Will the P4 Be Able to Do This?

Reaction score
I'm considering buying a P4. I like what the "promo" video shows regarding new capabilities. I have a few scenarios in mind that I would want it for but wonder if it will work like I imagine..

Scenario 1 - I take my motorcycle out to a Road Racing Course. I put the bird in Sport mode, I use active track to "select" my motorcycle, I set the P4 free to video.. Around the slower sections of the track and at a given altitude I can see it keeping up, but what happens when I hit that huge straight where I hit 165 mph? I know it can't do that speed and even at a bit of altitude it won't keep up (same principle as tracking an object in the sky at a distance). If it loses sight of me what will it do? Will it hover? RTH? I guess that might be one of the "settings"? If I come back into view because the track double backs on itself and its within "x" number of seconds before RTH or Hover kicks in, but now I'm facing the P4 instead of having my back to it, will it recognize me and continue to follow/track?

And if I'm on tighter section of the course, where say at 40' feet you can see a couple of the corners, will it "follow me" into and out of each corner or basically draw a straight line and fly and film that?

Scenario 2 - Same basic set-up but I'm in a canyon setting. The P4 is following me at my 4 o'clock about 50' feet away, the road makes a blind 90 degree turn to the left. Blind because the mountain side is there and you can't really see around the turn. How will the P4 navigate around it once it sees it as an obstacle? Since it doesn't have "look up" sonar, I can't imagine it would go in that direction cause there may be a hanging ledge. how does it determine whether going left or right is the correct way to go to get around the object? In my example the correct way would be to the right...

Interested to hear your thoughts

FWIK no and no. First because in sport mode tracking don't work. Second because p4 don't turn around obstacles, it just not hit them if are in front of it and are big enough.

FWIK no and no. First because in sport mode tracking don't work. Second because p4 don't turn around obstacles, it just not hit them if are in front of it and are big enough.
I agree with your first statement, sport mode does not have active tracking but in one of the P4 review @msinger posted that was written by the DJI director of education, they said that soon the P4 will be able to not only stop in front of obstacles but re-route around them.

People are putting WAY too much trust in tracking and avoidance capability of the P4. I think most people will use tracking once or twice and then see that it's use is _very_ limited. As far as avoidance... this should only happen if you screw up and are about to crash... so again, should be very limited use by design. IMHO, it's _not_ like it will just fly around everything perfectly. I think people are going to find that it can screw up and in many cases the P4 will simply stop to avoid something.

I'm considering buying a P4. I like what the "promo" video shows regarding new capabilities. I have a few scenarios in mind that I would want it for but wonder if it will work like I imagine..

Scenario 1 - I take my motorcycle out to a Road Racing Course. I put the bird in Sport mode, I use active track to "select" my motorcycle, I set the P4 free to video.. Around the slower sections of the track and at a given altitude I can see it keeping up, but what happens when I hit that huge straight where I hit 165 mph? I know it can't do that speed and even at a bit of altitude it won't keep up (same principle as tracking an object in the sky at a distance). If it loses sight of me what will it do? Will it hover? RTH? I guess that might be one of the "settings"? If I come back into view because the track double backs on itself and its within "x" number of seconds before RTH or Hover kicks in, but now I'm facing the P4 instead of having my back to it, will it recognize me and continue to follow/track?

And if I'm on tighter section of the course, where say at 40' feet you can see a couple of the corners, will it "follow me" into and out of each corner or basically draw a straight line and fly and film that?

Scenario 2 - Same basic set-up but I'm in a canyon setting. The P4 is following me at my 4 o'clock about 50' feet away, the road makes a blind 90 degree turn to the left. Blind because the mountain side is there and you can't really see around the turn. How will the P4 navigate around it once it sees it as an obstacle? Since it doesn't have "look up" sonar, I can't imagine it would go in that direction cause there may be a hanging ledge. how does it determine whether going left or right is the correct way to go to get around the object? In my example the correct way would be to the right...

Interested to hear your thoughts

I'm not sure if you have already seen this video of the Phantom 4, but it may answer some of your questions if they have not been answered already.
Enjoy your flight!

THANK YOU!

That answered my questions! After watching that video I'm not so sure I'll be buying the P4. The tech/improvements aren't quite enough yet for what I want. When it can do what I want in my OP scenarios, video me around a racetrack (I don't mean do 165 mph), I'll buy it. I know they are close, maybe a year out.

One question the video left me with was the collision avoidance. When it came up on the flags it sat and hovered. The DJI rep said thats exactly what it will do with Collision Avoidance. So that sounds to me like you need to take some action to get it "moving" again. Otherwise, it will sit till the low-battery comes on and then it will RTH back...

Which brings up another question from the video. It mentions Collision Avoidance will also work during RTH. So what happens during RTH if it encounters an obstacle? Is it just going to hover in place in front of the obstacle till the battery gets so low it just lands?

Thanks again for the response!!!!

I'm not sure if you have already seen this video of the Phantom 4, but it may answer some of your questions if they have not been answered already.
Enjoy your flight!

People are putting WAY too much trust in tracking and avoidance capability of the P4. I think most people will use tracking once or twice and then see that it's use is _very_ limited. As far as avoidance... this should only happen if you screw up and are about to crash... so again, should be very limited use by design. IMHO, it's _not_ like it will just fly around everything perfectly. I think people are going to find that it can screw up and in many cases the P4 will simply stop to avoid something.
Can your crystal ball give me some lotto numbers too please?

THANK YOU!

That answered my questions! After watching that video I'm not so sure I'll be buying the P4. The tech/improvements aren't quite enough yet for what I want. When it can do what I want in my OP scenarios, video me around a racetrack (I don't mean do 165 mph), I'll buy it. I know they are close, maybe a year out.

One question the video left me with was the collision avoidance. When it came up on the flags it sat and hovered. The DJI rep said thats exactly what it will do with Collision Avoidance. So that sounds to me like you need to take some action to get it "moving" again. Otherwise, it will sit till the low-battery comes on and then it will RTH back...

Which brings up another question from the video. It mentions Collision Avoidance will also work during RTH. So what happens during RTH if it encounters an obstacle? Is it just going to hover in place in front of the obstacle till the battery gets so low it just lands?

Thanks again for the response!!!!

You also bring up some great questions. The best knowledge gained is experience which we gain on this forum. As people buy these great birds (for some great, for some not quite what they want), we will learn more as time goes on. Glad this helped. Great flights to you whatever bird you fly.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl