When flying - what do you watch - camera view or map?

Reaction score
I am not new to flying my P3A or my P4 - however, I must admit I have yet to fly any legit distance or over a long range of any sort. I suppose I have to do a "gut check" or be more "trusting" of the technology available.

I really want to fly further distance along some nice rivers and valleys in my area and I am curious as to what people here use as to "keeping an eye" on where you are heading and when you return back.

Do you watch the camera view on your device or do you bring up the mini-map to full screen to track your venture?

I know I sound like a "newbie" and I suppose with regard to my question on flying further away from my home point makes me one with respect to doing this distance flying.

Thank you for any responses and happy safe flying n filming everyone.......

Reactions: eneilsen
For me personally. I fly as far as possible until I lose signal knowing it will turn back. I got just under 3 miles with the P3A. But I always make sure it's line if sight view with I can see far into the horizon without any obstructions. It's thrilling to see how far away I am on the map. But I trust my phantom 100% on a safe return

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
I keep camera view on and keep an eye on Radar and distance reading.

I hardly use map view during flights. That's me. Maps view are definitely useful in planning the flight routes.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

i watch the bird if I'm flying lower that the tallest trees, hills, or buildings in the area.

otherwise i watch the camera feed, making sure my movements are smooth and i'm composing the shot correctly.

in the beginning i watched the bird mostly, but now i have a lot more trust that my P3P will behave correctly.

i still look up quite a bit to check the area, but only after i've gotten the shot i wanted.

i find that the map isn't all that useful, but the orientation indicator definitely is.

Having considered priorities in flight for me it's altitude, Battery V and % (having regard to how far out I am and prevailing wind), followed by FPV, map and heading. I have the volume turned right up also so I am immediately aware of any warnings.

I'd say 95% camera view when it is downrange or a great distance away. Then scan the signal strength, battery % and other important info regularly. I've also started using earbuds to easily listen for warnings from my iPad 2 mini. These come in handy when John Q Public strolls up and starts rattling off questions, or in noisy environments.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Depends a lot on the mission, the flight mode and the conditions. If I'm in course lock once I've cleared the flight path visually then I'm almost 100% on the camera view for the whole shot. Same if I'm above everything and just navigating or looking for something. If I'm using litchi on a known preplannned route then 80-90% on the map progress with an odd glance to camera or visual occasionally just to confirm. Here in Canada beyond line of sight is verboten

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

i find that the map isn't all that useful, but the orientation indicator definitely is.

Thanks for responding - I suppose the map is great if you are flying in a larger area or a great distance since I believe the line/trail that shows your route out and away would be very handy for returning. That orientation indicator is definitely great to have when you fly. For me I guess it's learning to trust the technology - especially when I look at the mini-map and the trail I leave behind is all over the place.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Camera view 99% of the time just because it shows potential obstructions that you're not going to see on the map. Since I'm only flying VLOS anyway, I'd rather be able to see real-time threats like trees, flocks of birds or the angry guy aiming his shotgun at my Phantom!

Sent from my SM-N910V using PhantomPilots mobile app

When just gerneral flying is the map in the lower left supposed to be showing a flight path via a line. Mine does not.

When just gerneral flying is the map in the lower left supposed to be showing a flight path via a line. Mine does not.

What Phantom version are you flying P2 V+, P3 A, Pro or P4?

When I fly either my P3A or P4 it shows a circular map (radar) in the lower right hand corner on the device using DJI Go App and it shows the "red trail" as to flight path.

What Phantom version are you flying P2 V+, P3 A, Pro or P4?

When I fly either my P3A or P4 it shows a circular map (radar) in the lower right hand corner on the device using DJI Go App and it shows the "red trail" as to flight path.
flying the advanced with the latest firmware. go app is 3.0.1 i think. My maps show fine but no flight path.

flying the advanced with the latest firmware. go app is 3.0.1 i think. My maps show fine but no flight path.
funny when i called dji today he said it is not supposed to create a flight path. Thought that was crazy

funny when i called dji today he said it is not supposed to create a flight path. Thought that was crazy

I suppose in a technical sense - he is correct (despite being an *** about it, since he likely knew what you meant) - it doesn't "create a flight path" but should show you where you have flown via a red trail behind the arrow!

I suppose in a technical sense - he is correct (despite being an *** about it, since he likely knew what you meant) - it doesn't "create a flight path" but should show you where you have flown via a red trail behind the arrow!
yes that is what is not working. i cant figure out why tho. It worked one time I think but that's it. frustrating

yes that is what is not working. i cant figure out why tho. It worked one time I think but that's it. frustrating

As long as you did a compass calibration for the Phantom correctly that line should be there as far as I know - perhaps try doing a compass calibration on your device (phone or tablet) and see if that helps.

As long as you did a compass calibration for the Phantom correctly that line should be there as far as I know - perhaps try doing a compass calibration on your device (phone or tablet) and see if that helps.
thanks man. did calibration and cleared cash and working now. Thanks for your help!

thanks man. did calibration and cleared cash and working now. Thanks for your help!

Good to hear - way to go! One thing to keep in mind is if you ever notice the compass is off when looking at the radar screen and turning your body 90' - it might be the device compass needs calibrating.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31