What's the best tablet for a Phantom 3?

ok you think then that s not the problem of processor of tablet ?i didnt upgrade firmwire either cause i read lots of not good stuff about new firmwire ,what do you recomend if i may ask .many thanks

Hi everyone, first post.
I am a week old happy P3P owner.
The aircraft is great (it even survived a crash, RTH crap, flawlessly) BUT the Dji Pilot app (1.2 android, Samsung Galaxy S3) performs terrible on my phone.
Most of the times, it won't even open, forcing me to multiple tries or the eventual reset.
When it does, the fpv video is choppy and laggy, hardly usable for anything "risky".
On top of everything, the app crashes constantly, no matter the distance from the quad.
This can be frightening, as I end up suddenly with no fpv or telemetry from the aircraft.
The only time when it seems to work is indoors.

So... I was thinking about getting me a tablet.
But I've been reading horror stories from pretty much every model (ios or android), same complaints about bad video feed and app closing.

Maybe the problem is on the app itself?!?
I wouldn't like to invest another 300€ on a iPad 2 Mini, only to discover the same issues.

This is a great community, i've been following you for weeks, it's a pleasure to be part of it!

Personally I use the note 8 and the iPad mini 3. I like the iPad software better but the screen is harder to see in the light. The android app seems much more unstable so I stick to iOS for now

Hi everyone, first post.
I am a week old happy P3P owner.
The aircraft is great (it even survived a crash, RTH crap, flawlessly) BUT the Dji Pilot app (1.2 android, Samsung Galaxy S3) performs terrible on my phone.
Most of the times, it won't even open, forcing me to multiple tries or the eventual reset.
When it does, the fpv video is choppy and laggy, hardly usable for anything "risky".
On top of everything, the app crashes constantly, no matter the distance from the quad.
This can be frightening, as I end up suddenly with no fpv or telemetry from the aircraft.
The only time when it seems to work is indoors.

Try downgrading Google Play Services. http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/check-out-this-guys-near-miss-with-rth.48031/page-2#post-450666

95% certain that will be a workaround for what you are describing.

On the tablet front, perhaps hold off to see if DJI manage to streamline their app so it's not such a CPU hog on Android.

Reactions: Luis Costa
I have the Nexus II 2013 version and it works a treat at a fraction of the price of the shield and ipads!!
I second this. I just got my gear in the last few weeks and watched this forum for months trying to decide on a tablet. I selected the Nexus 7 2013 and am very pleased with it. Good screen size, I can see it well in daylight without a shade (but I'm still planning to get one when I find one I like), good performance. I got mine new at Microcenter for $200.

I have dedicated it to my Phantom flying & stripped off all the extra bloat ware. I reboot before every flight. Had a couple app crashes but I attribute that issue to the app & it didn't cause any flight problems.

I've got an iPad air 2 and it works a treat. Nice and light, great battery and just the right size for the remote.

Yes, as an Android user it pains me to say that there are definite issues with the app on the Android side of things.

What kind of issues? The only problem is that there are not many Android devices around that have a good enough processor. Nothing to do with the app I think. I started out using a Samsung Tab 3, which sucked, cause the processor isn't fast / powerful enough.

After researching a bit, cause I really don't want to end up with an Apple, I found out there are a few Android devices that could live up to the app's demands. I now own one of those and everything is running a-ok, smooth as. My DJI Android app doesn't have any issues on my Android device.

What kind of issues? The only problem is that there are not many Android devices around that have a good enough processor. Nothing to do with the app I think. I started out using a Samsung Tab 3, which sucked, cause the processor isn't fast / powerful enough.

After researching a bit, cause I really don't want to end up with an Apple, I found out there are a few Android devices that could live up to the app's demands. I now own one of those and everything is running a-ok, smooth as. My DJI Android app doesn't have any issues on my Android device.

Lag, overheating, crashing - these are experienced even on the devices they mark as supported.
Check out http://forum.dji.com/thread-16777-1-2.html, probably the most popular and infamous thread on DJI's own forums.

Sure it wants lots of CPU, but I think it's just inefficient in its implementation. It requires lots of CPU when the FPV feed isn't even started. And many have indicated these problems weren't evident until the 1.1.9 firmware upgrade.

Have google maps giving directions on a low end device in the background, and play a lowly 720p 'hi def' video. Most if not all tablets can handle those tasks.

Funny... A lot of folks recommending iPad mini here, but when I go to download the pilot app it says that 'it's not compatible with this device'. Anyone else see this?

Funny... A lot of folks recommending iPad mini here, but when I go to download the pilot app it says that 'it's not compatible with this device'. Anyone else see this?
I have the iPad mini 2 retina and it works great. I also have the iPad air 2 which also works great. I prefer the mini because its the perfect size for the controller. No issues installing the app.

Try downgrading Google Play Services. http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/check-out-this-guys-near-miss-with-rth.48031/page-2#post-450666

95% certain that will be a workaround for what you are describing.

On the tablet front, perhaps hold off to see if DJI manage to streamline their app so it's not such a CPU hog on Android.

Thank you!
Just tried this, and for the very first time (ring the bells!!!) not a single app crash on my veteran Samsung Galaxy S3.
It works, although the video feed is still laggy and jerky.
At least, it did not crash.

Reactions: ScottyT
This is what I see from my mini when I try to download the Pilot app. Any ideas? Thanks ahead of time!

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1437328399.246399.jpg

I'm using a Galaxy Tab S 8.4 32GB. The Model Number is SM-T700NTSEXAR. Everything seems to work well with the Pilot app and the display does ok in the sunlight conditions that I've used it in so far.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20