When to change props?

Reaction score
I've checked back and know this question has been asked a few times in 2017 and before. But the consensus of opinion was mixed and somewhat vague.

We usually fly early in the morning and just before sunset, out of the main hours when the South African sun is strong. The props are carefully attached and taken off again, stored in the supplied grey cloth bag, which then goes away into a special drone-carrying rucksack. Only two of us use the equipment and we're both very careful with everything. When there are bits of blood and guts from collisions with insects, this is wiped clean.

I've read that DJI suggests changing props after 200 flights. We're well over that number. All of the props look and feel smooth, seemingly as new. I've also read that a warning message will appear if there is anything abnormal detected with one of them.

We've never crashed or hit anything. There is no unusual vibration, nor unusual sound.

We never go into sport mode, pushing maximum speed.

There's a slight discolouration on the inner thread of each prop, but I think this appeared early on.

I'm keen to know from the very experienced members of this forum what you each do. Should we continue to use our original set of props until any small nick or abnormality can be felt or seen? Or is there a real concern with the inner thread becoming worn (even though we're very careful putting them on and taking them off)?

Thanks, in anticipation.

Props are cheap compared to the drone. I'd make sure they were perfectly balanced just by placing each prop on the point of a pencil and observing for heavy ends. Also keep a watch on the attachment hardware and where it connects to the prop. As long as they are still smooth and not disfigured, they should be OK but if you are the least bit unsure, change them!

Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

I've read that DJI suggests changing props after 200 flights
A prop can become damaged within as little as even an hour after unwrapping it, so there is no magic number of hours for determining when a prop should be replaced. Carefully inspect your props prior to each flight. Change a prop when you notice any wear, cracks, and/or other damage.

Thanks for your experienced comment, msinger. "If it ain't broken, don't fix it" is our current thinking. As you correctly say, a prop can be damaged at any time.

I would doubt all sets of props are manufactured exactly, with no faulty ones making it to the customer. Although we still have the second set that came with our P4P+, I would also be concerned about receiving another set by post - protected only by a padded envelope - as it could be unknowingly stressed before delivery.

Starz: Thank you, it's good to know, as that would reduce risk. In the UK, Amazon use padded envelopes (at best) for small items. Alternatively, a reliable German company that sell DJI parts post them in padded envelopes.

I dyed brand new props to make them stand out a little bit. I have balanced them as well to avoid any issues while in flight. I wonder if the dye will prolong the life of the props.
56659693565--629B05B8-82B5-46A5-AF1D-99EE1B0EF005.JPG

Obviously if your props are cracked or dinged, you want to replace them. But the question is whether a plastic prop can fail with no outer indication of damages--in other words, material fatigue like metal fatigue in aircraft propellers. Personally, I don't know, but if DJI is recommending a prop life of 200 flights, then maybe their testing has indicated some type of fatigue based on their assumption of XX average minutes per flight. Fatigue can also be produced and accelerated by vibration. You only need to lose one prop to ruin your drone, and your day.

Reactions: Phantom Pirate

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues