why am I getting Class E airspace warning

Reaction score
I have not taken off yet, but I am getting 2 warnings.One 1 is a class E airspace warning and the other is a warning about a prison telling me I am NFZ limited. Well the prison is over 1/2 mile away and if this is class E airspace on the ground isn't that good? If it wasn't class E then I would be in NFZ, right? Or is DJI just getting overly paranoid? I can fly, but why the warning, especially about class E?

You can fly in class G freely. If you are in class E from the ground up, means you are near am airport without a control tower. As for the prison, if you are caught flying within it's territory, you will have the privilage to also look it from within it's walls. DJI is just warning you not to fly in that area.

I have not taken off yet, but I am getting 2 warnings.One 1 is a class E airspace warning and the other is a warning about a prison telling me I am NFZ limited. Well the prison is over 1/2 mile away and if this is class E airspace on the ground isn't that good? If it wasn't class E then I would be in NFZ, right? Or is DJI just getting overly paranoid? I can fly, but why the warning, especially about class E?
Drones have been widely used to drop contraband behind prison walls.

Are you sure there isn’t a small airport near you with class E surface airspace. There is a federal prison 40 miles south of me and the class E airspace directly over it starts at 700’ AGL
IMG_0311.jpg

Reactions: Ansia
When flying my p4 at my house I get the "Your are within 5 miles of a airport". Doesn't say what class. I went and talked to them at the airport about flying my drone. It is a small airport. No tower. I assume a class E. I talked to one of the guys about the five mile rule. I live just inside it. My question is do I need to call them everytime I want to fly? I also live within 5 miles of a National Guard heli pad. Do I have to contact them everytime I fly? The altitude is no problem. I have never gotten over 300 feet. Can't really see why I would need to go higher. What do you other hobbyist do if you are in the five mile radius of airports?

When flying my p4 at my house I get the "Your are within 5 miles of a airport". Doesn't say what class. I went and talked to them at the airport about flying my drone. It is a small airport. No tower. I assume a class E. I talked to one of the guys about the five mile rule. I live just inside it. My question is do I need to call them everytime I want to fly? I also live within 5 miles of a National Guard heli pad. Do I have to contact them everytime I fly? The altitude is no problem. I have never gotten over 300 feet. Can't really see why I would need to go higher. What do you other hobbyist do if you are in the five mile radius of airports?
For part 336 you are required to notify them. As part of 107, you are not.

One more thing. I have a p3 standard and a p4. Here at my house the p4 doesn't give me the five mile airport warning but the p4 does. Also I have a spark and I think it gives me the warning. Just wondering.

One more thing. I have a p3 standard and a p4. Here at my house the p4 doesn't give me the five mile airport warning but the p4 does. Also I have a spark and I think it gives me the warning. Just wondering.
Download Airmap. It will show you a map and tell you if you are.

Reactions: HABU1AZ
OK, thanks, I think I have it figured out. Where I am flying is just outside a dashed magenta line of the airport and maybe 1/2 mile from the prison. It is a park field designated for sUAS flying. I have no issue with warnings, but the message indicated that I was IN the class E airspace. The problem I am having is identifying my exact location relative to this dashed line. The sectional does not show ground detail and the Airmap does not show the dashed line. Is there another map I can find both of these?
I also have no problem with DJI telling me where I can fly and where I cannot, BUT if they do not do it accurately, it is going to create a problem and people will ignore the WOLF cry.

In the “What’s your mission?” section at the bottom of the Airmap window, if you switch to “FAA 107” you will see the airspace indicated vs. the five-mile radius circle. I know this works for Class B, C and D; don’t know of any Class E airports to check off the top of my head to see if it shows Class E. Note that most non-towered airports are Class G, not Class E. Class G is the airspace that’s unrestricted for drone use below 400’ AGL.

So with the 107 you don't have to contact the airport no matter where your flying. I still don't understand all this stuff.

With 107, no need to contact Class G airports - but good practice to do so and common sense dictates not flying close to such an airport. Class B, C, and D airports you not only need to contact, but get approval from FAA if under their airspace. Class E is a strange area - the FAA study guide for Part 107 states that in most instances you will not need approval to fly in Class E, but it’s been a hard area for me to understand. The most common examples are Class E surface extensions hanging off the side of Class D airspace, and Class D airports that go to Class E when the tower is closed.

For part 336 you are required to notify them. As part of 107, you are not.

IMG_1546797830.726166.jpg
since hobbyists are not required to understand airspace, their only requirement to follow if they want to operate within 5 miles of airport is to notify ATC. In essence every pilot, whether sUAS or manned aircraft has to notify ATC in one way or another before entering class B, C, D, or E airspace.
In fact class B & C surface airspace generally extends beyond the 5 mile radius of which hobbyists by rule are allowed to fly in as long as they are outside the 5 mile radius, I don’t recommend doing so as you will get busted.

It always helps if you post a chunk of Sectional so we can see the area.

Reactions: BigAl07
OK, thanks, I think I have it figured out. Where I am flying is just outside a dashed magenta line of the airport and maybe 1/2 mile from the prison. It is a park field designated for sUAS flying. I have no issue with warnings, but the message indicated that I was IN the class E airspace. The problem I am having is identifying my exact location relative to this dashed line. The sectional does not show ground detail and the Airmap does not show the dashed line. Is there another map I can find both of these?
I also have no problem with DJI telling me where I can fly and where I cannot, BUT if they do not do it accurately, it is going to create a problem and people will ignore the WOLF cry.
Have you heard of Chartbundle? It will overlay a Sectional on Google Earth and you'll see exactly where you are on the Sectional.

You'll need this file www.chartbundle.com

Attachments

• CHARTBUNDLE KML INSTALLATION.pdf
    151.8 KB · Views: 579
Reactions: ScottLB

IMG_0312.jpg
the only dashed magenta line signifying class E surface airspace close to Cary is the is the extension to lass C airspace for Raleigh-Durham International.

If you want to see where you are at with reference to a sectional map then download this app ‎FltPlan Go for iPhone go to maps on left then layers up on top and click on sectionals. You should see an aircraft pinpointing you location on the sectional.
View attachment 107093

The problem with airmap is they do not show the class e extensions. We are flying at Dorthea Dix park in Raleigh which is Under the 1700" class e BUT on the edge of the SE extension about where the inverted V 716 is. Where I live is due south of RDU above the word CARY. I have no problem there, but I haven't check recently.

I guess it is a good thing DJI is taking business away from Airmap, given their attitude and direction.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31