When do you use ND8 and when do you use ND16 Filters?

D

DrewFlies

I been using my 3 filters from SRP religiously and just cant really figure out whens the proper time to use them.

I have the ND8 CP and non CP I also have the ND 16 CP.

One bad thing I will say about them. I noticed during the post is will give a black ring around the image. Looks very unprofessional and I have to zoom or scale the image to blend the faint black ring.

Going on to my question. I noticed sometimes it would be too bright that even the ND 8 did not work properly and I will have a poor image quality whether its a jello effect, noise or rolling shutter. The sad part is I will never notice when I'm out and flying. But, during post thats when it gives me a headache.

What are your guys tips and advice to using ND 8 and ND 16 filters?

ND filters should be used when recording on bright days to give you smoother, more cinematic, video quality. A well setup camera should have a shutter speed that is double the frame rate. Therefore if you're shooting at 30 fps you should have a shutter speed of roughly 60. 24fps would be 48 or 50. When flying on bright days without ND, regardless of frame rate, you will have a low ISO of 100 and an extremely high frame rate of 2,000 FPS. With the ND 16 filter you should be able to get your shutter speed down to the desired rate.

I am a professional videographer and ND filter wheels are built into the front of most major cameras. With regards to the "black ring" make sure your filter is threaded on the entire way.

I hope this helps!

Reactions: Eddyfisher
With regards to the "black ring" make sure your filter is threaded on the entire way
There are no threads. They slide on. SRP filters are extremely hard to slide on, so it's tough to tell when they are fully seated sometimes.

ND filters should be used when recording on bright days to give you smoother, more cinematic, video quality. A well setup camera should have a shutter speed that is double the frame rate. Therefore if you're shooting at 30 fps you should have a shutter speed of roughly 60. 24fps would be 48 or 50. When flying on bright days without ND, regardless of frame rate, you will have a low ISO of 100 and an extremely high frame rate of 2,000 FPS. With the ND 16 filter you should be able to get your shutter speed down to the desired rate.

I am a professional videographer and ND filter wheels are built into the front of most major cameras. With regards to the "black ring" make sure your filter is threaded on the entire way.

I hope this helps!

Thank you. Very informing and I was aware of this. However, when changing the shutter speed it messes around with the EV and the ISO. I can't manually set the ISO, EV and Shutter all to a custom setting. When I switch one, the other switch too

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94