Who actually calibrates their compass before every flight?

Your bird won't fly away if the compass is not calibrated, you'll always have control of the craft. However, it won't fly straight. Also if you hit return to home it won't take the shortest path back to you but rather more of a large arc.... so ya best have enough battery remaining.
You are, of course, quite correct and thank you for clarifying the issue.

This thread just reminded me that it's been almost 3 months I did last calibrate my P3. Maybe more.

My last calibration was probably close to a year ago. I always check the values before flying. Only had one issue when I first got the P3--launched from my driveway (like I always did with the P2). Must be more sensitive as it threw a compass error right after takeoff. Recalibrated over grass and always launch from same (plastic step stool as a launchpad) never another error.

I've only calibrated once so far, and it was a PITA - I had to leave my phone/controller behind so I would walk out to the middle of this field and do the dance several times, come back to the controller, and find that it hadn't registered properly. I finally got it to do so and have been hoping I don't need to do it again for a while. (And even that one might be screwed up since I didn't take my belt off either. At least I took my keys out of my pocket.)

I also did it in a field I don't live near, so I'd have to either drive out there again or find somewhere closer that I can reasonably assume is free of metal or pipe underneath.

Im quite new to Phantom and seem to be having problems with calibration.
I can fly in the same area as I did in the morning and then get a compass error message and have to recalibrate.

It fails saying that there is too much electro magnetic interference but im in the middle of nowhere.

So i move a few hundred metres away....same thing.

Then I wondered....could it be due to the spare tablet in my case that I launch the phantom from? The warning message only seemed to come on when I put the phantom on the case after calibration appeared successful....is it really that sensitive or is this pure coincidence?

yep if within a foot or 2

Reactions: Bluenoes
What evidence do you have to support this?

I suspect he is doing what I do!
having had 3 phantom 2's and so far 3 p3's I ONLY do compass when new to me or when traveling.

did one vision plus in march 15 in ohio july in fla , back in ohio in july and never touched again with never an issue

my current p3 was bought in dec 15 and I have had many flights from various locations nearby and only did compass once after I got it.

in other words he is suggesting once it is set it is set!
when you "reset" it from a KNOWN good setting, you introduce the "possibility" of a bad calibration and thus what he said.

I also did my p3 standard once in Jan when it arrived, also no issues since.

good luck and have fun flying!

PS look at sign up dates for folks and you will see those from P2 days tend to NOT do all the time , not all but most

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl