Where can I find support for my Phantom 4 Advanced?

Reaction score
There seem to be areas for the P4 and P4 Pro but pretty much no support for the P4A. Is this an orphan product that nobody else owns?

I've had so many issues with this drone over the week that I've had it and still can't get it in the air due to compass calibration issues. The dji Go 4 App does not appear to allow me to do a compass calibration. It just wants me to restart the drone and when I do it just displays the calibration error message again.

Can anyone tell me if there is a helpful forum anywhere for the P4A because I just can't get this thing off the ground :-(.

There seem to be areas for the P4 and P4 Pro but pretty much no support for the P4A. Is this an orphan product that nobody else owns?

I've had so many issues with this drone over the week that I've had it and still can't get it in the air due to compass calibration issues. The dji Go 4 App does not appear to allow me to do a compass calibration. It just wants me to restart the drone and when I do it just displays the calibration error message again.

Can anyone tell me if there is a helpful forum anywhere for the P4A because I just can't get this thing off the ground :-(.
Hi are you saying you cant click on compass or imu at all,everthing working,lights ,camera move ,do you have a camera veiw

Heres pic just incase you not find,,click general settings,,click blue icon,under sensors state,imu or compass comes up,,do you get this image on your device
1504151928390574922273.jpg
150415199254463934795.jpg
once you click compass you can calibrate,has onscreen help so cant go wrong

Can anyone tell me if there is a helpful forum anywhere for the P4A
The P4A is very close to the P4P. You should post in the P4P forums here since there isn't a dedicated P4A forum.

The dji Go 4 App does not appear to allow me to do a compass calibration. It just wants me to restart the drone and when I do it just displays the calibration error message again.
What is the exact message you're seeing? What happens when you attempt to calibrate the compass?

Under normal circumstances you should never need to calibrate the compass.
What is the issue that makes you want to calibrate the compass?

Hi are you saying you cant click on compass or imu at all,everthing working,lights ,camera move ,do you have a camera veiw
I've just spoken to the dji Store who sold the drone and been told that the Go 4 app is unreliable so I should refresh using the DJI Assistant 2. I've run a refresh on the firmware and run a calibration which appeared to go well.

When I try to use the Go 4 App now it want's me to 'Link' to a 'Mainland Chinese Telephone Number' and won't take no for an answer. It's just one thing after another.

I'll be talking to the dji Store again but it's looking like this product isn't 'fit for purpose' so I'll be looking for a refund.

I had to consider that I'd bought a lemon so I did a Google and found this site:
DJI Phantom 4 Two recent buyers from Aug 2017 are suggesting that their P4 Pros are lemons. I've never had a product that's been this bad out of the gates :-(.

I've just spoken to the dji Store who sold the drone and been told that the Go 4 app is unreliable so I should refresh using the DJI Assistant 2. I've run a refresh on the firmware and run a calibration which appeared to go well.

When I try to use the Go 4 App now it want's me to 'Link' to a 'Mainland Chinese Telephone Number' and won't take no for an answer. It's just one thing after another.

I'll be talking to the dji Store again but it's looking like this product isn't 'fit for purpose' so I'll be looking for a refund.

I had to consider that I'd bought a lemon so I did a Google and found this site:
DJI Phantom 4 Two recent buyers from Aug 2017 are suggesting that their P4 Pros are lemons. I've never had a product that's been this bad out of the gates :-(.
wow cant say i heard of mainland china phonenumber before,,someone else might be able to comment on that,unlucky you not find fix ,i had my lemon (p34k) the new one goes at least,,i just do quick search and see if something comes up about number

When I try to use the Go 4 App now it want's me to 'Link' to a 'Mainland Chinese Telephone Number' and won't take no for an answer.
Try the suggestions in this post.

Under normal circumstances you should never need to calibrate the compass.
What is the issue that makes you want to calibrate the compass?
The issue is the message, top LH corner of the screen, just to the right of the dji logo in the Go 4 app telling me, in red, that I had to calibrate the compass.

The guy from the dji Store suggested that, after I reran the Compass calibration for the 15th or 16th time and it failed, that there could be a hardware fault with Compass 2 based on me telling him that Compass 2 came up as disconnected whereas Compass 1 had a green gauge that was measuring something. Compass 2 had no gauge of any sort beside it.

He said this sort of thing can happen if you use the Go 4 app to install firmware, as I did, and suggested I use the DJI Assistant 2 on Windows 10. This did the refresh but then threw up a showstopper that required a 'Mainland Chines Telephone Number' to get past. Since I live in New Zealand and don't know anyone in Mainland China I could not oblige. Game over.

OBTW the red calibrate Compass message was still appearing.

Try the suggestions in this post.
Thx for that advice.

I've had a guts full today but I'll look at running through those steps tomorrow after I've spoken to the dji Store guy again in the morning. To be honest this whole debacle is just BS for a product that costs as much as this. I'm a member of a team that are looking to develop a commercial application using dji drones and our sponsor is as angry as me about the way this has played out. We'll be making a decision tomorrow about switching to an alternative drone if we can't get satisfaction from the dji Store. We simply cannot expect our customers to spend days debugging faulty firmware and trying to provide mainland Chinese phone numbers like this.

Gezz thinkin hard on that,now your app is loaded mayby see,,that should stop anything interfering and see what happen,,,i mean airplane mode or sim card out,,,sorry wrote backwards

Heres pic just incase you not find,,click general settings,,click blue icon,under sensors state,imu or compass comes up,,do you get this image on your deviceView attachment 87587 View attachment 87588once you click compass you can calibrate,has onscreen help so cant go wrong
Appreciate that picture thx. I did run through that with the guy from the dji Store and it threw up a possible problem with Compass 2. He then suggested I do a firmware refresh which didn't fix the problem. This could turn out to be a hardware fault with compass 2 and it'll need to be repaired or replaced under warranty. My issue would be that if Compass 2 is broken, why not say that's what's wrong. Why simply repeat that I need to do a Compass calibration when that's never going to work. The dji Go App seems to be able to recognize there's a problem with Compass 2 but spuriously spams me with a request to calibrate the app. Beyond annoying!

Appreciate that picture thx. I did run through that with the guy from the dji Store and it threw up a possible problem with Compass 2. He then suggested I do a firmware refresh which didn't fix the problem. This could turn out to be a hardware fault with compass 2 and it'll need to be repaired or replaced under warranty. My issue would be that if Compass 2 is broken, why not say that's what's wrong. Why simply repeat that I need to do a Compass calibration when that's never going to work. The dji Go App seems to be able to recognize there's a problem with Compass 2 but spuriously spams me with a request to calibrate the app. Beyond annoying!
Sorry for that start of post i was unsure what compass problem you have or i not have posted that,,yes like you say number 2 not happy,,if app still telling you to calibrate something goin on,dont want to say refund or exchange but might be the case,

And just for the record you never metion compass number 2 till 9th post,if you had of mention early early it wouldent have got this far:)

Ive got a P4 advanced and so far it has performed flawlessly

Ive got a P4 advanced and so far it has performed flawlessly
Then you my friend are a very lucky person.

I followed up with the dji Store today and they've accepted a Warranty Claim. All the grief I've suffered is the result of a hardware failure with Compass 2. I'm waiting for approval for a replacement unit under warranty.

I may end up a very happy camper but, after my experiences to date, the air has certainly leaked out of the fun balloon :(. Hopefully I can get a compass calibration working with the replacement P4Adv. Then all I need to sort out is the Mainland Chinese Phone Number issue and try to get pinch to zoom working. I have used a Samsung tablet that supports pinch to zoom on a std P4 so obviously some Android devices do support pinch to zoom. It's not just available with Apple tablets or mini-tablets.

I'd appreciate knowing if anyone has used pinch to zoom (up to 2x) on their P4Adv (or even on there P4Pro). I'm just hoping that it works the same as it does on the std P4.

One thing I am happy about is the 2K video from the HDMI Output module from the P4Adv. Very nice quality compared to the std P4.

And just for the record you never metion compass number 2 till 9th post,if you had of mention early early it wouldent have got this far:)
For your information I was told by the dji Store that firmware corruptions can lead to the sort of random behavior I was experiencing so I needed to try refreshing the firmware upgrade using the Assistant.

Now that dji have checked out the drone they have confirmed a hardware issue rather than a firmware issue. IOW they weren't sure what was wrong so I was walked through a load of time consuming refreshes and re-calibrations. If the dji Store can't be sure I can't be either. Now that they have accepted that it's a hardware fault, remember that they didn't initially, I'm hoping to get a replacement that might work out of the box. This drone was never flown so there was never any damage to it. It was effectively DOA because it was not flyable out of the box.

Gezz thinkin hard on that,now your app is loaded mayby see,,that should stop anything interfering and see what happen,,,i mean airplane mode or sim card out,,,sorry wrote backwards
Nothing I or anyone could have done or suggested would have helped in this case because there was a showstopping hardware fault that's been confirmed by the dji Store. I appreciate your thoughts.

This did the refresh but then threw up a showstopper that required a 'Mainland Chines Telephone Number' to get past. Since I live in New Zealand and don't know anyone in Mainland China I could not oblige. Game over.

Turn off the China maps in the settings.

Sorry for that start of post i was unsure what compass problem you have or i not have posted that,,yes like you say number 2 not happy,,if app still telling you to calibrate something goin on,dont want to say refund or exchange but might be the case,
Lets face it this stuff is pretty complicated. We might think that compass 2 is a backup and maybe it should be but the firmware update was wrong. I really don't know exactly where the fault lies but for a brand new product you do expect everything to 'just work' and it can take a while to sort out exactly what is wrong when it doesn't work. dji have accepted that it's a hardware error so I should be receiving a replacement P4Adv. I'm looking forward to not seeing a red error marquee once I connect to the replacement.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel