Compass error message solved - I think.....

Reaction score
I purchased a P4 Advanced+ in February, and all the time since it was brand new I have had the compass error message.
Calibration did not help, I tried different locations, but the error persisted.
I consider myself an experienced pilot (have flown a lot with the P2), but I could never trust my new P4A, it was too unreliable in flight.
I was about to return it to DJI, but in desperation I bought a degaussing device from Russia, the cfixer. I followed the instructions closely, and took the Phantom to a place with no power lines, no manmade structures, no concrete. I calibrated the compass, and took off.
I have been on this location before, and have always had the compass error message about every 30 seconds, then it will switch back to P-GPS for about 30 seconds, then the error comes again. It would not fly in a a straight line.
But this time, after degaussing and calibration, it behaved absolutely perfect! No compass error message and it responded to the controls just as it should, and I emptied two batteries without any error messages. Suddenly I feel I can trust my Phantom again, and flying has become more relaxed.
My guess is that the compass has been magnetized somewhere during transport or storage. I bought my Phantom from a large electronics warehouse, maybe they have stored it close to speakers or other stuff with strong magnets.
I don't know if degaussing will help everybody with the compass error message, but it seems to have fixed the problem on my P4.
(I have of course no connection with the company that makes the cfixer, I purchased it on ebay, and was as sceptical as everybody else).

Good stuff. I remember a thread a while back, maybe a month ago. Guy in Brazil was having the same issue, got himself a cfixer, and apparently solved his compass issue as well.

Yeah - good info.

Good stuff. I remember a thread a while back, maybe a month ago. Guy in Brazil was having the same issue, got himself a cfixer, and apparently solved his compass issue as well.
Yeah it seems the "cfixer" is the one that people often mention here when they talk about degaussing.

Last edited:
My guess is that the compass has been magnetized somewhere during transport or storage. I bought my Phantom from a large electronics warehouse, maybe they have stored it close to speakers or other stuff with strong magnets.

This is good information to have for the future. It may not have been you but, someone else here very recently posted a nearly identical problem involving a compass error that couldn't be resolved after doing all the usual things. I believe it was mentioned that a subwoofer was somehow involved. I provided them with a link to the CFixer thread and they replied that they ordered one. Thanks for sharing your success story as it could help others. Glad to hear your up and flying again.

Last edited:
It was common to hear this a few years ago.
In fact, one of DJI's early USA reps., Colin Guinn, did a YT video on how to degauss using a magnet. He called it 'resetting".

I just learned this from an individual on another thread who had the same problem with a compass error that calibration wouldn't correct...

I received the parcel with the Cfixer. He lived up to my expectations. After applying this instrument, the compass error has disappeared and does not bother me anymore. I'm happy.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl