Who's Airspace is it??

Reaction score
Hi All,

Spent 45min on the phone today between two different airports and did not get a conclusive answer so looking here for feedback. The important thing to note here is I'm flying under Part 107 so I must have permission not simply notify.

I live in SW Michigan, where I typically fly around the beaches and such. One of the main beaches is in a Class E to surface airspace with effective hours of 6 AM - 1130 PM local (aka any time I would be flying).

I first spoke with that airport (BEH/KBEH) to ask how I can ask permission. Their feedback was because they don't have a tower, they're always operational and the airspace is controlled by SBN Approach (class C international airport about 30mi away).

I then called their airport manager and the feedback was if I'm 5 miles from SBN, use AirMap digital notification and all is good. It may give me a follow-up number to call but still. I asked how I would use that for the airport I'll actually fly near (BEH) and he said talk to them.....

So back I go to BEH - their final feedback was the only way would be with an FAA Waiver....

Thoughts?

I planned to get a waiver eventually but I'm still on my temporary certificate so doubt I can get a waiver without my certificate number... and certificates can take 6-8 weeks for delivery.

Looking for a one-time approval to fly in this Class E to Surface airspace.

So many of us are feeling the same pain. I did a days worth of research before I put together my 107.41 airspace Authorization requests. For right now its what has to be done and hope that you get approved. I do not think not having your permanent certificate number is a determining factor. Lots of airspace threads to view

If you are Part 107 and wish to fly in controlled airspace the only way to get permission is through the FAA portal. The airport manager or ATC cannot LEGALLY authorize you to fly. You can apply via the portal with a "number pending" certificate.

Agree with what Teamfour said. All Part 107 flying within controlled airspace does require a waiver/authorization. You can submit a request while waiting for you permanent certificate, just enter 'pending'. AirMap notification would only work for hobby flying. When flying under my SGH Class E (sfc) authorization,cig have to contact Columbus Approach Control 50 miles away!

Reactions: N42742
Received call from FAA, my airspace authorizations were approved. I submitted my request on the 22nd of Feb.

Mine was submitted about the same time. Keeping my fingers crossed!

So I'm looking at the hover app and it says caution and shows no fly zone. The only thing is I am within 5 miles of a hospital helipad. It says when creating a flight that that helipad does not require digital notification. Can I fly or not? The app doesn't really say why it is caution no fly zone.

So I'm looking at the hover app and it says caution and shows no fly zone. The only thing is I am within 5 miles of a hospital helipad. It says when creating a flight that that helipad does not require digital notification. Can I fly or not? The app doesn't really say why it is caution no fly zone.

Are you attempting to fly as a Hobbyist (Part 101 operator) or as Civil/Commercial (Part 107 operator)?

This is NOT legal advice so take it with a grain of salt...

Best practice is to research and find out who manages the MediVac Helo and contact them. They may ask that you notify before/after your flying session or they may not.

While the above is how I fly around our local region (one location dispatches all the Helo in the area so it's one call for all) many people disregard helipads for the most part. That's up to you but not how I operate.

This is NOT legal advice so take it with a grain of salt...

Best practice is to research and find out who manages the MediVac Helo and contact them. They may ask that you notify before/after your flying session or they may not.

While the above is how I fly around our local region (one location dispatches all the Helo in the area so it's one call for all) many people disregard helipads for the most part. That's up to you but not how I operate.

Thanks for the advice. I just want to do the right thing so I will attempt to contact them.

Thanks for the advice. I just want to do the right thing so I will attempt to contact them.
Keep in mind the people who you need to talk to may be in another county/area like it is here. So ask around and see what they want/expect from you.

Good luck and SAFE flights :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.