Which drone is the best?

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new pilot and I want to buy a new DJI drone. My budget is around 740€. Should I buy phantom 3 advanced/professional or should I save money and buy the new mavic pro?
Thanks for all replies.

Mavic is an expensive FUN toy. P3A/P are cheaper but bigger compared to Mavic.

You should decide how do you want to tie both the ends of expense and fun.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

You need to know your priorities, and how much extra to pay for them, if you want video, and not concerned about portability then the P3P, but if you want to be big in outdoor pursuits and walking/climbing to remote opportunities, then maybe the Mavic.

Mavic is an expensive FUN toy. P3A/P are cheaper but bigger compared to Mavic.

You should decide how do you want to tie both the ends of expense and fun.

thx for reply.. I just want to fly it on big trips and holidays, so from your reply, I decided to buy mavic pro. Thanks a lot.

thx for reply.. I just want to fly it on big trips and holidays, so from your reply, I decided to buy mavic pro. Thanks a lot.

I'm sure you would be happy with your decision.

You made the right choice. Since you are wanting to use it for big trips you will appreciate the portability. Another advantage the Mavic has over the older Phantoms (everything before the Phantom 4 Pro) is the newer technology thats provided the Mavic with "up to 4.3 miles" of range. Even if you don't plan to fly that far out, the increased signal strength is always good.

Hi, I'm new pilot and I want to buy a new DJI drone. My budget is around 740€. Should I buy phantom 3 advanced/professional or should I save money and buy the new mavic pro?
Thanks for all replies.

if you are thinking of a Phantom 3 pro vs a Mavick, hands down go with the Phantom 3 pro. The P3 Pro is a more capable flyer in rougher wind conditions than is the Mavick do to its size. The camera quality on the P3 Pro is the same if not better than the Macick as well. And you will get one a lot less money. The pros of the Mavick as a purchase over the P3 pro is its much smaller size. The smaller form factor makes it easier to wrap up and transport without having to have a larger back pack for a Phantom. The Mavick also has the same if not better FPV range than the Phantom 3 as it uses slightly different technology for the video feed. The Mavick also has slightly longer flight time than the P3 pro. And lastly the Mavick has a mechanical focusing capability where you tap on the screen to get better focused on a specific object. The downsides of the Mavick are it's slightly slower than the P3 pro, it won't handle nearly as well at altitude / higher wind conditions do to its smaller form factor. You will need 3rd party products if you want to attack anything larger than a phone to the controller. And lastly you will be paying a steep premium in price on a Mavick do to the fact that it's a new current product. I have seen P3 Pros selling new for as low as $599 US.

To summarize, unless you need the extra portability and slightly longer flight times and range of the Mavick the P3 pro is the easy choice do to both its improved flight characteristics and capability over the Mavick and much lower cost. I still use the P3 Pro myself, have skipped the P4 since it doesn't give me anything over the P3 Pro, and the Mavick to me doesn't offer anything I need beyond its increased portability. What I may get for my next bird is a P4 Professional or whatever follows it up.

I would have to say the best drone is the one that doesn't fly away at free will.
How many drones are you aware of that are flying away?
It's easy to get the impression that it's a common thing, google and you'll find it mentioned all over the place.
But at least for modern DJI drones it's so rare to be almost a myth.
Since the first Phantom 3 almost two years ago, DJI drones have a flight data recorder built into the app.
Analysis of flight data shows exactly what the cause of "flyaway" reports is and it's almost always user error.
In the good old days before the P3, if you lost your Phantom 1 or 2 you could tell everyone that it just flew away and save face.
Not so nowdays. Here's an example of how the flight data shows what really happened: I finally lost my Phantom - not a "flyaway"
The flight data has also helped find lost Phantoms all over the world.

Here's a little more reading on the myth of "flyaways".: Fear of Flying 2016 - The Last Word on Drone Flyaways! - Drone Flyers

if you are thinking of a Phantom 3 pro vs a Mavick, hands down go with the Phantom 3 pro. The P3 Pro is a more capable flyer in rougher wind conditions than is the Mavick do to its size. The camera quality on the P3 Pro is the same if not better than the Macick as well. And you will get one a lot less money. The pros of the Mavick as a purchase over the P3 pro is its much smaller size. The smaller form factor makes it easier to wrap up and transport without having to have a larger back pack for a Phantom. The Mavick also has the same if not better FPV range than the Phantom 3 as it uses slightly different technology for the video feed. The Mavick also has slightly longer flight time than the P3 pro. And lastly the Mavick has a mechanical focusing capability where you tap on the screen to get better focused on a specific object. The downsides of the Mavick are it's slightly slower than the P3 pro, it won't handle nearly as well at altitude / higher wind conditions do to its smaller form factor. You will need 3rd party products if you want to attack anything larger than a phone to the controller. And lastly you will be paying a steep premium in price on a Mavick do to the fact that it's a new current product. I have seen P3 Pros selling new for as low as $599 US.

To summarize, unless you need the extra portability and slightly longer flight times and range of the Mavick the P3 pro is the easy choice do to both its improved flight characteristics and capability over the Mavick and much lower cost. I still use the P3 Pro myself, have skipped the P4 since it doesn't give me anything over the P3 Pro, and the Mavick to me doesn't offer anything I need beyond its increased portability. What I may get for my next bird is a P4 Professional or whatever follows it up.
BenDronePilot - I'm not usually the spelling police, but it's "Mavic" not "Mavick." You are misinforming a bit here. First, the P3P is not more capable in wind. There are tests on youtube that show the Mavic holds a more steady hover than even the Phantom 4 is wind gusts. Second, the Mavic is faster than the Phantom 3 Pro, 40mph vs 35mph respectively. Third, the Mavic has significantly better FPV range than the Phantom 3, 4.3miles vs 3.1 respectively. The Mavic can do 4.3 mile right out of the box for most vs most struggle to get anything close to the rated 3.1 miles out of the box with the Phantom 3. Fourth, you can attach a tablet up to the size of an iPad mini without a 3rd party product into the controller. I do it all the time. And finally, the OP already said in post #8 he's getting the Mavic.

BenDronePilot - I'm not usually the spelling police, but it's "Mavic" not "Mavick." You are misinforming a bit here. First, the P3P is not more capable iN wind. There are tests on youtube that show the Mavic holds a more steady hover than even the Phantom 4 iN wind gusts. Second, the Mavic is faster than the Phantom 3 Pro, 40mph vs 35mph respectively. Third, the Mavic has significantly better FPV range than the Phantom 3, 4.3miles vs 3.1 respectively. The Mavic can do 4.3 mile right out of the box for most vs most struggle to get anything close to the rated 3.1 miles out of the box with the Phantom 3. Fourth, you can attach a tablet up to the size of an iPad mini without a 3rd party product into the controller. I do it all the time. And finally, the OP already said in post #8 he's getting the Mavic.
I corrected your spelling mistake.

Last edited:
How many drones are you aware of that are flying away?
It's easy to get the impression that it's a common thing, google and you'll find it mentioned all over the place.
But at least for modern DJI drones it's so rare to be almost a myth.
Since the first Phantom 3 almost two years ago, DJI drones have a flight data recorder built into the app.
Analysis of flight data shows exactly what the cause of "flyaway" reports is and it's almost always user error.
In the good old days before the P3, if you lost your Phantom 1 or 2 you could tell everyone that it just flew away and save face.
Not so nowdays. Here's an example of how the flight data shows what really happened: I finally lost my Phantom - not a "flyaway"
The flight data has also helped find lost Phantoms all over the world.

Here's a little more reading on the myth of "flyaways".: Fear of Flying 2016 - The Last Word on Drone Flyaways! - Drone Flyers
Here is a confirmed Mavic flyaway last week that DJI took responsibility for:
The initial thread of the upset Mavic owner's flyaway: PLEASE HELP ME!! :( :(
The second thread of a happy customer after being told he's getting a free replacement: DJI CUSTOMER SERVICE!

I corrected your spelling mistake.
lol, thanks. I probably deserve that... Again, I'm not usually the spelling police. After all, this is a casual forum not a college classroom and I know I frequently misspell myself, but when someone is giving out all of this false information about a product as if they know all the facts when in reality he truly doesn't even know how to spell the name of the product (it wasn't an innocent slip, he misspelled it over 10 times) I just had to point it out. BenDP will probably be pissed, but I was trying to be condescending. I just think if people are coming on to this forum wanting help making a decision they should get correct information.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl