Will zip tying external 2.4 ghz antennas to the p3s legs interfere with the compass?

Reaction score
Hi, this is my 1st post.
I replaced my 2.4 antennas with the ones from the p3 Pro, as seen in this forum. There is a pic of the new 2.4 antennas zip tied to the legs. I noticed one of the antennas were zip tied right next to the compass. Could this possibly cause an issue? My understanding is that compasses need to be placed as far away from electromagnetic sources as possible.
When I performed this mod I was afraid of messing up the compass, so I taped one of the antennas to the side of the bird. Long story short, is this something to worry about?
I tried to find the answer here before posting, but wasn't able to find a definitive answer.

...Could this possibly cause an issue?
Yes.

We don't know what you're modding.

DJI moved the compass from the vertical leg to the horizontal brace of the leg (above the rubber foot) when they designed the P3P. So that's an idea.

Also the dipoles are popular because they can be mounted away from the leg and can be manipulated on the correct plane with the RC's signal to maximize the strength of the connection with the controller.

https://phantompilots.com/attachments/img_7934-1-jpeg.21148/

Anytime you add, remove, or relocate items containing metals you should recalibrate. There are exceptions such as aluminum.

As far as relocating the compass, it must maintain proper orientation so the axes are properly aligned.

Not a P3, but this is my antenna configuration on the two back legs of my P2V+ which has never interfered with the compass.

Attachments

• Roux Drone.jpg
    Roux Drone.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 571
Yes.

We don't know what you're modding.

DJI moved the compass from the vertical leg to the horizontal brace of the leg (above the rubber foot) when they designed the P3P. So that's an idea.

Also the dipoles are popular because they can be mounted away from the leg and can be manipulated on the correct plane with the RC's signal to maximize the strength of the connection with the controller.

https://phantompilots.com/attachments/img_7934-1-jpeg.21148/
Sorry.
The thread I got this idea is from

Birdside antenna mod version 2.0.

It may not be an issue in this case depending on the metals, amounts used and specific locations/proximity and what you define as an issue.

The advice to perform magnetometer compensation every time when adding, removing, or relocating metallic items on the aircraft is recommended.

It’s the on-board items that the compensation is negating. Since these materials can distort the mag-field as the aircraft moves in space it’s important to compensate for them.

It may not be an issue in this case depending on the metals, amounts used and specific locations/proximity and what you define as an issue.

The advice to perform magnetometer compensation every time when adding, removing, or relocating metallic items on the aircraft is recommended.

It’s the on-board items that the compensation is negating. Since these materials can distort the mag-field as the aircraft moves in space it’s important to compensate for them.

Whit I define as an issue is more precaution. Id hate that this mod would screw up the compass mid flight on a RTH. I'll defiantly recalibrate the compass once I put the antenna back on the leg. Right now I have it taped to the side. Thanks for the input. BTW, I'm getting horrible video feed range, anything over 150 ' or so and I get stuttering and freezing issues, which is why I'm looking at anything that would help. I'm planning on the alpha antennas for the tx soon.

Okay - I didn't realize DJI had moved the compass to the leg base on the P3S - I incorrectly assumed it was like the P2 series. Thanks! And good luck!

Okay - I didn't realize DJI had moved the compass to the leg base on the P3S - I incorrectly assumed it was like the P2 series. Thanks! And good luck!

Where is the compass in the P2? I'm new at this DJI stuff, I coming over from the racing and acro side. I did built a racing 220 class quadcopter with a GPS/Compass. Because there is so much electrical noise on these things, keeping the compass clear of it all is next to impossible.

It is bolted to the vertical section on one of the legs and is thus external to it.
You can’t miss it on a P2

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1