Will you be switching from Phantom series to the new Mavic 2 series?

Will you be switching from Phantom series to the new Mavic 2 series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The point is that the video you see when you click on the attached link is the video on VIMEO that most people see. It has many scenes. It is normally displayed on a computer screen. You can use the time mark to define which clips you feel are taken with which drone.

OK. I had a go - out of interest...how did I do?

Reactions: DKG13CC
Fair enough. My though also was that a phone screen (principally due to the small size and high pixel density) was almost certainly amongst the least useful devices to make a reasonable comparison. I did suspect however @DKG13CC might have appreciated that and that’s why they qualified their response.

Precisely. I felt that being able to see the differences (again, not discrediting the video, just accepting the challenge presented) on such small media made any reference to a larger screen size irrelevant.

Reactions: andy_k
OK. I had a go - out of interest...how did I do?
Home run !!!
What was the size of the LCD display you used? For most people, the size of display they use would make it impossible to tell the difference.
Congratulations

Home run !!!
What was the size of the LCD display you used? For most people, the size of display they use would make it impossible to tell the difference.
Congratulations

BTW ... Below is a low light stress test or the Mavic 2 Pro. This was 25 minutes before sunrise. It was the darkest of the blue hour. Not too bad for a camera that is being trashed by many reviewer’s.
upload_2018-10-4_2-47-40.jpeg

V
BTW ... Below is a low light stress test or the Mavic 2 Pro. This was 25 minutes before sunrise. It was the darkest of the blue hour. Not too bad for a camera that is being trashed by many reviewer’s.
View attachment 104003
Very nice. Ridiculous performance for such a small package.

You could straighten up the horizon and apply a touch of noise reduction, it’s definitely a keeper..... Not sure about the blue cast.

Home run !!!
Congratulations

Thanks Russ - I did it on my laptop so 17" (calibrated) screen. I tried it on the 40" screen but the resolution of the original video wasn't high enough to make any difference.

What makes the difference stand out for me is the details (particularly those where there is motion). Look at the waves breaking over the rocks in the P4Pro clips and then look at them in the Mavic clips - there's a very apparent difference. You can apply the same to any textured surface. the Mavic ones looked less dynamic and the bokeh not as clean - the differences were subtle but obvious at the same time.

Cheers

Reactions: OOO and DKG13CC
V

Very nice. Ridiculous performance for such a small package.

You could straighten up the horizon and apply a touch of noise reduction, it’s definitely a keeper..... Not sure about the blue cast.

I wanted to show what the raw image looked like before extensive post processing. It was, without noise reduction, noisier than my Nikon 750 for the low level lighting that time of morning, but that's a tough standard. The horizon is easy to adjust. Finally, the image had a cool blue cast having been taken 25 minutes before sunrise. As photographer/artist, you know, we have liberties to make the image warmer than it really was. When I did that, I was really uncomfortable that it was not what I saw. About 1/2 hour later, during the golden hour, it would be much warmer, but the sky would, by then, be a warmer yellow/blue. But ... as you indicated, this is very subjective.

Reactions: OOO and mastix
I wanted to show what the raw image looked like before extensive post processing. It was, without noise reduction, noisier than my Nikon 750 for the low level lighting that time of morning, but that's a tough standard. The horizon is easy to adjust. Finally, the image had a cool blue cast having been taken 25 minutes before sunrise. As photographer/artist, you know, we have liberties to make the image warmer than it really was. When I did that, I was really uncomfortable that it was not what I saw. About 1/2 hour later, during the golden hour, it would be much warmer, but the sky would, by then, be a warmer yellow/blue. But ... as you indicated, this is very subjective.
Simply a suggestion as to what could be done to improve the image significantly (noise and crooked horizon) from a technical perspective. The point really is, as you have indicated, both are simple tasks that can be performed with pretty much no post processing knowledge and basic software. In other words- its a great camera that anyone can get great results with with easily.

As to the blue cast- just as easy to correct/adjust and subject to taste, absolutely.

Reactions: Russ43Phantom
49F401B8-CE79-4955-8BF1-9530B90B8CC4.jpeg
Re the blue- this is an M2P jpg with the camera set on auto white balance. Yes it was heavily overcast and the sky was grey tending blue but not like it is rendered in the jpg straight off the card.

If I decided to do something with this image (working from DNG) I would probably adjust the sky separately. I would straighten the horizon also.

The point really is this isn’t bad image quality straight from the card given the portability and overall feature set/performance. I’m happy with my M2. I’m not sure my P4P is that much better at anything that I might favour it for an outing now.

Reactions: DKG13CC
It seems as the Phantom 4 crashes the Mavic 2 Pro in image quality. It's pity I think with just the same quality than the P4P many of them would have jumped ship for a more portable solution with same image quality. Maybe next time.....

Reactions: OOO
It seems as the Phantom 4 crashes the Mavic 2 Pro in image quality. It's pity I think with just the same quality than the P4P many of them would have jumped ship for a more portable solution with same image quality. Maybe next time.....
Seems how?

Seems how?

you like the Mavic 2 Pro, that's great but in straight comparisons and unbiased reviews the P4P seems to offer better quality imagery, more modes, better frame rates etc etc etc. The question was who's planning on switching. Some of those that have switched already are happy, others are not and that seems to be the overall conclusion. For me, it appears that switching from my P4Pro would currently be a backward step and until I see any results that prove me wrong then I will be sticking with what i have.

Reactions: OOO
He has been around (was on the forum not long ago). Maybe he isn't interested in a protracted pixel peeping marathon. He wouldn't be alone......

yet you continue to join in posting images for comparison and commenting on comparison images! Oh and has Russ has responded maybe he had more interest than you (or indeed than you thought he did) :D

you like the Mavic 2 Pro, that's great but in straight comparisons and unbiased reviews the P4P seems to offer better quality imagery, more modes, better frame rates etc etc etc. The question was who's planning on switching. Some of those that have switched already are happy, others are not and that seems to be the overall conclusion. For me, it appears that switching from my P4Pro would currently be a backward step and until I see any results that prove me wrong then I will be sticking with what i have.
My question was to @mastix with an intent to learn what comparisons/direct experience might be relied on in forming the assessment.

Do you have any direct experience with the M2? Is there any such thing as an unbiased review? Pixel peeping and test chart evaluation certainly is a legitimate pursuit as is subjective evaluation of how graded footage and processed DNG files of real life scenes look. It seems a lot of the so called unbiased testing has employed flawed discipline in performing the tests. Go and have a look at the tests performed by @sar104 in the mammoth thread over at mavicpilots if your interested. Still imaging of the M2P is on par with the Sony RX100IV, not a cheap little camera (very well reviewed and respected) and it doesn't fly. Yes there are more aliasing artefacts apparent with the M2P in FOV video mode- that might be a deal breaker if your intended application for the M2 was to shoot test charts. My guess for most people that isn't the case.

I can tell you my opinion- you definitely don't need to consider switching from the P4P (based on my subjective evaluation based on actual use). If anything the stills from the M2P appear to have more natural colour and are if anything are slightly sharper. This whole carry on about the FOV 4K being really poor hasn't been my experience. Yes the HQ mode is sharper off the card and the P4P seems to be sharper (FOV) however for me the M2 has a more film like feel to it which I actually prefer.

Will I be abandoning the P4? No. I will favour the M2P in all instances where portability is an issue without any fear of any drastic loss of imaging performance though.

Personally I think any attempt to directly compare he P4P/A & V2 to the M2P/Z is silly, at least to the extent we might expect DJI's intent is for the M2 to provide better performance. They are different products. Lets compare the P4P to the Inspire 2 shall we?

What we do know is that the M2 offers ridiculously good imaging performance for its size and overall feature set- something we might have only dreamed about only two years ago.

Reactions: mastix
yet you continue to join in posting images for comparison and commenting on comparison images! Oh and has Russ has responded maybe he had more interest than you (or indeed than you thought he did) :D
I think Russ might have a significantly greater appreciation for the pursuance of his creations of artistic merit than spec sheets and pixel peeping test charts. Just a guess.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik