What went wrong

Reaction score
Hello all
I just got my DJI Phantom 3 adv back from DJI from a drop out of the sky crash. DJI did cover the cost of the repair( new shell, new main board, and gimbal motors).Shipped it back to me just before Christmas. I took it out and did a quick flight and very thing seem great. The video feed was a little odd. I was getting like 10 to 20 delays on the screen. I had the video setup at 2.7k. I was thinking it maybe from that. I never tried to recorder in that high of level.
So yesterday morning I went out with some friends and was flying it around. first flight was nothing great but had poor signal. So I landed and let it set for a few minutes and put in a fully charged battery and took off. got a bout 4400 ft and lost all video & telemetry. only thing on the screen was a picture of what was last sent in black & white. Pushed the RTH button and the controller shown a fail. So I sat there waiting. Think it should do what it's suppose to do and RTH when signal is lost. after about 2 minutes I started getting signal and the drone was only 800 ft away. I brought it down a little and everything looked good. I sent it back out about 1200 ft and was getting poor signal so I brought it back and landed.
Got home was looking at the video and up loaded the data file to healthy drone. here are the fining. Watch the video right around 4:40 minutes. The drone is in RTH on it's only and I'm not seeing anything.
I did contact DJI tech support. They told me to recalibrate go to a different location. I did recalibrate and I'm going out later. DJI Tech support told me that the Phantom's do have it's limits. I told him I did not pay $1000 to go 800 feet.
Will enjoy

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Are your antennas vertical? Next flight when you start to lose signal try to gain some altitude to see what difference it may have as you where at times fairly low and this makes aiming the signal beam of the antennas to the craft more difficult. Nice place to fly by the way.

Are your antennas vertical? Next flight when you start to lose signal try to gain some altitude to see what difference it may have as you where at times fairly low and this makes aiming the signal beam of the antennas to the craft more difficult. Nice place to fly by the way.
I had the antenna straight up and facing where the drone was. As for the area everyone loves this places. 4 miles straight out nothing to hit. and if you do have to land You can drive or walk to it.;)
I'll have to give the credit to the Indians for that. If you know what I mean.

Where I fly is snow covered, freezing and cold on the hands, if my P4 would ever drop out of the sky in the snow it would be pretty hard to locate. To improve signal my first add on was windsurfers and they made a descent improvement, I now have DBS2 and that will take me out as far as the battery will bring it back. With the dbs2 and the windsurfers you really have to adjust your aim as just a few degrees off will make a difference. When I start to lose signal I gain some altitude and usually the signal improves.

I went back out this morning with my P3a The same place( I know DJI asked for you to go to a different location). This time I flow straight west. In the video I was flying southwest. I flow out to 14000ft with no problems. The different between today and yesterday:
different direction, I was using my phone ( Motorola Turbo) instead of my tablet ( LG 8 inch model VK810 4G), I did un install the Go app from my phone and re installed it, re calibrated the drone ( IMU),
I did try going the same direction as Yesterday. I got about 2200 ft and was getting poor signal so I turned around. I was using my Tablet, I bought it back landed and then un installed the go app from my tablet rebooted the tablet and re installed the go app. Then try to go the same direction. have the same problem. I bought the drone back but this time I headed straight west With very little problem got out to 10000ft.
In the past Me and other had no problem going in the southwest direction. But lately there is something going on that kills the signal.

Where I fly is snow covered, freezing and cold on the hands, if my P4 would ever drop out of the sky in the snow it would be pretty hard to locate. To improve signal my first add on was windsurfers and they made a descent improvement, I now have DBS2 and that will take me out as far as the battery will bring it back. With the dbs2 and the windsurfers you really have to adjust your aim as just a few degrees off will make a difference. When I start to lose signal I gain some altitude and usually the signal improves.
I was using a windsurfer yesterday and it do not help ( which is the first time). I have 2 different controller for my P3a. one with stock rabbit ears antenna's and the other is mod with the DBS ( I call l small) antenna. In the pasts I've been able to push it out to 4.2 miles heading west. in the southwest direction I've gone right around 3 miles.

Snow that is that white stuff right. :cool:

Yepper, you don't get that in Pheonix very often! lol. We get that 4+ months up here, but then I get to snowmobile in some of the best trails in Northern Ontario. It was warmer today a balmy 15F so I flew a battery, it's going to be in the minuses in the next few days so flying will be a no go.
Snow that is that white stuff right. :cool:

Yepper, you don't get that in Pheonix very often! lol. We get that 4+ months up here, but then I get to snowmobile in some of the best trails in Northern Ontario. It was warmer today a balmy 15F so I flew a battery, it's going to be in the minuses in the next few days so flying will be a no go.
Brrrrrr And snowmobiling now that is some fun. Grow up in northern Ohio. Back then there were nothing like they are now. If you were lucky to have a electric start most were pull start. And back then Polar only made snowmobiles.

Ok update. I see that a lot of people are having problems with the newest firmware. while at DJI they gave me an early gift updated my drone to 1.10.90. Thank you DJI. NO going back now. any way I went out this morning temp at 9:30am was 52 degrees f. no wind and I'm back at the same place I was having problems with the day before. This time I'll be flying straight west instead of southwestern. Watch the video and enjoy.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl