WiFi for flying Phantom 4

Reaction score
I'm new to this type of drone flying does anyone know if we need a WiFi connection in order for the GPS to work? I currently have a Samsung Galaxy Tablet E lite. Would I need a cellphone to use as a hotspot?

Sent from my SM-T113 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm new to this type of drone flying does anyone know if we need a WiFi connection in order for the GPS to work? I currently have a Samsung Galaxy Tablet E lite. Would I need a cellphone to use as a hotspot?
No .. you won't need wifi or internet data.
You could use GPS (the G stands for Global) or fly your Phantom in the middle of the desert or mid-ocean.

The GPS is a stand alone module and does not need wifi or internet. I use my old Samsung S5 with a boating chart program which uses the GPS in the phone without wifi or cell service.

I use iPad Mini 2 and as part of preflight before I fly in my yard I turn off the WiFi of the tablet to avoid any possible interference from nearby wireless contraptions.

I've got an iPad Pro. I also make sure WiFi is off when I fly. For me it makes a difference. I get a bit better range and a big reduction of 'glitches' in the video feed as I fly.

There is a way to mess around with the channels in DJI Go so that you can avoid conflicts, but I find just turning off WiFi on my device is much easier.

My iPad Pro has cellular data as well, but it doesn't seem to have any affect on video performance, so I leave it on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20