Who's been flying with new Firmware and Go App

Got 4 batteries flown this evening. Results:

VPS - Fixed
Horizon - Fixed

Those were the only 2 problems I had with 1.2.6 update. Solid update for sure. Hovered at 1.5ft and she just sat there! Flew her out a couple hundred yards and back at that height...... solid as a rock! Stability is back, baby! I used to leave the VPS on before 1.2.6, just to have it when I was flying low or hovering. It's been off since last upgrade. I have no qualms at all to leave it on again. So far so good.............. and I recommend it for those on the fence. I can see and feel how stable it is again, just like old times!

VPS - Fixed
Horizon - Fixed

Those were the only 2 problems I had with 1.2.6 update. Solid update for sure. Hovered at 1.5ft and she just sat there! Flew her out a couple hundred yards and back at that height...... solid as a rock! Stability is back, baby! I used to leave the VPS on before 1.2.6, just to have it when I was flying low or hovering. It's been off since last upgrade. I have no qualms at all to leave it on again. So far so good.............. and I recommend it for those on the fence. I can see and feel how stable it is again, just like old times!
Horizon fixed is music to my ears. I havent tried the new FW yet, but now I am feeling very anxious to do so. Thanks snerd.

Horizon fixed is music to my ears. I havent tried the new FW yet, but now I am feeling very anxious to do so. Thanks snerd.
Sure! I did an in-air gimbal calibration, just to see if it was any different than the one I did at home. Same. It's so nice seeing the horizon level again!

Reactions: Oso

VPS - Fixed
Horizon - Fixed

Thanks snerd.. You are a credible member we can all trust, and many others as well.

Problem is, how do you know which batt has been updated? I have three and don't remember which one I used [emoji20]

Ones that need it will auto update. Those that have been updated will ignore the .bin file. It's foolproof (trust me - I'm the fool here!) and I got em all updated!

Sent from my PT beating heart

Anyone who has actually flown with the new firmware and Go App for IOS got anything good or bad to report. More bad really as im trying to decide if to update or not. I know a few have had problems with TX and battery updates ect ect but what about bugs for flying.

No problems for me. Flew and used up my 3 batteries with no problems at all.Flew it in the hot noon sun in sunny Singapore and even after everything, my iphone didn't feel extremely hot. Using GL300B TX and Model W323 Drone

Oh! I forgot................. it was 103 degrees today. I always fly from under a shade tree when possible. But my iPad Air 2 never blinked. No problem at all. It did not run any hotter than it ever has. My iPhone 6+ once again started going darker and darker, as it has before when using it out in temps over 102 or so.

No problems for me. Flew and used up my 3 batteries with no problems at all.Flew it in the hot noon sun in sunny Singapore and even after everything, my iphone didn't feel extremely hot. Using GL300B TX and Model W323 Drone
I absolutely love Singapore. Are you allowed to fly around Marina Bay?

No problems with the firmware or DJI GO app. Everything updated without a hitch and worked perfectly. HOWEVER...

The was a issue with my piloting. While testing the new firmware I clipped a tree branch at 25 feet high! Phantom tumbled down - violently smacking and spinning through more trees and limbs - finally "landing" upside down in the forest! Uuuuuugggg!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

My luck is something I don't deserve today. Zero damage. Nothing. Gimbal, Gimbal mount and camera perfectly fine. Didn't detach from the body. Didn't even loose a dampener. Nothing bent or cracked. Battery didn't pop out. Not even a broken prop. It had rained earlier so the bird was wet and splattered with dirt, debris and green chlorophyll. Wiped it clean. Blew out the gimbal motors. Waited 25 minutes and did a cold IMU calibration. Calibrated the compass. Calibrated the gimbal and tested. Everything works fine. It's like it never happened.

I'm absolutely speechless... but with ten and a half tons of gratitude.;)

Last edited:
Y
No problems with the firmware or DJI GO app. Everything updated without a hitch and worked perfectly. HOWEVER...

The was a issue with my piloting. While testing the new firmware I clipped a tree branch at 25 feet high! Phantom tumbled down - violently smacking and spinning through more trees and limbs - finally "landing" upside down in the forest! Uuuuuugggg!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

My luck is something I don't deserve today. Zero damage. Nothing. Gimbal, Gimbal mount and camera perfectly fine. Didn't detach from the body. Didn't even loose a dampener. Nothing bent or cracked. Battery didn't pop out. Not even a broken prop. It had rained earlier so the bird was wet and splattered with dirt, debris and green chlorophyll. Wiped it clean. Blew out the gimbal motors. Waited 25 minutes and did a cold IMU calibration. Calibrated the compass. Calibrated the gimbal and tested. Everything works fine. It's like it never happened.

I'm absolutely speechless... but with ten and a half tons of gratitude.;)
You're lucky! I crashed my bird on the 2nd day from waist height! And it was hovering perfectly fine until I decided to make it ascend with 100% throttle, except that I somehow fumbled and descended with 100% throttle.

Needless to say, my heart sank when it hit the grass and flipped. Gimbal broke and had to replace the whole thing for another 540 USD.

This thread just keeps going and going with nothing but good reports for the new firmware and app, i'm very pleasantly amazed. :)

Reactions: keith slagle
This thread just keeps going and going with nothing but good reports for the new firmware and app, i'm very pleasantly amazed. :)

+1.

Can the new firmware be ran with the old pilot app. I use a note 4 and since there is no go app for it yet I don't want to update firmware and loose my app

I watched, and reports were good, so I did the whole update on my P3P. All updates went smooth, but I had a hard time figuring out when the Phantom update was over? I left if for an hour, but i was probably finished much sooner. I recommend they change the light colors when the update is over. The camera light did go to solid green. The programmers appear to use "Morse Code" in the beep patterns to give them a running status. Dah-dit-dit is a long-short-short or a D, possible for "Done" Other sound patterns are other letters like dit-Dah-dit-dit is the letter L. Use a USB drive to update the Remote, worked flawlessly.

The P3P flies much better than after the last update. I quit flying after the last update because my P3P was very erratic near the ground. Changed altitudes on its on and I felt I was barely in control. Recalibration did little to improve the stability. On this update I got no requests for IMU or Compass updates and so I flew it first. Everything rock solid again. The higher altitude holds were as good as any I have ever experienced. The screen looks like it is frozen, but things on the ground are still moving. It appears so stable, a long exposure night shot would turn out great. Wind was about 13 mph.

Ipad 2 Air does get quite hot, but I'll check my settings. Auto Return to Home and land worked very good. VPS seems more stable and useful. More flights are planned. But my recommendation is do the firmware update and check it out yourself.

If you want to know the wind speed at the altitude you are flying, just fly down-wind at full forward stick. Move the yaw slightly to change your heading, (Left stick, left and right only) to get the maximum displayed groundspeed on the App screen. Then stop, let it stabilize in hover, turn it 180 degrees and go full forward into the wind. Yesterday I got 46 mph going downwind, and only 20 mph going directly back into the wind. A 26 mph difference means you have 13 mph help going down wind and 13 mph headwind going upwind. This won't work in a gusting or variable wind situation.

As a pilot, we use GPS speeds in the same way to get the true groundspeed of the airplane at any altitude. The airspeed indicators on the plane's panel may be off from one plane to another by 5 to 8 knots, so various modifications, like a propeller change may improve your climb performance, but cut down your cruising speed. Comparing one plane to another of the exact same model of the plane, one may be 8 to 10 knots faster because of various factors. On the plane I own now the wing uses laminar airflow, and giving the plane, but especially the wings, a smooth wax job, can increase cruising speed 4 to 6 knots. You use the same test flight to get your true airspeed before and after at the same altitude, engine settings and air temperature.

For your Phantom, record your maximum speed directly into the wind and directly downwind, add them together and divide by 2. So on my flight 46 + 20 is 66 divided by 2 is 33 mph. My Phantom's max speed at this altitude above sea level (1,500 feet MSL), air temperature and relative humidity is 33 mph. This will vary based on props, battery charge, weight, temperature, altitude above sea level and relative humidity of the air. I doubt waxing your Phantom will help much.

I finish by thanking DJI for the update. I look forward to some of the new software features promised like Follow Me, Waypoint Autopilot and Point of Interest. I would also like a Pan Photo Feature where you specify how many pictures you want and when you press the shutter button, the Phantom takes a picture, rotates and takes another, rotates again and takes another until all the specified photos have been taken. For public service a customizable Search Mode where you set four corners on the map and the Phantom flies the square in a pattern to photo all the area. Ideal for looking for a lost person, criminal, Phantom Fly-Away or pet in the search area. You would review the search video or stills on a big screen computer to spot the missing person. I have some other "feature ideas" for their software user interface. Return to Home altitude should be always displayed on the main flying screen, and quickly adjustable once RTH is initiated to avoid flying into obstacles that were not taken into consideration.

DJI should start a thread called "New Feature Suggestion Box to gather future software ideas from all users.

Updated the P3, RC, 4 batteries, and the DJI GO app. Everything went pretty good with just a few minor glitches in updates. I flew it at night 2,000 feet out to see over Oceanside Pier in Southern California. Flew 3 batteries. Everything went perfect with zero glitches in flight and on the app using an Ipad Air 2. Very stable with 17+ sats locked. The horizon was by far the best I've ever had it. Only very slightly off but not enough for me to worry about. The horizon is easy to notice when flying over water. Overall, I'm very happy.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl