Who's been flying with new Firmware and Go App

Updated the P3, RC, 4 batteries, and the DJI GO app. Everything went pretty good with just a few minor glitches in updates. I flew it at night 2,000 feet out to see over Oceanside Pier in Southern California. Flew 3 batteries. Everything went perfect with zero glitches in flight and on the app using an Ipad Air 2. Very stable with 17+ sats locked. The horizon was by far the best I've ever had it. Only very slightly off but not enough for me to worry about. The horizon is easy to notice when flying over water. Overall, I'm very happy.
Show us some stills if you have them. I love the night shots from the Phantom. DJI took an extra long time to release this firmware, especially given the frustrations from the prior update, but it seems to me they did a lot of testing and fixing before they sent us another bad release. Hopefully they will improve their software QC and testing to avoid introducing problems in the future. Surely they have 20 to 50 employees who can beta a firmware update and fix the bugs.

Last edited:
Show us some stills if you have them. I love the night shots from the Phantom. DJI took an extra long time to release this firmware, especially given the frustrations from the prior update, but it seems to me they did a lot of testing and fixing before they sent us another bad release. Hopefully they will improve their software QC and testing to avoid introducing problems in the future. Surely they have 20 to 50 employees who can beta a firmware update and fix the bugs.

Stan, I completely blew my night shots. They are some of the worst I've done. This night and pier was really tricky. The wind didn't seem to help the long exposure either. The lights were so bright at the pier that I realized that I should have taken the night pics further away from the pier. I was on the beach and the pier was about 1,600' out so I was about 2,000 feet from where I was when I shut off the LED's to get some pix but they came out horrible. Practice and learning still. Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread but it is showing that I had success with my updates. I shot these RAW but sized them down a lot to pull up quicker.
Pier_sunset.JPG Pier_Night.JPG

Reactions: jpasqua and ctp
Is an IMU calibration recommended after upgrading to the new firmware?

I know many will say yes and usually I do. This time I did not. I checked IMU and it showed good so I did not worry about it. When I have issues with the IMU, it pops up and tells me, so I thought if there was an issue it would have told me.

Is an IMU calibration recommended after upgrading to the new firmware?
The first time I updated I though I broke my bird... then I calibrated the IMU... all was happy afterwords. I will do it every time I update the P3. I haven't had any issues so I will continue...

Just now finished installing 1.3.2 and the new GO app.

The P3A went smoothly. It took 14 minutes.

The RC (version A) also went smoothly. I used a card reader in the SD slot of the RC. The install took 2 minutes, during which the light was blue and the RC beeped at a varying cadence until completed.

I have three batteries and installed the new FW on all. 2 of the 3 seemed to go through the update process with the two lights, but 1 of the 3 seemed to do nothing. That was the one that originally came with the P3A.

I connected no issues, checked my settings and they were all still as I left them in app v.1.1.2.

Time to go out and test it in the air. I will be specifically looking to see if the horizon is corrected. Mine has been slanted since new, no matter what calibrations I do. So far after the update today I have not yet done an IMU calibration. I want to see the horizon first. If it is still slanted, I will let it cool down, do the IMU calibration, and check it again.

Updates to follow.

EDIT: Here is the followup post.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe and snerd
1.3.20 has been great for me. Longest flight was over 32,000 feet mileage with a maximum distance around 2 miles bone stock before video started failing. Update was the longest so far at 20 minutes on my stopwatch.

A followup to my earlier post in this thread.

I flew in a nearby park with two batteries. The P3A flew very well. I saw no issues with the flights. No lag, great responsiveness, no overheating of my Air 2 (85F / 29C local temp). Everything was smooth as butter with the new 1.3.2 / GO app. Nice!

I enabled the VPS which has been off since the instability issues introduced with 1.2.7. Wow, I had forgotten just how amazingly the VPS system works. Solid as a rock at low altitude. No drifting, no losing of altitude, no drifting down to a landing on it's own. VPS now works perfectly. Exactly as it did with 1.1.9. For this, I am super happy.

Bad news about the tilted horizon however. No help for me. It still has the bad tilt, the angle of which varies as I yaw. Very frustrating to say the least. One good thing is that in the new app, DJI has finally made the gimbal roll adjustment a sticky setting so you don't need to enter the same value every time. Not much of a help for me however since the required adjustment changes during flight. It's not just a constant value.

I attached a photo with an example of the tilt. The photo was taken at about 50 meters in altitude.

So, now I will let the P3A cool and do the IMU calibration that I held off on doing earlier. Of course, then do a gimbal calibration and go out to check the horizon again to see if the gimbal calibration worked. I'll also do the gimbal calibration mid air if I need to. Honestly, I'm still expecting to see it tilted and still expecting that it will never be level.

Attachments

• DJI_0210a - Copy.jpg
    DJI_0210a - Copy.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 404
Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1438916422.967589.jpg

Only problem I've had so far with the new iOS app DJI GO, is that the replay of log entries is buggy. See screenshot from last flight where apparently I flew to North Africa from Texas. Zoom in and you'll see the parallel course lines. Also, during replay, the icon representing the P3 no longer moves along the flight path, but stays at launch location, and swivels with yaw.

*EDIT* Works fine on my iPhone 6+, but not on my iPad Air which is running iOS 9 beta. It might be an issue with the iOS 9 beta.

Last edited:
Bummer on the horizon. Hopefully an IMU cal will fix you up. Fingers crossed! I have a few shots from today to show my level horizon, but was just too hot and tired to transfer them to the desktop to edit them. I'll try to get them up tomorrow.

A followup to my earlier post in this thread.

I flew in a nearby park with two batteries. The P3A flew very well. I saw no issues with the flights. No lag, great responsiveness, no overheating of my Air 2 (85F / 29C local temp). Everything was smooth as butter with the new 1.3.2 / GO app. Nice!

I enabled the VPS which has been off since the instability issues introduced with 1.2.7. Wow, I had forgotten just how amazingly the VPS system works. Solid as a rock at low altitude. No drifting, no losing of altitude, no drifting down to a landing on it's own. VPS now works perfectly. Exactly as it did with 1.1.9. For this, I am super happy.

Bad news about the tilted horizon however. No help for me. It still has the bad tilt, the angle of which varies as I yaw. Very frustrating to say the least. One good thing is that in the new app, DJI has finally made the gimbal roll adjustment a sticky setting so you don't need to enter the same value every time. Not much of a help for me however since the required adjustment changes during flight. It's not just a constant value.

I attached a photo with an example of the tilt. The photo was taken at about 50 meters in altitude.

So, now I will let the P3A cool and do the IMU calibration that I held off on doing earlier. Of course, then do a gimbal calibration and go out to check the horizon again to see if the gimbal calibration worked. I'll also do the gimbal calibration mid air if I need to. Honestly, I'm still expecting to see it tilted and still expecting that it will never be level.

Reactions: Oso
I bought mine 2 weeks ago on Amazon. Interestingly, I've manage to make at round 30 flights without ANY issue with the control or the app (iPhone 6, ipad air 2). Today I made my first flight since the recent update (controller, aircraft and app) and for the FIRST time, the app crashes in my iPad, and the iPad reboot!!!! With the aircraft in the air! Luckily, I could handle the stress of the situation, and just waited the reboot process of the iPad, and open the app again, with no problem. Also, the aircraft only reached 200 mtrs high, until completely loses signal.. Pretty weird. Tomorrow I'll fly again and check those issues.

Anyone notice a much smoother dynamic braking on 70% with the new firmware? Mine seems to transition into dynamic braking far smoother and quieter.
Now that you mention it, I perceived what seemed to be less abruptness when breaking.

--zigs

Stan, I completely blew my night shots. They are some of the worst I've done. This night and pier was really tricky. The wind didn't seem to help the long exposure either. The lights were so bright at the pier that I realized that I should have taken the night pics further away from the pier. I was on the beach and the pier was about 1,600' out so I was about 2,000 feet from where I was when I shut off the LED's to get some pix but they came out horrible. Practice and learning still. Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread but it is showing that I had success with my updates. I shot these RAW but sized them down a lot to pull up quicker.
View attachment 26683 View attachment 26684

Nice shots! I have really been wanting to shoot the Oceanside pier but have been afraid of the heavy winds. Took it out over La Jolla today - so many seagulls >.<

Got 4 batteries flown this evening. Results:

VPS - Fixed
Horizon - Fixed

Those were the only 2 problems I had with 1.2.6 update. Solid update for sure. Hovered at 1.5ft and she just sat there! Flew her out a couple hundred yards and back at that height...... solid as a rock! Stability is back, baby! I used to leave the VPS on before 1.2.6, just to have it when I was flying low or hovering. It's been off since last upgrade. I have no qualms at all to leave it on again. So far so good.............. and I recommend it for those on the fence. I can see and feel how stable it is again, just like old times!

Can you tell me how to turn VPS on or off please? My P3P has been updated but it's definitely not rock solid when hovering over some grass in a light breeze. It stays in place more ore less but it's still moving from side to side and up/down a little. Is VPS a setting in the app?

View attachment 26713
Only problem I've had so far with the new iOS app DJI GO, is that the replay of log entries is buggy. See screenshot from last flight where apparently I flew to North Africa from Texas. Zoom in and you'll see the parallel course lines. Also, during replay, the icon representing the P3 no longer moves along the flight path, but stays at launch location, and swivels with yaw.

*EDIT* Works fine on my iPhone 6+, but not on my iPad Air which is running iOS 9 beta. It might be an issue with the iOS 9 beta.

I'm seeing the same issues on the app with my iPad on iOS 9 beta 4 but fine on the iPhone btw

Can you tell me how to turn VPS on or off please? My P3P has been updated but it's definitely not rock solid when hovering over some grass in a light breeze. It stays in place more ore less but it's still moving from side to side and up/down a little. Is VPS a setting in the app?
Options (Top right icon), then top-left icon (drone), then Advanced Settings, then scroll down to bottom of next page.

Options (Top right icon), then top-left icon (drone), then Advanced Settings, then scroll down to bottom of next page.
How on earth did I miss that?! It was disabled haha! Thanks, time to try the indoor obstacle course...

Sure! I did an in-air gimbal calibration, just to see if it was any different than the one I did at home. Same. It's so nice seeing the horizon level again!
Hmm. My horizon was not leveled after update. Haven't done imu or gimbal cals yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair