Which Magic Power App to use???

Reaction score
Been trying to learn all I can about Magic Power before I try it and have downloaded these TWO apps (pictures)...
I have read MANY threads and watched several videos including the one I linked here on manually going in to change the Tx- Power dBi setting...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My only Mod so far is Alfa Antennas...
Can someone explain the difference(s) please and which one(s?) I should use on my P3S???
Is it also recommended to change the Channel if flying where there are MANY of WiFi-s???
MagicPower-5.jpg
27dBm-Updater.jpg

I'm assuming "FL" in your location is Florida? In the US, the transmitter is already maxed out at 27, so there is no need to use any of these programs. I post a link in a minute with proof.

I'm assuming "FL" in your location is Florida? In the US, the transmitter is already maxed out at 27, so there is no need to use any of these programs. I post a link in a minute with proof.
Yeah, that's not true (as far as there not being any use). Read the MagicPower thread. The software does boost the video signal from the aircraft.

Reactions: KCadby
Yeah, that's not true (as far as there not being any use). Read the MagicPower thread. The software does boost the video signal from the aircraft.

So, who's correct? The people that designed and manufactured the drone? Or a bunch of guys on the forums?

Yes Florida and thank you Matt for your quick response ;)
I first started flying my P3 in Beginner Mode but that didn't last long...
Next I snuck up on higher Altitudes and Distances but the "Max Setting allowed has always been 500 meters" so that has had me wondering about my Signal Strength???
I have posted in multiple threads about NOT getting Good Distance (WITH DISTANCE LIMIT UN-CHECKED) so again, I have doubts about my signal strength...

Adding here that I just installed a WiFi Analyzer App in my phone so I can SEE my Signal Strengths...
Wishing I would have done that before the Alfa Antenna Mod but maybe I'll connect the OEM Ant.-s up after I check Sig. Strength on the Alfas...
At this point I might even drive out west of town again where I can "drive away from my radio" while watching the Analyzer App. :)

Last edited:
Ah ha. I found it this time:

Just a smidge over 1/2 of a watt. That's 27dbm, my man.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    54.3 KB · Views: 773
Yes Florida and thank you Matt for your quick response ;)
I first started flying my P3 in Beginner Mode but that didn't last long...
Next I snuck up on higher Altitudes and Distances but the "Max Setting allowed" has always been 500 meters so that has had me wondering about my Signal Strength???
I have posted in multiple threads about NOT getting good Distance (WITH DISTANCE LIMIT UN-CHECKED) so again, I have doubts about my signal strength...

Do you live in a crowded neighborhood? Crowded neighborhood = lots and lots and lots of WiFi devices running, which will kill your range. Just today I went 2600 feet due east towards the lake (no houses on the water, LOL). Then I went due west, towards more houses and a busier area with lots of trees in my way, etc. and maxxed out at 900 feet before RTH kicked in.

The aircrafts output is 27dbm but the transmitter inside the USA is set at 20dbm from the factory. The 27dbm listed in the specs is with the antenna hence 20dbm transmitter plus 7dbi antenna =27dbm. I use the power magic mod along with the argtek antennas and can assure you if you use this mod you will see an increase in video distance.I'm using pm 5.3 on firmware 1.7.90. I use the stock settings in pm with the only change is to the region I set it to USA. There is no need to change anything else.its very simple to apply and if you decide it's not benefiting you it's easy to revert back to stock.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

The aircrafts output is 27dbm but the transmitter inside the USA is set at 20dbm from the factory. The 27dbm listed in the specs is with the antenna hence 20dbm transmitter plus 7dbi antenna =27dbm. I use the power magic mod along with the argtek antennas and can assure you if you use this mod you will see an increase in video distance.I'm using pm 5.3 on firmware 1.7.90. I use the stock settings in pm with the only change is to the region I set it to USA. There is no need to change anything else.its very simple to apply and if you decide it's not benefiting you it's easy to revert back to stock.

By pm I assume you meant to write mp.

All understoood Matt...
I have flown 3 different sites = Park 1-mile from home with nothing but Homes/Apartment all around the Park = about 1,000Ft with OEM 1,300+Ft with Alfa...
Second is this Park on the water (pictures) flying directly away from the "Many Homes" over open water = 1,600+Ft with OEM and 2,200+Ft with Alfa...
Third is 15 miles out west of Town (strictly to test distance) = NO Homes, WiFi or Power Lines in Site (1st picture). I never flew out there with OEM but made it to 3,533Ft there before RTH was initiated (I know it says 2,699Ft in the picture)... I believe I could make it to 4,000+Ft but wanted to test at Park-2 the same day and I only have one battery.. .
Alfa-Test-1.jpg
LakesideParkBeach.jpg

Thank You xxx!!!
I was planning on for SURE doing the PMagic but wanted to know which App and what setting(s) from someone that actually uses it :)

I will post what the Analyzer App. says before and after I do the PM Mod but I'll probably be lazy with my TIME and check it by walking away from my radio at the 1-mile-away park...lol... ;)

Last edited:

This says otherwise:

Phantom 3 Standard RF Exposure Info Microsoft Word - RDG150320002-00A.doc SZ DJI TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD

Cliff notes version.... It clearly says 27dbm into the antenna, which is 2dbm.

I really didn't think that that crappy little internal panel antenna could be 7dbm.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    237.4 KB · Views: 684
Please Matt...
I'm going to go by "what Fellow Flyer Experience has been with MPower App" AND "actual Signal Strength that the Analyzer shows"...
Not what any document says, because I have read many posts on many threads = some people can fly MUCH farther than others with they're P3S and I have always been "towards the bottom of the Distance list" and this IS taking into account that I believe my out-west-test is as good as I'm going to get for a no interference location around here...

This says otherwise:

Phantom 3 Standard RF Exposure Info Microsoft Word - RDG150320002-00A.doc SZ DJI TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD

Cliff notes version.... It clearly says 27dbm into the antenna, which is 2dbm.

I really didn't think that that crappy little internal panel antenna could be 7dbm.

It's really simple to try it for yourself and see if you get an improvement. Why you need to keep arguing over something you haven't even tried to use is beyond me. I was hesitant at first to try it but eventually did and have seen a significant increase in distance for the video link over what I was getting stock.like I said if you try it and don't see any difference in range you go back in and revert the software to stock. The whole process takes about 5 minutes

OK OK, you guys win. I guess the people that design and build the dang drone and the agency that approves the drone for use in the United States are all wrong.

Placebo_Effect.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic