Wind speed and gusts

Reaction score
Terrible day here. Everything flooded from ice jams. Some friends want me to fly over their houses to check for damage. Is 30 mph wind to much to fly if I only go with the wind.

Also there are 45mph gusts. I will only be going with the wind probably in attic mode. Need to check in on livestock if we can

Terrible day here. Everything flooded from ice jams. Some friends want me to fly over their houses to check for damage. Is 30 mph wind to much to fly if I only go with the wind.
It might be OK to launch and go straight up or to fly slowly upwind (as long as you have a sheltered launch spot).
But NEVER fly away downwind in a strong wind situation.

If you want to experiment a little, launch and go up 30-40 feet.
Is the drone holding position easily?
Try flying upwind and see what speed you can get.
Imagine coming home at that speed ... and it would be stronger if you go higher.
Also there are 45mph gusts. I will only be going with the wind probably in attic mode. Need to check in on livestock if we can
If you mean leaving the drone in the attic, that's OK.
If you think you can fly with real 45 mph winds, you'll be needing a new drone very soon.
Don't even try.

If you meant atti mode ... you need to start learning to fly all over again.

Max wind resistance speed is 23 mph. Sustained winds of 30 mph will push your drone away at 7 mph. At 45 mph in any mode it’s bye-bye Birdie

Last edited:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
In this video he pretty much just said what I told you in the previous post. If you are flying in P mode and the winds are stronger, switch to sports mode and you will be able to fly upwind. What he focuses on is never fly away from you downwind then expect it to be able to return upwind. Also, I was flying my drone the other day and I got a message indicating High Wind Velocity and to land ASAP. That was the first time I saw that message. Here is a video of it.

Fully agree with everyone here that has cautioned against flying. The DJI wind limits are on the cautious side. I have flown my P4P in 30 MPH wind and it does handle that well, but you must be extremely vigilant and experienced with flying in windy conditions. However the gusts will kill you. By definition, you can't plan on gusts. The most dangerous portion of the flight will be takeoff and landing. A sudden gust can ruin your day very quickly. In anything over 20 MPH, I always hand catch my P4P to protect against gusts tipping it over on landing.

Best advice is to wait until winds subside. Be safe and be cautious!

In this video he pretty much just said what I told you in the previous post. If you are flying in P mode and the winds are stronger, switch to sports mode and you will be able to fly upwind. What he focuses on is never fly away from you downwind then expect it to be able to return upwind. Also, I was flying my drone the other day and I got a message indicating High Wind Velocity and to land ASAP. That was the first time I saw that message. Here is a video of it.

You are correct Ansia, I was focusing more on the takeoff because you would have to give full stick forward to combat the winds and that could be dangerous and have your bird flip over.
I have flown with gusts up to 35 mph but never sustained winds at 30 mph. I would not recommend anyone to fly with sustained winds of 30 mph especially around structures but this is just my recommendation.
I too have seen those wind alerts telling me to land ASAP. I am pretty cautious about flying in highwinds.

Reactions: Ansia
Was planning on having someone downwind to catch it for landing but I had to cancel because it started raining and snowing again

Was planning on having someone downwind to catch it for landing but I had to cancel because it started raining and snowing again
I believe that was the drone God's telling you something! Disaster averted!!!

Reactions: Ansia
If you fly over 23 mph just kiss your drone good bye. There are a half dozen things that can go wrong. I suggest reading the manual and not the blogs

I guess the real question is just how urgent it is to fly right away vs. waiting for the winds to stop. In my case, I avoid flying in winds over 15 mph. Maybe under extreme circumstances, I'd break that guideline ... but I just can't think of any rational reasons right now.

I fly all the time in 15 mile per hour plus winds.I live in Nebraska 15 mile an hour wind is considered calm. My biggest fears were toppling the drone in the gusts. I made several flights today our county alone as over 35 bridges that were washed out from flood.

All the above warnings are good info. What is amazing to me that no one has mentioned that those 30 mph winds at ground level in stormy conditions could easily be 50 mph a couple hundred feet up. Same result however.........Droneless Sunday.

I fly all the time in 15 mile per hour plus winds.I live in Nebraska 15 mile an hour wind is considered calm. My biggest fears were toppling the drone in the gusts. I made several flights today our county alone as over 35 bridges that were washed out from flood.
I'm in Kansas Beerock and the same conditions apply here. Bought a used Inspire 1 in hopes that the more weight.......etc. would help but I still would wait for high winds. I hate loosing my toys. BTW: Wind here is at a measured 1 mph now. Today, I would fly! ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic