Will this work?

Reaction score
still haven't flown my first copter D3P, my question is will an iPad mini 1st generation 16g work fine for viewing? Thanks Jim

No. You'll need at least an iPad Mini 2. You can find a list of other recommended and commonly used devices here.

Reactions: JohnnyB
The first gen is below minimum spec as has been pointed out. Think about what apps you plan on using when buying a tablet. Visual tracking requires higher processing spec to perform acceptably (on the P3, DJI's buy in or the Movidius SOC on P4 and MAVIC makes this less relavent). If you plan on using Litchi, Autipilot etc factor this in along with whether you need GPS (if sticking with Apple products).

Yeah I have to use a 1st gen Mini and its terrible.

Thank you for the info, so I'm looking at a mini2 with wifi 16g minimum. Correct?

A 16GB is plenty if you're only using it for flying.

Thank you for the info, so I'm looking at a mini2 with wifi 16g minimum. Correct?
Depends what you hope to do, ie the non cellular version has no GPS so features like dynamic homepoint and follow won't be available to you. If I made a recommendation I would say, if Apple is your flavour, the cellular version of the Air 2 is hard to beat.

the non cellular version has no GPS so features like dynamic homepoint and follow won't be available to you.
Not necessarily. Specifically talking about Android devices, you can choose "Device Only", which uses only GPS and no WWAN (cell data). On Apple devices, it will automatically adjust to its equivalent of the "Device Only" mode. The map may not function properly, however. You are correct in that aspect. But if you were to couple the compass and strong GPS signal of a mobile device, the P3 should be able to use the "Follow Me" mode properly. @Fairgame I would not recommend using a low spec device for live video and capture. It will likely fail to show on your device.

Not necessarily. Specifically talking about Android devices, you can choose "Device Only", which uses only GPS and no WWAN (cell data). On Apple devices, it will automatically adjust to its equivalent of the "Device Only" mode. The map may not function properly, however. You are correct in that aspect. But if you were to couple the compass and strong GPS signal of a mobile device, the P3 should be able to use the "Follow Me" mode properly. @Fairgame I would not recommend using a low spec device for live video and capture. It will likely fail to show on your device.
Specifically talking about Apple devices, which I was (the OP is interested in IPAD's), the non cellular models of IPAD do not have GPS.

While what you have suggested for android tablets I understand to be correct follow mode does not need a compass in the device to function, GPS is all that is required.

Your device only mode suggestion has no relavence here and is incorrect if the device has no GPS functionality.

Wow.. TMI all at once haha. So since I have very little to no experience flying with or without GPS, and I will learn. I just picked up a mint IPad2 16g with WiFi only for $100. So I'm gonna start there,learn and enjoy.. I thank all of you for the input....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic