Why must DJI use 2.4 and. 5ghz only?

Reaction score
Naive question, perhaps, but why can't they go to the FCC and ask for a set of frequencies for drone flight operations. We'd only need a small number and then we could crank up the power.

How's this work?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
The FCC controls the airwaves not the FAA.

The value of usable radio frequency is immense and it is very much allocated and used

5.8 and 2.4 are set aside world wide for Wi-Fi type usage at low power levels.
no user license needed for these channels

Part of it, too, I think, is that the FAA rules call for flying line-of-sight as it is. They don't want us to crank up the power to be able to fly miles away from the pilot.

Naive question, perhaps, but why can't they go to the FCC and ask for a set of frequencies for drone flight operations. We'd only need a small number and then we could crank up the power.
How's this work?
The FCC don't have lots of unallocated frequencies just sitting aroind waiting to be used.
There are thousands of different uses all clamouring for a limited radio frequency spectrum
For more info ....
Spectrum management - Wikipedia
Radio Spectrum Allocation
page1-6300px-United_States_Frequency_Allocations_Chart_2011_-_The_Radio_Spectrum.pdf.jpg

Reactions: Drestin Black
What if our specific need is higher power for lower range and better FPV video - there are just no other options?
There really aren't at this time that aren't allotted or license required spectrum. The future will be cellular I'm 99 44/100% sure, since it can piggyback on existing infrastructure.

Part of it, too, I think, is that the FAA rules call for flying line-of-sight as it is. They don't want us to crank up the power to be able to fly miles away from the pilot.

Actually I'm less interested in unobstructed straight line range increase, 3-4 miles is plenty. I'd like more power to handle trees/foliage and buildings

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers