What the Phantom 5 should have been?

Information directly relevant to the part of the post I quoted in Post #20

Dude I think I need to report you, so how about 3 mins?
I played it three of four times, The whole video is 4:08 mins!

I finally figured it out when I watched the whole thing with sound.

@John Locke,
I supposed you figured it out from the Go-Get?

Rod

Dang, You and @BigAl07 recently.. :rolleyes:

Rod

Reactions: BigAl07
I'm thinking the Evolve 2 would be great for a video shooter but just isn't going work out for me with only 12MP resolution for stills.
Maybe they'll prompt DJI to release something to compete?

But ... just found this:
From 3:07 he suggests that they are working on a high megapixel camera with dedicated zoom lens.
That would tick all my boxes.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffreyS
Are we positive DJI has abandoned further development of the Phantom line?

Consider that it was all but assumed that the story that they had supplier issues is why the P4P went out of stock was BS (I said so myself) and turns out it was true. They are producing the P4P v2 again (no reason to produce prior models).

While I do believe they will continue to go forward with the smaller form factor Mavic - I don’t know that this means we’ll never see anything else in the Phantom series.

How awesome if they even just released an update (v3?) to bring the exclusive features the Mavic has to the Phantom. Hyperlapse in DJI Go comes to mind.

Are we positive DJI has abandoned further development of the Phantom line?

Consider that it was all but assumed that the story that they had supplier issues is why the P4P went out of stock was BS (I said so myself) and turns out it was true. They are producing the P4P v2 again (no reason to produce prior models).

While I do believe they will continue to go forward with the smaller form factor Mavic - I don’t know that this means we’ll never see anything else in the Phantom series.

No way to know for sure, but there is hope for now with the re-release of a Phantom to the consumer market. It doesnt seem to be over yet, but we will see.

My prediction for the next Mavic Pro series drone is that it will be slightly larger again, as we got from M1 to M2. Cant imagine otherwise to accommodate any better camera that would be offered.

-KG

The Evolve 2 was planned for release last year by the pandemic trashed those plans.
Xdynamics has been working on getting it to production and it's looking like it will probably be available in about a month.
Yesterday they unveiled their new website for what looks like it's going to be the best new drone of the year.

The Evolve 2 looks like it will be a photographers dream machine with a mirrorless m4/3 camera mount that uses widely available lenses. At US$3700 without lenses that’s a lot of $$$$ for me as a hobbiest photographer. I’m more willing to spend that kind of money on a DSLR/mirrorless camera and lenses than on a flying camera where there is much more potential for something to go wrong.
Just my 2 cents.

Chris

But it's a lot less than any other way to get a 4/3 camera + interchangeable lenses into the air.
$1600 less than an Inspire 2 +X5s camera, and a lot more easily portable.
I have never heard of xdynamics before. What is their history/record in the drone camera market?

I wish the price wasn’t so high for just the drone and the gimbal/camera mount. When the US$$ are converted to CAN$$$ there is a significant price increase which makes the price of entry way to high for me unless I win the lottery (which I don’t play anyway).

Are you thinking of giving them a try?

Chris

I have never heard of xdynamics before. What is their history/record in the drone camera market?
They brought out one model a few years back.
It looked OK but wasn't competitive against Phantoms.
They've put a lot of effort into the Evolve 2 though and have put a lot of thought into this one.
I wish the price wasn’t so high for just the drone and the gimbal/camera mount. When the US$$ are converted to CAN$$$ there is a significant price increase which makes the price of entry way to high for me unless I win the lottery (which I don’t play anyway).
Are you thinking of giving them a try?
If DJI had continued the development of the Phantom and offered something like this I'd have snapped it up in a flash.
But they've made no real advance since the P4 pro 4.5 years ago.
Unless DJI pull a rabbit out of the hat and bring something like this to the market very soon, so I'll be going for the Evolve 2.

I have been sitting on the fence for years deciding whether to buy a P4P or the newer M2P. They are more within the price I would be willing to pay. The Evolve 2 certainly does look like it will be a great photography drone and will meet the expectations for many photographers - it's very tempting as I have always wanted a drone with a larger sensor with interchangeable lenses similar to my DSLRs so that I can have more flexibility in what I want to capture and capture images with more dynamic range.

Most of my drone photography is capturing landscapes or features of landscapes in all seasons, documenting ruins of abandoned places or old settlements. I do lots of panos and because I use older low end drones at the moment, I often use HDR or AEB to get better images if I can before tweaking in post. I also hike, ski, or snowshoe to most of my flight locations so any future drone I purchase has to be relatively portable and durable as well as weather resistant as I often am out in very cold conditions. One other consideration for me, is that with DJI drones there is lots of support for third party software which I use probably more often than DJIs own software particularly Dronelink, Litchi, and Hammer

One of the reasons I have probably been delaying the purchase of a better camera drone is probably the same reason I have two DSLRs - a bigger heavier full frame DSLR with more specialized higher quality lenses I use for specific purposes like astrophotography and low light, and a zoom for bird shots. I also have a small compact crop-sensor DSLR that I have an 18-400mm lens for that I take with me everywhere. With drones, I am considering an eventual upgrade to the Mini 2 for the take anywhere drone but still haven't determined what to upgrade to for a higher end drone. One thing I do know, is that when I do upgrade, like my cameras, I do not want to be doing the upgrade thing every time a shiny new drone comes out so I want to make the right choice for me the first time.

I will be watching this thread with interest. @Meta4 keep us updated on the Evolve 2. I would be very interested to hear your impressions/review of it if/when you get it.

Chris

I think this thread has answered most of my questions from my post about a Phantom 3 replacement!
Tempted to grab a P4P while they are still around. It should last me 5 years, unless something dramatic happens! I'm commercial use, so have to be wary about the changing UK legislation.
Mavic's still don't seem to be a replacement for proper aerial mapping - although I'd like to hear if people have found them to be OK for this use.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4