When is it time to replace Props?

Reaction score
I've always made sure to to take really good care of my props but just curious if at some point it's time to throw them away and replace them. Do they get brittle and break down due to stress over the years. Is there a recommended interval to replace them? Like yearly or something?

THanks!
B.

I've always made sure to to take really good care of my props but just curious if at some point it's time to throw them away and replace them. Do they get brittle and break down due to stress over the years. Is there a recommended interval to replace them? Like yearly or something?

THanks!
B.
They do not wear out or become brittle. If they have never been crashed they are just as good as brand new.

Reactions: Harleydude
I have had two incidents where my props should have been damaged == once with a hit and run car (( REALLY)) and once when I flew it into my garage door backwards. Both times I gave the props the bendy close looky inspection and have continued to use them on dozens of flights since. === Yeah I KNOW +++ really stupid.

I agree with the other replies - replace if damaged or causing excessive "wobble". I once read some article talking about maintenance of equipment, and it said replace the props after 25 hours of flight...but it was probably written by somebody that sells props! :)

I have had two incidents where my props should have been damaged == once with a hit and run car (( REALLY)) and once when I flew it into my garage door backwards. Both times I gave the props the bendy close looky inspection and have continued to use them on dozens of flights since. === Yeah I KNOW +++ really stupid.
I had a "hit and run" tree jump out in front of my drone once and it broke a prop in half. The good news is I was able to repair the broken wing with super glue. The bad news is it flew apart when my drone was 350 feet above a vacant concrete parking lot.

This is going to depend on where and how much you fly. I have two drones and fly about 10 hours a week time split 70/30 between the two drones. I inspect my props before every flight inspecting the leading edge of the props and making sure there is no play where they mount to the motors. It doesn't take much for props to become chipped and unbalanced. I also put them on the balancer after every few flights, unbalanced props cause wobble which can add fatigue to the arms of the drone. This is a good question and my answer is it's inspect them often don't wait till they fail in mid flight and use good judgment. Under no condition would I use a prop if it has struck the ground or any object.

Last edited:
Reactions: LARA images
This is going to depend on where and how much you fly. I have two drones and fly about 10 hours a week time split 70/30 between the two drones. I inspect my props before every flight inspecting the leading edge of the props and making sure there is no play where they mount to the motors. It doesn't take much for props to become chipped and unbalanced. I also put them on the balancer after every few flights, unbalanced props cause wobble which can add fatigue to the arms of the drone. This is a good question and my answer is it's inspect them often don't wait till they fail in mid flight and use good judgment. Under no condition would I use a prop if it has struck the ground or any object.
What kind of balancer do you use?

No need to replace unless you drop or crash the drone. Have had mine on for quite some time now.

One thing to inspect for - I just found it this week. On a prop with about 1.5 hours of run time, I found a small crack about 1/3 of the way around the crown of the prop, just under the silver line. It was a genuine DJI prop. It was rather hard to notice and I didn’t really think of looking there, but it just happened to catch my eye. I’m not sure if it came that way. I tossed it.

They do not wear out or become brittle. If they have never been crashed they are just as good as brand new.
Not exactly a true statement 3rdof5. All lplastic degrades when exposed to UV for prolonged periods of time, tends to become brittle. Also, being a fairly stiff plastic they will also be suseptable to stress cracking from vibration which is always there even if you can't feel it. This will usually occur at the base of the propeller blade where it becomes the hub so always look carefully or better still get a little dye crack testing kit, it can also be used for checking out the fuselage!

Reactions: LARA images

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl