did 2 small tests with the Phantom 4, one in the Parana peak, the highest mountain in southern Brazil, where it really sells a lot because of its height.

And I did another when a tornado passed in the sea next to my city, where it also ventou much, were 2 tests to see how much the phantom 4 can handle, and in my tests it went very well.

Has anyone ever done any such testing, is there anything else on the internet about this?

Only the battery in the two tests took about 11 minutes (I returned with 35%, because I was afraid to go to the limit), usually about 21 to 23 minutes returning it to 15% battery.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I did 2 small tests with the Phantom 4, one in the Parana peak, the highest mountain in southern Brazil, where it really sells a lot because of its height.

And I did another when a tornado passed in the sea next to my city, where it also ventou much, were 2 tests to see how much the phantom 4 can handle, and in my tests it went very well.

Has anyone ever done any such testing, is there anything else on the internet about this?

Only the battery in the two tests took about 11 minutes (I returned with 35%, because I was afraid to go to the limit), usually about 21 to 23 minutes returning it to 15% battery.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Good testing and great view

Reactions: bronis
Knowing that winds speeds are uncertain, change with altitude and there can be wind gust that greatly exceed stead state speed I wouldn't even think about doing this kind of test. What is the top speed of the drone? Whatever that speed is is the top speed of the wind the drone can experience and not get pushed backwards. I don't see any need to test the wind resistance of the drone. My main concern is not flying in anything close to its top speed so I can be sure to recover it.

Knowing that winds speeds are uncertain, change with altitude and there can be wind gust that greatly exceed stead state speed I wouldn't even think about doing this kind of test. What is the top speed of the drone? Whatever that speed is is the top speed of the wind the drone can experience and not get pushed backwards. I don't see any need to test the wind resistance of the drone. My main concern is not flying in anything close to its top speed so I can be sure to recover it.
Yip that's a good point that slip me mind,(senior moment) ha

Reactions: IslaJim and bronis

So, in the heaviest test I did in the Parana peak, in the isolated mountain, it was 500 meters high to test the wind, but there was nothing, no plane route, no people, nothing, so I went to the maximum with the drone.

And my logic was to go against the wind, because I believed that he would not be able to go and when it came back, if I could not get him in the hand, he would land at least close to me for 500 meters at 1 km and would seek: -)

After all I had already walked 8 km to reach the top of the mountain which would be another 500 meters :)

But it was quiet, only that moment had control that was at 100% maximum and the drone got to go at 1.5km / h, but when I released the control it maintained the position, and I did not use the sport mode, I believe that in the sport would have gone much calmer

In my idea I had left the sport mode for some emergency, like the wind started to take the drone though, although it would bring him in my direction, it was not so crazy to send him random in space kkkkkkk

So after that I got curious and tested again at home when a storm was coming and in the 2 tests he took too much, just the battery, she spent twice what she normally spends.

So, in the heaviest test I did in the Parana peak, in the isolated mountain, it was 500 meters high to test the wind, but there was nothing, no plane route, no people, nothing, so I went to the maximum with the drone.

And my logic was to go against the wind, because I believed that he would not be able to go and when it came back, if I could not get him in the hand, he would land at least close to me for 500 meters at 1 km and would seek: -)

After all I had already walked 8 km to reach the top of the mountain which would be another 500 meters :)

But it was quiet, only that moment had control that was at 100% maximum and the drone got to go at 1.5km / h, but when I released the control it maintained the position, and I did not use the sport mode, I believe that in the sport would have gone much calmer

In my idea I had left the sport mode for some emergency, like the wind started to take the drone though, although it would bring him in my direction, it was not so crazy to send him random in space kkkkkkk

So after that I got curious and tested again at home when a storm was coming and in the 2 tests he took too much, just the battery, she spent twice what she normally spends.

Someone that is more knowledgeable about the drone can comment but I believe even if the drone is not in sport mode it will use whatever power is necessary to keep the drone locked in a position. That said I think you are correct that if you are trying to retrieve the drone you would have to have to be in sport mode to get it to fight against with all available power into the wind to bring it back to you.

I'm an old guy so climbing any mount is not in my future. I admire your diligence in making the trip. My main concern would be the unpredictability of the wind, even more so in mountainous areas where wind speeds in a particular location can increase dramatically due to topographical conditions.

Reactions: IslaJim
I find it interesting sometimes to measure wind at flight height. I usually don't fly in wind because video is often impaired, but if I get to my location and it's windy, I will sometimes still fly. The Phantom has a lot of wind resistance due to the long landing gear, so in ATTI it will coast along at the wind speed after about 20 or 30 seconds with no stick input. You can watch the speed in the telemetry increase in speed. When the craft stops increasing in speed, you have the approximate speed at that altitude. I've survived 38mph winds and made it back, however the landing was a bit hairy. No, I did not launch in this kind of wind, it came up suddenly out of nowhere. Fortunately I was upwind when the winds hit, so I simply put the craft in ATTI and floated along for about a mile, with a top speed of 38mph. I was on the top of a hill at the time where I think the winds were about 45mph (I didn't measure) because of the violence of the wind I was in, crazy wind. Tops of hills are often higher speed with the wind compressing at the bottom, hence increasing the wind at the top as it goes over the hill. I had to walk over behind the hill to catch my craft. There was no way to land on the ground, I would have surely ruined some props, hand catch was mandatory, and hairy at that. That day was a nightmare flight, but it all worked out.

I have experimented in higher winds, flying upwind out over the ocean. Fly lower altitude up wind for lower headwind speeds and higher aloft on the return. The phantom is amazing, it behaves well in winds above which I don't want to fly! Of course the battery runs down faster, I would NOT go downwind at the beginning of my flight then have to return upwind.

Attachments

• p4.JPG
    p4.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 299
I have experimented in higher winds, flying upwind out over the ocean. Fly lower altitude up wind for lower headwind speeds and higher aloft on the return. The phantom is amazing, it behaves well in winds above which I don't want to fly! Of course the battery runs down faster, I would NOT go downwind at the beginning of my flight then have to return upwind.

really I was impressed with it too, the bug is really strong

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers