Will P4Pro get Waypoint 2.0 (like the Mavic Pro)?

Reaction score
I'm happily using Litchi for this functionality right now but I'm curious to know if the recent updates for Mavic will become available on the P4Pro?

I cant think of any reason why they cant implement this to all there drones other than marketing strategy. DJI GS Pro works on most of there drones. We will see this on our phantoms too. It better not be just for phantom 5 or I will be pissed.

Back when I first bought my P3S there were upgrades to the Pro and Advanced that never made it to the P3S , I can't remember what they were but I know they could have put them on the P3S , they weren't specific to the hardware of the Pro or Advanced but DJI simply refused to upgrade the P3S when they could have !

I think the last phantom upgrade that dji has/had planned was the Phanton 4 RTK. Other than that i think the phantom days are over, including never seeing a P5.

The Mavic 2 itself could not take advantage of the new feature until a firmware updates was released to incorporate it. I strongly suspect that any aircraft that runs the DJI GO 4 app can be updated to take advantage of the feature with a firmware upgrade. As to whether DJI will release such upgrades ..... ahhhh that's the question.

From my perspective it is a non issue. There are a number of lacks in the still developing DJI waypoints 2 feature like the ability to plot waypoints with height AGL respect to ground level and not take off point that make Litchi still the benchmark (especially for my commercial operations).

If they indeed expand it to include the other Mavics, the P4's and the Sparks I'll give it a "creditable attempt" mark.

Regards
Ari

It would be disappoint if not; if the technology can handle it, then it should be made available or DJI are just taking advantage of marketing 1 product when they should be looking after their existing customers just as well.

We are currently using the Waypoints 2 in the Mavic 2 and it is frustrating, besides the footage being a little jerky on any of the arc footage , its the platform that is bad news.

I spend most of my time deleting accidental waypoints no matter how careful I am at panning the map. They forgot to put a button that allows you pan the map without adding a waypoint. Dangerous as you can very accidetally fly without even knowing a way point was added.

If you are using litchi your not missing out , The Waypoints 2 need another update , than maybe you might see it on the Phantom needless to say its not smooth footage , its not a joy to use but it works at rudimentary level just fine.

It's silly that my P4P can't do something (pre-flight waypoints) that my 2016 Autel X-Star Premium could do.

Reactions: roosta
I really couldn't care less whether Waypoints 2 comes to the P4P .. I need waypoints missions for big boys. Waypoints 2 is fun to play with and I'm sure it will meet the needs of many recreational fliers and give many hours of entertainment in benign terrain but (always the but isn't there?) it's not even going to come close to serious usage.

For example, recently I have to do a photomosaic of a rain forest resort on 10 acres. It was situated in a tight valley in the Gold Cost hinterland. The elevation differential from the lowest waypoint to the highest waypoint was 87m (285ft) and because of the rainforest I was strictly limited in my choice of take off/ landing options having to take off from a point in the lower elevation spectrum.

Because of the rapidly changing terrain with the resort being in the valley surrounded by the forest clad ridges on two sides I had to plot way points every 5 m (18ft) (around 100 of them) and relied on DJIflightplanner to determine the optimal flight path and then exported it into litchi and went through and set all way points height to be in relation to ground elevation not the default "in relation to take off point" you get with the Go 4 app in general and waypoints 2 as a flow on.

Being able to do this before the fact on a P.C. interface with a pointing device and lots of screen real estate was in the end probably what made it possible, trying to do it on a tablet would have done my head in. It took several hours on the P.C. as it was.

I ended up with around 300 images all taken from less than 1m variation of the hieght above terrain and a perfect stitch on the first try. If I had of used waypoints 2 I would have ended up with automated flight into terrarain most likely or at best a simple halt of the mission every 5 minutes due to sensors detecting terrain. Even were it able to avoid terrain and fly over it as it came within range of the sensors the variation in height above terrain of the pictures would have rendered them all but unusable.

This is only one of several serious lacks that many other people have noted in waypoints 2 but it is an easy example to give.

As I said before, I can see no technical reason why a firmware can not be released for the P4 to use the waypoints 2 feature or any other bird operated by the GO 4 app, Litch supports everything from Spark to Matrice .. but it's going to have to be refined a long way further to move from "interesting gadget" to "serious tool".

Regards
Ari

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic