Why no folding props on P4P.... or all Phantoms for that matter?

Reaction score
I know they don't take long to install/remove, but it's another step.

I have heard folding props are not as "snappy" as rigid props as far as control goes so it almost seems like the Mavic, touted as a bit of a sportster, should have rigid props and the P4P a more Pro photo rig should not need to be as "snappy" and thus the folding props. (this is only what I have read, no experience myself) I know the Mavic is all about size and folding... but still?...

Also have heard less damage to craft or props if crashed with folding rather than rigid props...

Any speculation as to why they don't go to folding props on the Phantoms?... It would sure make my day if they made some as an upgrade at some point.

Any speculation as to why they don't go to folding props on the Phantoms?... It would sure make my day if they made some as an upgrade at some point.

DJI has put out a product (Mavic Pro) that is mostly aimed at being a product that is portable. The Phantom line is not. The Phantom is not design to be portable so I'd see little point in slightly reducing the footprint of the props on such a device. DJI would then basically negating some of what the Mavic offers. The Phantom line is what is it and the Mavic line is what it is.

With that said, perhaps DJI will put folding props on the Phantom line at some point.

Folding props makes sense on a back-packable drone, one of whose advantages is "get it in the air immediately". On my Phantom, I couldn't care less. I don't think it provides an advantage and the lack of rigidity probably provides a disadvantage. If it was a big deal, surely someone would be providing an aftermarket folding propellor along with all the other little doo-dads that the aftermarket makes for these things.

I too have noticed, from a 'resilience test' video of the Mavic, that the folding props potentially offer more resistance to breakage than normal ones, when hitting an object. It's not about saving the price of a broken prop - it's about the quad being able to rebound off a wall with the props in tact, so it doesn't fall to the ground. seems a definite improvement over rigid props from what I can tell.

Not to mention a much heavier bird and each blade has two critical points of failure. One rivet comes out and it could kill someone!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I too have noticed, from a 'resilience test' video of the Mavic, that the folding props potentially offer more resistance to breakage than normal ones, when hitting an object. It's not about saving the price of a broken prop - it's about the quad being able to rebound off a wall with the props in tact, so it doesn't fall to the ground. seems a definite improvement over rigid props from what I can tell.
If it was a definite improvement for a Phantom, certainly DJI or some aftermarket company would be providing them. I wouldn't say it's a bad idea (because I don't know for sure), but I do think it's unnecessary on a Phantom and possibly dangerous.

I recall some users trying folding props on earlier Phantom models. They work OK but add some weight. They were not as efficient as the rigid props. They were notoriously hard to balance. They are not dangerous, in fact they would be less likely to cut you as they would fold.
Search Hobbyking for folding propellers and you will find some that would work on the older models with self tightening threads if you want to test them.
Edit: found this video

Last edited:
DJI has put out a product (Mavic Pro) that is mostly aimed at being a product that is portable. The Phantom line is not. The Phantom is not design to be portable so I'd see little point in slightly reducing the footprint of the props on such a device. DJI would then basically negating some of what the Mavic offers. The Phantom line is what is it and the Mavic line is what it is.

With that said, perhaps DJI will put folding props on the Phantom line at some point.

Yes, I totally get that aspect ... but still, you'd be able to stow your Phantom in the case without taking off the props. Much larger DJI birds that are not "back-pack-able" have folding props like the S900 and S1000. I agree that they probably want to keep the Mavic and Phantom line dissimilar for marketing reasons.

With all that said, still on my wish list :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20