If i did get the horizon with Helical or the more affordable DBS mod "plate" which would you choose

• FPVLR mod with Helical for 150

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Get your own helical antennas

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
To introduce myself I'm JP living in the Central Coast of California and have purchased my first phantom series drone, the P3 Standard about 2 months ago. It seems like there is alot of good ppl here and alot of knowledge so i hope some of you could shed some light on my concern / issue.
(After reading please dont say you shoulld have gotten the horizon or DBS mod ....(lol) )

SO after getting the hang of basic operation, i like many wanted to maximize range/punch of my P3S because i currently just didnt have the funds to buy the advanced or pro models. (i feel like its standard or pro, the advanced doesnt make so much sense to me). SO for 600 bucks ive been having a ton of fun until i ordered 2 5.8 Panel antennas (links to follow) and a large 2.4ghz panel. Each unit is rated at 14dbi which i thought sounded like it would match the power of the dbs setup, even if not as pretty. I very carefully did the installation and ththink (maybe thought) i had done everything right. Then... Problem 1: The remote will no longer charge, at least the lights aren''t indicating so which i will still double check because i could have forgotten to connect one of the 3 cables properly. Side question here, if i did some how damage that little port would this replace the port ? Phantom 3 Cable Set (Standard) OR DJI Phantom 3 USB Port Cable (Part 47) [DJI-PH3-P47] | Parts - AMain Performance Hobbies) and also, any micro usb cable should work right ? not just the dji one... ?

2nd) Here are the parts i got to attempt and match some of these insane distances and feel safer flying in general. I got 2 of these Panel antennas ( Amazon.com: Ripafire® FPV 5.8G 14dBi High Gain Panel Antenna Aerial SMA Male Plug for 5.8GHz RX Receiver DJI Phantom Fixed-wing Multicopter(inner pin): Toys & Games) connected with these pigtails 2 x 8inch / 20cm Mini PCIe U.FL / IPEX to RP-SMA Antenna WiFi Wireless WAN Pigtail which happen to be RP-SMA so for the 5.8 i also had to put an RP-SMA Male (no pin) to and SMA-female(no Pin) connector in between that would go from the pigtails rp-sma female (with pin) to the antennas SMA Male, (with pin)and then figured go big or go home and got one of these ...Amazon.com: Yosoo Antenna Panel 2.4Ghz 14 dbi High Gain WiFi Wlan Extender Directional Long Range: Computers & Accessories. The 2.4 ghz center antenna is regular SMA to SMA and and video is still on when i lose control signal. Could mixing between RP-SMA and SMA be the issue ? It seems though that i'm just using the connector, which is basically 2 ":tubes" to connect the female with pin to the male with pin. But i guess it is still an RP cable going to the reg. SMA antenna ?

So ya, any advice, experiences would be greatly appreciated before i try and revert back to the stock - the center antenna which seems to be ok when i throw a 6db tlink antenna on it. I did get slightly further when i connected the big panel to the 2.4 and put a reg wifi router style antenna on 1 of the 2 5.8gc and smaller panel on the other so i feel like at least the connections are good or i prob. wouldn't get to 100ft anyway...

With the DBS antenna you should get ranges further than you can see. On the best day and keeping a keen eye I can get 2000 ft and my craft looks like a dot in the sky but I can still see her. Other days may be 1500 ft visual. I stay under the 400 ft. Happy Flying.

With the DBS antenna you should get ranges further than you can see. On the best day and keeping a keen eye I can get 2000 ft and my craft looks like a dot in the sky but I can still see her. Other days may be 1500 ft visual. I stay under the 400 ft. Happy Flying.

Thanks for the reply and yes, i am aware of the capabilities and real world range ppl are getting but this doesn't quite answer any of the current concerns i have. The setup i purchased and pieced together (total price less than $50) should theoretically have a longer range or similar so im trying to figure out why im not getting the same results. Please if anyone knows, could it be the polarity connections or is that just a bunch of copper wire toconnect the board to the antenna? I know with clovers u have to match them up correctly but i see the panel as more of a flat connection. Could it be the lack of a backplate ? I currently just have the 2 5.8 ghz antenna attached freely with the silver side pointing into the direction of flight. Maybe i have them backwards ? i saw a string where someone removed the "stock"5.8 antennas and mounted them of a metal plate similar to dbs and then put a helical in the middle for vid. so maybe the reflection off that is important ?

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj