Who do I call? Text? Email?

Reaction score
Hello,

New to this ‘doing it all legally’ stuff. I downloaded the b4ufly and a couple others. The b4ufly app says I am in restricted airspace (it’s a city park in Savannah, GA), but it doesn’t tell me where. Another app says safe to fly. Another app shows a heliport and actually gives a phone # so I can report my recreational flying, but the number is a dud. Another shows an airport and a heliport but doesn’t give me info on who to call. I contacted the FAA via email about 30 min.’s ago to ask for guidance but not sure when/if they will respond. Can you more experienced folks please give me some pointers on who and how to notify proper authorities before flying recreationally?

Thanks!

PS - I am FAA registered for rec.

if it's recreational just call every airport in the area (Lookup Airport | SkyVector) and leave a message if you can. If you can't, you have tried.

If there are local ordinances, you need to work that out with your city. FAA isn't going to hold your hand I'm afraid, although the guy that sent my Airspace Authorization gave me his personal number and answered right away!

Reactions: Sky Phantom
if it's recreational just call every airport in the area (Lookup Airport | SkyVector) and leave a message if you can. If you can't, you have tried.

If there are local ordinances, you need to work that out with your city. FAA isn't going to hold your hand I'm afraid, although the guy that sent my Airspace Authorization gave me his personal number and answered right away!
Thanks. An FAA guy finally did get back with me and said all I need to do is leave a message with these authorities. But in this case it was a hospital heliport and the SAV airport is 10 mi. away. I verified the hospital’s heliport communications # on their website and it is indeed a dud. It was fun flying!

So, a f/u question. What do you all do to acquire the contact(s) #s of the proper authority of the airport or helipad that is within the bounds of requiring notification for rec flying - just google said authorities?

Forsyth Park in Savannah, GA. Long weekend trip.

Roughly 3/4 of Forsyth Park lies in the extreme N-NE edge of the 5 mile radius for Hunter Army Airfield. You're also within the 5 mile boundaries for the heliports at both Memorial and St. Joseph's/Candler hospitals in that area. That's according to AirMap, which for my experience seems to be the most reliable. When I center my cursor on Forsyth Park, AirMap also shows18 advisories regarding flying in that area.

I live in Savannah (at the moment) and have never had success in contacting the Heliports. I'm on the far E periphery of Memorial Hospital's 5 mile zone, but outside of the 5 miles for St. Joe's. I've not ever tried contacting Hunter, or SAV. I try to stay well outside their 5 miles.

The bigger issue which I've encountered is the Coast Guard SAR missions. They launch and recover out of Hunter AAF. I've been well away from Hunter's 5 mile boundary and have had a coast guard Dolphin helicopter suddenly scream over at 300' AGL, sometimes lower, when on training or active SAR.

Roughly 3/4 of Forsyth Park lies in the extreme N-NE edge of the 5 mile radius for Hunter Army Airfield. You're also within the 5 mile boundaries for the heliports at both Memorial and St. Joseph's/Candler hospitals in that area. That's according to AirMap, which for my experience seems to be the most reliable. When I center my cursor on Forsyth Park, AirMap also shows18 advisories regarding flying in that area.

I live in Savannah (at the moment) and have never had success in contacting the Heliports. I'm on the far E periphery of Memorial Hospital's 5 mile zone, but outside of the 5 miles for St. Joe's. I've not ever tried contacting Hunter, or SAV. I try to stay well outside their 5 miles.

The bigger issue which I've encountered is the Coast Guard SAR missions. They launch and recover out of Hunter AAF. I've been well away from Hunter's 5 mile boundary and have had a coast guard Dolphin helicopter suddenly scream over at 300' AGL, sometimes lower, when on training or active SAR.

I agree. They also often have numbers you can call for the various airports. B4UFly is ridiculous. It basically tells you everywhere is an airport. And Hover is nice, even though it leaves out the smaller airports and helipads.

In my experience, it only seems worth it to contact the bigger ones. So many people have issues when notifying small fields and helipads. Either they can't get through to anyone, the person answering doesn't know what they're talking about, or they simply don't care. I'm not saying you shouldn't try to contact the small airports, just that it often seems like a fruitless endeavor.

I agree. They also often have numbers you can call for the various airports. B4UFly is ridiculous. It basically tells you everywhere is an airport. And Hover is nice, even though it leaves out the smaller airports and helipads.

In my experience, it only seems worth it to contact the bigger ones. So many people have issues when notifying small fields and helipads. Either they can't get through to anyone, the person answering doesn't know what they're talking about, or they simply don't care. I'm not saying you shouldn't try to contact the small airports, just that it often seems like a fruitless endeavor.

Yep...but fruitless or not, it's mandated. And unless it's a commercial gig that's being flown, it's just easier to stay away from major airfields, whether commercial or military, IMHO. I agree it is a bit disconcerting that sometimes the person answering isn't aware of the requirement to call, or doesn't care. Hopefully, the LAANC roll out will smooth things out a bit.

Yep...but fruitless or not, it's mandated. And unless it's a commercial gig that's being flown, it's just easier to stay away from major airfields, whether commercial or military, IMHO. I agree it is a bit disconcerting that sometimes the person answering isn't aware of the requirement to call, or doesn't care. Hopefully, the LAANC roll out will smooth things out a bit.

I would argue the opposite. As long as you're staying low, it can be super easy and safe to fly close to bigger airfields. I talked to a guy at the local Port Authority (basically rules over the three big airports in the area), and he's the one who told me I was allowed to send in an email if I can't get ahold of the air traffic control towers. The number to call for the towers is only during normal business hours (when I work), so I just send a quick and easy email anytime I'm flying near one of those. It takes about 20 seconds, I'm following the rules, and staying out of planes' way. Win win.

Reactions: RW8888 and svjobeth
I hear you. Military bases seem a bit different in their perspective on things and in my experience, say 'No' simply because they can. I usually stay away from Hunter mainly because the SAR missions for the USCG fly out of there. Those crews are often working fast and low.

What's interesting is that on the far east periphery of the Hunter AAF bubble are two large boat yards. Often, the boats hauled onto the railways or blocked ashore have masts higher than my anticipated max flight level if I were to fly in that area - but with no warning lights required. Go figure...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.