What's the best Google Cardboard headset for FPV?

Reaction score
I want to get something that is comfortable to wear, has a good set of lenses and wide view for my Samsung S6 with 5.7" screen that I am about to buy. It is so hard to tell what is crap and what is good from the ads online. I have tested FPV with a cardboard viewer and it is crap due to cheap lenses and poor fit, etc. Has anyone bought these $20 - $50 phone headsets and found a good one? Or maybe tell me what the bad ones are so I don't buy the wrong one. I thought about the Samsung VR but it has to be cut up to work with the DJI controller so that is kind of a waste for $99 just to hack up something.

I want to get something that is comfortable to wear, has a good set of lenses and wide view for my Samsung S6 with 5.7" screen that I am about to buy. It is so hard to tell what is crap and what is good from the ads online. I have tested FPV with a cardboard viewer and it is crap due to cheap lenses and poor fit, etc. Has anyone bought these $20 - $50 phone headsets and found a good one? Or maybe tell me what the bad ones are so I don't buy the wrong one. I thought about the Samsung VR but it has to be cut up to work with the DJI controller so that is kind of a waste for $99 just to hack up something.
Zeiss has a pair specifically for the S6 and iPhone. Zeiss has a VR headset I'd actually consider wearing | DJI Phantom Forum
They appear to be on back order, but you can pick up a paid on eBay now for around $200

It looks pretty good and has glass lenses

I'm tempted to get the HooToo setup mentioned in post #4 for my iPhone 6+. I use Litchi, but the iOS version doesn't have VR yet. Do I need another app to make it work with either Litchi or GO?

I have the Quanum DIY FPV goggle set with the single fresnel lens in it from another quadcopter. I removed the LCD screen and put in my iphone 5S and it works great with my P3A, but I wanted a better lens than the fresnel lens that came with it. I thought I would be able to use the lenses that came with the Google Cardboard kit so I bought that also... But when I look through two separate lenses, I can't see the entire image. I've tried putting my phone in front of the cardboard and viewing a picture but I can still only see part of the image.

Do these goggles with the two lenses correct for viewing an image in "non" split screen somehow?

I'd like to get that HooToo set, but I'm afraid it'll be the same problem as the Google cardboard.

I have the Quanum DIY FPV goggle set with the single fresnel lens in it from another quadcopter. I removed the LCD screen and put in my iphone 5S and it works great with my P3A, but I wanted a better lens than the fresnel lens that came with it. I thought I would be able to use the lenses that came with the Google Cardboard kit so I bought that also... But when I look through two separate lenses, I can't see the entire image. I've tried putting my phone in front of the cardboard and viewing a picture but I can still only see part of the image.

Do these goggles with the two lenses correct for viewing an image in "non" split screen somehow?

I'd like to get that HooToo set, but I'm afraid it'll be the same problem as the Google cardboard.

This is funny I actually started taking apart my Quanum yesterday. I will probably just wait now since I ordered the nice HooToo viewer and it's on it's way. The quanum was great for my little Estes Proto-X FPV and plugged right into the stock controller with a cable I made.

Good find. And it's 80% off too (lol). At that price I might pick one up just for the hell of it.
It is supposed to have glass lenses which indicates a pretty decent quality. One reviewer said it was as good as the Samsung VR, without the extra sensors of course. Zeiss has better optics I am sure but using your phone as a screen saves tons of money. I was planning to upgrade my S4 to a S6 edge + anyway.

Google cardboard and other VR headsets are primarily made to view 3D images with two lenses and two side by side images. P3 uses single camera and thus produces only one image. Apps like Litchi divide that single image into two side by side images for no good reason. You get half the resolution of the device utilized.

It would be better to view a single image on the full screen. I will never go for Google card board solution for P3

I have thought about that as well. I want a good VR viewer anyway to replace my cardboard viewer that hurts my face. I may actually be cutting this one up and adding a fresnel or other lens to it. Even if I just do single screen, (which will probably be better) just having a 5.7" Galaxy 6+ screen inches from my face will be like looking at a big screen TV and will reduce all the glare, etc.

So if you have one of those goggles with two lenses, you need an app like Litchi or Cloudlight to split the screens then right?

Are there some other goggles out there with better lenses than a fresnel, that you can use your phone without splitting the screen?

Yes, the goggles with 2 lenses need a double image that has been distorted so it looks normal when viewed through the round lenses. The one I ordered has a nice ski goggle style foam face gasket and glass lenses. The other option is to use something like a box with a Fresnel lens. I just flew with my old Quanum. I just removed the stock screen it came with and taped my phone to the front. I uploaded some photos. The image was not quite as distorted as it appears in the photo. BUT it was not exactly clear either. I can see me eventually using something like the Quanum with a larger Fresnel lens and moving the phone another inch or two further away. The screen in the Quanum is smaller than my Galaxy S4 phone so the Fresnel lens was undersized for viewing my phone. I am about to get the larger Galaxy S6+ so I will definitely need more distance and a larger lens.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic