Who Here Flys From a Boat?

Reaction score
I want to launch from a smaller aluminum boat on a very large river. Meaning my P4 will be initializing on a rocking boat.

Thoughts?

Experiences?

Techniques?

Thank You;)

Instagram post by @imrichpayne • Aug 26, 2016 at 9:41pm UTC

be careful.

Let me expand. Watch the wind. I hand caught, but was able to launch from deck. My compass values were solid. Though with a P4 you might have dual compass so that might not be a concern. Obviously we are allergic to water so watch sea spray and such. I hope you have good sea legs. Looking at the screen, not watching the waves, you must be steady on your feet.

Bottom line, not enjoyable. But doable. Obviously I was going after very specific shots, but it was nerve wracking - and risky.

Last edited:
Reactions: donk and Helihover
I have launched from a smaller aluminum boat on a very large river... meaning my P3S was initializing on a rocking boat...

\End of qualification rant!

Thoughts: I had the same trepidation you’re having now. Only you’re smarter because I did it without asking advice! My dad always says “use it or don’t”... so I decided to go for it.

My number one concern? The AC’s behaviour if signal should be lost or battery expired. I felt I had two choices: establish a RTH point that was on land, or trust that I would be able to manoeuvre under the AC should it try to return home, or land.

Techniques: I opted for the latter... to make sure I didn’t fly so long as to threaten low battery, and to trust that I’d be able to orient the boat close enough to a landing that I could at least hand catch it. I went out with the intention of establishing a land based RTH but changed my mind when I saw it was a calm day and the motor was starting well.

Which brings us to challenge #2... landing. I felt in this case that hand catching was the smartest of options. In my case, I had my wife with me and she did the catching. Without a second pair of hands I’d have to rethink the strategy and I suspect that unless it was a calm day on the water, I’d second guess the merits of the adventure altogether.

You have to consider holding and controlling the remote, while on an unstable platform where YOUR OWN balance is as precarious as flying, and catching a four bladed guillotine.

All that said, everything went well. It was a calm day. I have a hard carrying case, and oriented and took off from that. I stayed close and didn’t fly below 40% battery. I had a second person for hand catching so that was my plan.

I flew twice that day and got some excellent footage, which once I find I will post for you.

Nerves, yes.

Success, yes.

Recommend? Yes, because “use it or don’t!” And know and accept the risks, which is why you’re here.

And post if you do it! Let me know if you’d like any more info!

Edit: found ‘em. Here’s a teaser:
5729990711a369d3bdb36c2f31a857dd.jpg

Last edited:
We where fishing in northern ontario this spring and I took my phantom 4 along for the trip. Took off and landed by hand from the boat a bunch of times. Had no problems and got some pretty awesome video of us fishing and driving in the boat. It was a very weird sensation following the boat whike driving the drone by the screen only and trying to pan around the moving boat. Definitely want to try that in the middle of the lake.

I never flew lower than about 50% battery and always landed with lots left just incase.

Good luck

Thank you for all the reply’s. I’ve been asked to shoot some video for another you tuber who has a fishing channel. He wants a few aerial shots of his boat and fishing for his opener. I’ll probably go practice in my boat first. It is still probably months from happening, but when it does, I’ll post a link.

Speaking from experience just make sure others around him are aware of what is going on not everyone is a fan of drones. Mine was cast on and the ******* wrapped my props and the drone went in the drink. Needless to say it wasn't the first time someone tried to take it down on the water.

I'm heading back up north this morning for a week of smallmouth fishing. Taking the drone and hoping for a calm morning to get some good shots of my bass boat running, and us catching some tanks. If I get any good shots I'll have to figure out how to upload them.

I am going to fish in the ocean and hope to spot fish and drive the boat to them. I assume I will have to hand retrieve.
Any advice on the cheapest drone with a long fly time?

NC brew

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic