Will you be switching from Phantom series to the new Mavic 2 series?

Will you be switching from Phantom series to the new Mavic 2 series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You may need to find another single reason not to acquire a mavic 2- that is the common understanding is that the manual shutter on the P4P/A & V2 is only employed for stills. Video is shot with the manual shutter held wide open.

You have it backwards, the mechanical shutter is used mainly for video and the electronic shutter is used for shutter speeds faster than 1/2000 which of course is for photography. Even DJI admitted in an interview that they developed the mechanical shutter for speeds slower than 1/2000 to eliminate jello in video. The documentation on the shutter specs is right on their info page:

DJI Phantom 4 Pro – Specs, Tutorials & Guides – DJI

You have it backwards, the mechanical shutter is used mainly for video and the electronic shutter is used for shutter speeds faster than 1/2000 which of course is for photography. Even DJI admitted in an interview that they developed the mechanical shutter for speeds slower than 1/2000 to eliminate jello in video. The documentation on the shutter specs is right on their info page:

Where exactly is it saying there, that you got a mechanical shutter running at 60 or even 120p?

Where exactly is it saying there, that you got a mechanical shutter running at 60 or even 120p?
60p and 120p is simply the frame rate of the video, it has nothing to do with the shutter speed. At 60p you typically have a 1/120 shutter speed, at 120p you typically have a 1/240 shutter speed, both speeds are well below 1/2000 which is when the mechanical shutter is used.

60p and 120p is simply the frame rate of the video, it has nothing to do with the shutter speed. At 60p you typically have a 1/120 shutter speed, at 120p you typically have a 1/240 shutter speed, both speeds are well below 1/2000 which is when the mechanical shutter is used.

Who is concerned about the shutter speed??

Mechanical shutter in video would mean that the shutter opens and closes once for each frame. This would wear down the mechanical parts extremely quickly. The <<1Million cycles lifetime these parts have would mean that your camera is very dead after about 10hours of 30p video (1.1M cycles). And I was generous with the 1M figure, camera manufacturers usually rate their shutters between 100k-300k cycles.

Still curious where have you got the information, that the p4p (or any other DJI cameras, up to the x7) use mechanical shutter for video....

Last edited:

There is no way known that the mechanical shutter could arm fire and reset 60 times a second for video- where did you get this idea from? You are shooting video with electronic shutter.

Who is concerned about the shutter speed??

Mechanical shutter in video would mean that the shutter opens and closes once for each frame. Of course doable, but wears down the mechanical parts extremely quickly. The <<1Million cycles lifetime these parts have would mean that your camera is very dead after about 10hours of 30p video (1.1M cycles). And I was generous with the 1M figure, camera manufacturers usually rate their shutters between 100k-300k cycles.

Still curious where have you got the information, that the p4p (or any other DJI cameras, up to the x7) use mechanical shutter for video....
Its not doable- if it was it would be a waste of time as the sensor would still be running with electronic shutter anyway.

Its not doable- if it was it would be a waste of time as the sensor would still be running with electronic shutter anyway.

I can't bring a 30p example, but some full frame dslr's do 15+fps, probably wouldn't be impossible to make a 30p one for the much smaller 1" sensor - but completely useless...

You lost me- just read it twice- what is your point?
Very simple, even if someone made a 30frames/sec capable mechanical shutter (probably exists somewhere), it would be useless for video, because it dies in a couple of hours shooting. These things are for single bursts.

Very simple, even if someone made a 30frames/sec capable mechanical shutter (probably exists somewhere), it would be useless for video, because it dies in a couple of hours shooting. These things are for single bursts.
Service life is a secondary and largely irrelevant consideration, at least with respect to video, where the mechanical shutter has no benefit.

I have the p4p and have the whole system at firmwares which allow me to fly without wind and geo nags and limitations. A new Mavic would be a step in the wrong direction for me in terms of navigational software flight experience. The mavics look like great birds but at a cost of freedom in the sky? No thanks. That's the spoiler with new dji birds, the newer restrictive software that comes along with it.

So when did the firmware change? So you have no geo fence with yours?

I have to agree , the 509 firmware is what make the adventure complete and any thing more restrictive is a step back, Special effects are cool but freedom to fly high - far and fast is also powerful. The phantom 4 P and the 509 that is a fantastic combination and provides the most fun.

What is this 509 thing your talking about?

I'm not switching... I'm happy with my P4P-Obsidian.
Still on the old firmware, and I can do anything I want.
Most of the time, I'm flying on Atti mode, and it'll just cut through the wind.

What firmware? When did it change?

so, you didn't need the higher resolution and sold your P4P but now you are buying a drone that offers higher resolution because that's what you really needed all along :) However, I agree with one of your points, if you can't tell the difference between the two in a 27" screen you don't need a drone with better resolution but............. you need better glasses :)

When I tried to tell what footage on this video
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
was shot with my Mavic Air or my P4P, I decided that on a 27” display you can’t tell which drone captured which footage. I would challenge you to make an attempt to differentiate the two drones. Than make a more intelligent comment.

was shot with my Mavic Air or my P4P, I decided that on a 27” display you can’t tell which drone captured which footage. I would challenge you to make an attempt to differentiate the two drones. Than make a more intelligent comment.

The video you posted will not play full screen on a 27 inch nor a 80 inch, that is where i see the differences mostly.

you know, it's really easy to tell which was shot on which - take away the 'perfect lighting' and shoot the same movie again - the 4 Pro will easily outclass the Air (unless you need glasses). View them on a 4K screen you will immediately see the difference (unless you need glasses). Edit them
in any software and you will immediately see the difference (unless you need glasses)

So yeah, I will happily accept your challenge and view them (uncompressed/unedited) on my 40" monitor and I'll tell you the difference with one eye shut (because I accept that I do need to wear glasses and embrace them because they make my vision much better)

If we are discussing 'intelligent comments' maybe you shold take a look at the person saying that a sensor 1/5th the size of another can produce indiscernible results.

Reactions: FlyingUser

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31