Wielessly Mirroring the DJI Vision App on a TV

Reaction score
At the recent high-power rocket launch that I attended (see viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4862), I brought along a small TV which I set up in our trailer.

I hooked a Netgear Push2TV adapter to the TV. The adapter supports "Miracast" which wirelessly "mirrors" a laptop or smartphone's display on a TV.

I enabled the "Wireless Display" option on my Moto X Android phone and connected it to the Push2TV. Everything that I saw on the phone now showed up on the TV. It uses a standard called "Wi-Fi Direct" which allows the phone to manage multiple Wi-Fi connections at once. So it worked with the phone connected to the Phantom.

Unfortunately, even with the TV sitting inside the trailer under overcast skies, it was very hard to see the picture. The TV is an older LCD model and I didn't have the remote to adjust the brightness. Even with the brightness up, though, I don't think it would have worked well outside.

Even if it were to reduce the phone's Wi-Fi range (which I don't think it does), the repeater is only a few inches from the phone. So, having the connection to the Push2TV adapter at the same time as the P2V shouldn't cause any problems with the camera connection. But, I didn't really test it this time because of the problem seeing the TV.

I'm considering picking up an inexpensive LED TV which should be brighter and easier to transport than the LCD one I used. It'll be cool to let people see what I see in the DJI app as well as being able to playback videos and display stills between flights.

-- Roger

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4