Why isn't the FPV app with the goggles popular?

I'd like some clarification on this set-up for I am still new to all of this... All I have to do is purchase this app with the goggle add on. Buy a set of VR box goggles (or something similar) and I am fully operational?

The Go app doesn't support a goggle mode. You'd want to get FPV Camera, or use Litchi if your on android. I believe you can scroll through some menu items with the controller wheel and buttons, but for me personally, I don't need to mess with on screen options much once I'm up in the air. Especially using goggles. I like to just enjoy the flight.

Are there specific screen options you want to be using while in the air?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
I guess you could choose settings in GO then close and open FPV Cam?

Argh.... Just looked at their website doesn't look like it has a accelerometer so I have a nice picture but not a really great video because of the lack of the ability to move the camera with my head when I look looks like I will have to get really good with my hands or use my iPhone and a VR box lol

I think your right. Just looked at it online and it appears to be a single screen monitor/goggle system. It is cool having your goggles tilt by looking down, but your still going to have an awesome experience. Using the scroll wheel to tilt is easy enough

Reactions: Brent10
I'd like some clarification on this set-up for I am still new to all of this... All I have to do is purchase this app with the goggle add on. Buy a set of VR box goggles (or something similar) and I am fully operational?

Yep! The goggles, app, and iPhone or android and your ready to rock.

Maybe I'll try and make a video of my setup of that'll help.

I guess you could choose settings in GO then close and open FPV Cam?

Yes that's what I do. I use Go as my primary app to get settings where I want them. I use Go most often. Then when I want to use goggles I ensure everything else is closed out and use FPV Camera. The app is more customizable with OSD options than I expected. I was pleasantly surprised.

Here is a screen shot to give you a general idea of what mine looks like currently.

7907be778bfe4edaef3aac71d76752ff.jpg

I would love to see the steps to use the FPV Camera app since I'm somewhat confused too (and new to drones). So, I start buy using the GO app to calibrate and takeoff? Then close that app and open FPV Camera?

I would love to see the steps to use the FPV Camera app since I'm somewhat confused too (and new to drones). So, I start buy using the GO app to calibrate and takeoff? Then close that app and open FPV Camera?

I wouldn't change apps during flight. The FPV Camera app is a flight app all in itself. I was just explaining that if i wanted to change settings, like battery warning settings, RTH features, etc, I'd do all that in the Go app. But when I'm ready for a goggle flight, I use nothing but the FPV Camera app. As for calibration, you don't need to do that every flight.

I will do my best to make a video tonight showing my setup and how I use it. I'm not an expert myself, but have learned enough to at least share what's working for me. Hopefully that will help!

Reactions: JinForTheWin
I wouldn't change apps during flight. The FPV Camera app is a flight app all in itself. I was just explaining that if i wanted to change settings, like battery warning settings, RTH features, etc, I'd do all that in the Go app. But when I'm ready for a goggle flight, I use nothing but the FPV Camera app. As for calibration, you don't need to do that every flight.

I will do my best to make a video tonight showing my setup and how I use it. I'm not an expert myself, but have learned enough to at least share what's working for me. Hopefully that will help!

Awesome - can't wait for your video!!

This is cool in theory. If you have someone to help watch or even fly for you its an interesting perspective. Personally, I didn't like it because the resolution was so low. I have a P3P and iPhone 6s Plus. I figured the bigger 1080p screen of the plus iPhone would help but you have to split that and its not two 720p screen side by side. Its also very scary because you feel like you could hit something the whole time. You can't look up and see the Phantom and that is nerve wracking. The Phantom can only see forward, it can't see behind, below, beside, above, etc.

That would be really helpful and much appreciated lol I'm still under the impression that everything has to hook up thru a hdmi cable lol. I also keep seeing these Devine VR goggles in my faceBook feed advertisement for 50 bucks anyone using them? Wife is going to kill me when finds out how much I have tied up in this lol

So I am looking at these googles on Amazon. I don't want the 3D ones, correct? Or does it matter?

This is cool in theory. If you have someone to help watch or even fly for you its an interesting perspective. Personally, I didn't like it because the resolution was so low. I have a P3P and iPhone 6s Plus. I figured the bigger 1080p screen of the plus iPhone would help but you have to split that and its not two 720p screen side by side. Its also very scary because you feel like you could hit something the whole time. You can't look up and see the Phantom and that is nerve wracking. The Phantom can only see forward, it can't see behind, below, beside, above, etc.

It's all subjective that's true. I love the goggle option, although I don't use it for every flight. The resolution on mine is great. I don't need 4K resolution through goggles. As long as my actual footage is good, using a tablet and/or goggles is just for reference.
As for being scary, it's only scary until you get a feel for it, like anything else.

So I am looking at these googles on Amazon. I don't want the 3D ones, correct? Or does it matter?

They probably will say 3D. I think that's in reference to the split screen effect. Some of the VR 3D apps and cardboard apps are awesome. Try those out too.

I use HooToo, but I think the VR Box is the exact same thing and cheaper.

I use litchi with vr goggles and it works great when I can get litchi to connect with dji server. I love getting close with vr view. it is like a fighter plane.

I use litchi with vr goggles and it works great when I can get litchi to connect with dji server. I love getting close with vr view. it is like a fighter plane.

I assume your using android?
I really wanted to use Litchi for this as well. But they don't support on iOS. That's what lead me to try FPV Camera

What I like about this app is that it's very stable and the developers support it by constantly making improvements.

For me, as long as I'm flying in a high enough altitude I don't ever worry about crashing but always check your surroundings

I've been flying now for 10 months and have used several different apps, FPV Camera is my app of choice,I use an Ipad Air 2 for missions and Iphone 6 for FPV Goggles. It is simple to use and they were very responsive during beta testing.

Not sure if this is possible. Would be very cool if you could. But does FPV Camera let you fly in the direction your head is looking? Like if you turned your head left and moved the stick forward the phantom would yaw left and alter course in that direction?

If not they should really consider it. Imagine you still control forwards / backwards & Up / Dn but the YAW and panning up and down is controlled by your head.

I am very interested and have read all of this thread three times.....so I am still confused ...like maybe a few here.

So you can use this app with out needing the DJI Go app to fly....just pick one and stay with it through the flight...?
Will all flight data still be recorded in the same format as DJI Go

You do not need the goggles to take advantage of this app and all it offers.......?

...and you can use this with any FPV goggle....?

..I am only flying with iPad mini 2 and NO phone capability...I am a droid guy but will not use with with my P3P

This confused me a bit....I am not a computer geek at all...a bit old but learning...took me three days to get the files into healthy drones :eek::oops:

You can delete, import and export flights logs to CSV file for third-party application (such as DashWare) for further manipulation.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robvalduga