Will you be switching from Phantom series to the new Mavic 2 series?

Will you be switching from Phantom series to the new Mavic 2 series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
- pixels of the 1/2.3" sensor are simply too small for real 4k resolution. If you do a proper resolution test on the 4k material from these sensors with down-to-earth lenses, you will see, that they rarely resolve more than fullHD.

The 4K samples I've downloaded from an M2Z seem pretty darn good to me, better than MP, likely due to the higher SD write speed. The main downside I see in M2Z is the low light capability, as compared to M2P of course. But M2Z does appear better than MP for low light.... for some reason. It could be better optics, but I'm not sure. Could be the sample was graded, even though the OP in the YouTube said it wasn't graded.

Reactions: DKG13CC
I'd wait with that conclusion until we see some real untouched samples from the m2z.

If I grab a 4K piece of footage from my P4P and crop it in to 1080 it looks crap. That's the only 2x zoom equivalent there is to compare to.
A 4K video optically 'zoomed' in is going to look better than a cropped 4K image, when we're talking about these drones.

If I grab a 4K piece of footage from my P4P and crop it in to 1080 it looks crap. That's the only 2x zoom equivalent there is to compare to.
A 4K video optically 'zoomed' in is going to look better than a cropped 4K image, when we're talking about these drones.
Haven't tried that but I believe you then. I'll give it a try though with both h.264 and 265 myself.

I know when I first did it and cropped a 4K video in post production I thought "Great! Free 1080 2x zoom!" Haha...But no, it doesn't work like that unfortunately.

On the P4 original there was a 2x lossless 1080 pinch zoom but it's no doable on the Pro.

The DJI software is pretty flakey. It's great if you can get it to work but I'm tired of struggling with it to get it to fly. It is simply not reliable enough to be there when you need it. I'll be transitioning out of the DJI product family for my next bird.

Yes , ordering. Mavic 2 Pro tomorrow. It will replace my Mavic Pro and phantom 4 ADV . Will buy phantom 5 when comes out .

I'm using a 10" Samsung Tab S2. In order to communicate with the controller I have to go into the developer options and set the USB to Ethernet manually. The Go Fly App should deal with this. Updating the firmware is a nightmare. I can't do it from my tablet I have to use my laptop and Assistant. If I'm ever out in the field and I need to update it I'm SOL. How would that look in front of a customer?

I'm using a 10" Samsung Tab S2. In order to communicate with the controller I have to go into the developer options and set the USB to Ethernet manually. The Go Fly App should deal with this. Updating the firmware is a nightmare. I can't do it from my tablet I have to use my laptop and Assistant. If I'm ever out in the field and I need to update it I'm SOL. How would that look in front of a customer?
Get an Ipad to fly your DJI drone. I prefer Android devices too, but had constant problems with two brand new Samsung tablets. I gave up when I used my wife's iPad Mini3 and everything started working like clockwork, perfect. I've had no problems with my iPad Mini 2 (except overheating in temps over 90F) or my Ipad Air2. I personally think DJI's android software team is lacking talent, although many fly with the Andriod app with no problem. My phone is Android because I dislike the IOS editor, but I only fly with IOS because it works great with the DJI app.

You shouldn't be updating ANYTHING in the field, too risky, not to mention inappropriate in front of a customer. Postpone all updates to do at home. That will prevent screwing up a flight commitment. Some updates may surprise you (many cases reported in the past) and you'll need a few days work out the kinks. IMO, the best plan is don't update at all. I haven't updated my P4P firmware or Go4 app in over a year, and my craft flies great, actually better than great. You don't need the latest GEO restrictions to fly, leave it alone and fly.

Reactions: With The Birds
I had the Mavic Air and the Phantom 4 Pro for a while. For applications where lighting was good (not low) and the final image that was needed was no larger than 11x14 or the video was not displayed on a screen greater than 27", you could not differentiate my Air from my P4P shots. The Mavic was so portable, and had features made possible by the higher speed chips ... so I sold my P4P. I found the P4P was collecting dust. (you can see some of my work at www.schundlerphoto.net, under "gallery/aerial photography" and "gallery/video").

But ... I have ordered the Mavic 2 Pro to replace the Air as I will have applications that will require better resolution, higher dynamic range (for low light), and less noise. The Mavic 2 Pro also has the benefits of faster chip speed, excellent obstacle avoidance, and more advanced Intelligent Flight Modes. I feel very strongly that the drone for me is one I can put in my normal camera bag along with a Nikon 750 and two telephoto lenses. The Phantom line does not meet that requirement.

so, you didn't need the higher resolution and sold your P4P but now you are buying a drone that offers higher resolution because that's what you really needed all along :) However, I agree with one of your points, if you can't tell the difference between the two in a 27" screen you don't need a drone with better resolution but............. you need better glasses :)

Reactions: DKG13CC
I have put in an order for the Phantom 4 Pro v2 at BH where it is currently out of stock. Looks like the puppies are selling well.

There is a single reason I would not even consider the Mavic 2 Pro for any paid video work or when I am within driving distance of a photo or video shoot location; no global shutter. For me that's end of story. The worst part of every version of the Phantom before the P4 was that rolling shutter. There is nothing worse than getting the perfect footage only to have it ruined by a rolling shutter. They also do not do 4K at 60FPS which I use all the time for parallax shots.

I already have the Mavic Platinum but I only got it for when I'm on a vacation that involves cruise ships or plane rides; it's portability is light years ahead of the P4. As others have said, the Mavic is very sensitive to the wind, so much so that even if it had a global shutter I would not use it for professional video work. Customers do not care that there is a 10mph cross wind when they want you to film their sailboat commercial footage in a cinematic way. If I did not already have the Mavic I would get the Mavic 2 Pro for vacations because of the DR in its sensor but the IQ increase is not worth it to me since it's pretty much just for personal use.

So DJI has made sure to carefully arrange their lineup to appeal to just about everyone without taking away too much from their I2 and P4. I do not plan on upgrading at all to the Mavic 2 or the P5 unless the P5 offers increased dynamic range over the P4 and at least a 30MP sensor. Ideally it will also use the same battery as the P4, but DJI makes sure that never happens. Perfection would be squeezing a MFT sensor into the P5 but since DJI has the I2 I don't see that ever happening unless the I2 goes FF which will also probably never happen because they have their S series to protect.

DJI has mastered the art of the lineup just like Canon has, but unlike Canon, DJI has no competition so they have no incentive to keep improving camera quality; instead they are focusing more on gimmicks and modes for beginners which are mainly software improvements vs hardware.

Last edited:
I bought a Mavic 2 Pro and love almost every bit of it except the image quality I'm getting. Shooting moving ships on the river I and others are getting moire patterns and not being able to shoot 60 fps is a problem. Now, with that said, once ND filters arrive and I can drop the shutter speed I will reevaluate...

There is a single reason I would not even consider the Mavic 2 Pro for any paid video work or when I am within driving distance of a photo or video shoot location; no global shutter. For me that's end of story. The worst part of every version of the Phantom before the P4 was that rolling shutter. There is nothing worse than getting the perfect footage only to have it ruined by a rolling shutter. They also do not do 4K at 60FPS which I use all the time for parallax shots.

I already have the Mavic Platinum but I only got it for when I'm on a vacation that involves cruise ships or plane rides; it's portability is light years ahead of the P4. As others have said, the Mavic is very sensitive to the wind, so much so that even if it had a global shutter I would not use it for professional video work. Customers do not care that there is a 10mph cross wind when they want you to film their sailboat commercial footage in a cinematic way. If I did not already have the Mavic I would get the Mavic 2 Pro for vacations because of the DR in its sensor but the IQ increase is not worth it to me since it's pretty much just for personal use.

So DJI has made sure to carefully arrange their lineup to appeal to just about everyone without taking away too much from their I2 and P4. I do not plan on upgrading at all to the Mavic 2 or the P5 unless the P5 offers increased dynamic range over the P4 and at least a 30MP sensor. Ideally it will also use the same battery as the P4, but DJI makes sure that never happens. Perfection would be squeezing a MFT sensor into the P5 but since DJI has the I2 I don't see that ever happening unless the I2 goes FF which will also probably never happen because they have their S series to protect.

DJI has mastered the art of the lineup just like Canon has, but unlike Canon, DJI has no competition so they have no incentive to keep improving camera quality; instead they are focusing more on gimmicks and modes for beginners which are mainly software improvements vs hardware.
You may need to find another single reason not to acquire a mavic 2- that is the common understanding is that the manual shutter on the P4P/A & V2 is only employed for stills. Video is shot with the manual shutter held wide open.

Reactions: FlyingUser
You may need to find another single reason not to acquire a mavic 2- that is the common understanding is that the manual shutter on the P4P/A & V2 is only employed for stills. Video is shot with the manual shutter held wide open.
Not to mention, manual shutter is still no global shutter... I don't know if even the high-end DJI cameras (x5s, x7) has global shutter...

Not to mention, manual shutter is still no global shutter... I don't know if even the high-end DJI cameras (x5s, x7) has global shutter...
No I don’t mention that. At longer exposure settings your typical focal plane shutter can do a pretty good approximation of a global shutter as both the leading and trailing shutter curtains operate to simultaneously clear the imaging area exposing the sensor/film completely (rather than a slit traversing vertically).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20