Will HDMI Glasses work with P3A?

Hi guys,
I don't know, but if I look at "my" comparison table, solution #1 (VR Goggles+smartphone) seems to overcome all the others (at least for us P3A/P users).

Besides, my gut feelings keep telling me new Phantom will have 3D viewing, so we'll be prepared when time comes!!

The DJI app is bound to get that fake 3D like Litchi soon but it is just that, fake 3D. When you take one image and break into 2 then distort it to work with the regular lenses in VR glasses quality goes downhill pretty bad. The best image I have gotten so far was from an iPad tablet or for FPV from my phone in single screen magnified with reading glasses or other aspherical lenses.

Well, Jon, I dunno. Strong feelings tell me they'll use 2 actual cameras/2 sensors. Maybe limiting range because that'll need more bandwidth, but maybe the 3D vision will be switchable in order to still offer extended range ....

2 High quality cameras to give a true 3D experience would be very expensive and heavy. The cameras that shoot movies in 3D do so to imitate the human eye distance to give that true 3D effect. DJI would need to have (2) 4K cameras mounted at a perfect distance from each other and layer those images properly. Imagine a double sized gimbal with double the weight and a big video processing unit. I am not saying it can't be done, but I am sure the P4 will be 4K with a lot of extras like collision avoidance cameras and maybe longer battery life, retractable landing gear, etc.

2 High quality cameras to give a true 3D experience would be very expensive and heavy. The cameras that shoot movies in 3D do so to imitate the human eye distance to give that true 3D effect. DJI would need to have (2) 4K cameras mounted at a perfect distance from each other and layer those images properly. Imagine a double sized gimbal with double the weight and a big video processing unit. I am not saying it can't be done, but I am sure the P4 will be 4K with a lot of extras like collision avoidance cameras and maybe longer battery life, retractable landing gear, etc.

Jon, please have a look at this: The BlackBird 2 - flight stereo camera for fpv
"real" FPV guys are already flying 3D! So this won't be inventing the wheel ... just bringing it to the masses !

... however, after all, we're just speculating:wink:

Reactions: Reed L
I stand corrected on the availability of 3D. This is lower resolution but would be nice for FPV. I still think the P4 may not offer this since Phantoms are known as superior quality filming cameras. I like it though. You could have this for FPV then leave the other camera for great video quality. BUT I still think that 2D 720P would be a better experience than NTSC 525/60 which is actual 486 lines of resolution + 39 vertical fillers. BUT in a small screen that may look good even magnified. PLUS, I would have to have my long dorky looking headset since 2 screens could have a shorter focal length due to the accommodation and convergence problems single screens face. I think I have been reading too much optical stuff on Google lately. Just take a look at the headsets I have been hacking on.

I made a Quanum/Cardboard/4X HD FPV Viewer from my phone

Will HDMI Glasses work with P3A?

Because of these things I thing the best FPV experience with current affordable options would come from using a Headplay via HDMI IF you have the P3P camera for the higher 10mb bitrate. I have not actually stuck my head in a Headplay yet but it looks like a well made headset with a 7" true HD screen. I of course would throw away the Fresnel lens and add one that some guy makes that looks a lot like my Jeweler magnifier lenses that I added to my VR viewer the other day. If your looking for cheap and easy it is hard to beat cheap reading glasses. Ones from the Dollar store gave me the best optics out of the other 10 things I have wasted money on.

Last edited:
Update. I went ahead and got a P3P for the better bitrate. Thanks to shipping issues (it was lost for 2 weeks) and me selling my P3A before getting the P3P I could not use them back and forth to see the difference but I THINK I am getting a better, less pixelated view now with the higher bitrate from the P3P.

Update. I went ahead and got a P3P for the better bitrate. Thanks to shipping issues (it was lost for 2 weeks) and me selling my P3A before getting the P3P I could not use them back and forth to see the difference but I THINK I am getting a better, less pixelated view now with the higher bitrate from the P3P.
I picked up a P3P also and the difference in the tablet view is outstanding with the P3P, a lot clearer and brighter for me. I still have my P3A

I picked up a P3P also and the difference in the tablet view is outstanding with the P3P, a lot clearer and brighter for me. I still have my P3A
5x the bit rate makes a huge difference! :cool:

Again, I'm really vexed that DJI did not make the differences of bit rate between P3P and P3A apparent when I was trying to decide between the two. I really thought the 4K vs HD and the charger speeds were the only differences. Grrrrr.

Ultimately, I don't think it will matter for me. I am looking at using either Samsung's VR Gear or the Zeiss VR One paired with Litchi to get an immersive headset experience. My current smartphone isn't compatible with either headset, so I will wait until I upgrade to leap on this one. I saw a video (I wish I knew where, I'd provide the hyperlink) where the DJI folks were saying that they were working with Samsung to build a version of DJI Go that will capitalize on the features of the headset. So perhaps I will time my upgrade & Gear VR purchase with the release of the DJI software.

I've read that Litchi's software works with Google cardboard, so I might pick up a cheap cardboard headset to see if I even like this idea. One detractor that jumps out at me is that without immediate access to the touch screen (once your phone is installed in the headset or Google cardboard) you can't switch modes (FPV to Follow, or even Normal to Course Lock). So snapping the phone into the headset means committing to a particular type of flight. I *think* the Samsung Gear VR has cursor control (via head movement? buttons on the side?), but that would have to be incorporated into the aircraft control apps as well in order to work, right?

A future version of Samsung's Gear VR is also supposed to support augmented reality. It would be great if the DJI or Litchi software allowed a user to switch between using the phone's camera (augmented reality mode) for take off and landing and non AR mode for FPV flying. (Always use a spotter if your head is in the goggles, right?)

I always thought that Epson Moverio BT-series headsets held promise, but I think (at last check) they ran older versions of Android making the control software compatibility a problem.

Anyway, I'm always interested in continuing this conversation.
--H

I was also ticked about the differences. It makes sense now that the P3A never had the same hardware for processing which is why they released it as 1080p then pushed it's limits up to 2.7k later. The P3P really has the muscle needed to do decent video processing and that is why it is better at FPV in my opinion. The Epson sounds cool but is probably not going to yield good results anyway since I learned the hard way that older versions of Android is a problem that is pretty much unsolvable. I even rooted my old RAZR to up the Android OS so I could use it and get the HDMI from the phone and it still would not run the DJI GO sw for more than a few seconds after 10 crashes just to get it started.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj