What to do with battery after phantom crash

Reaction score
So I had a crash with my P3P a couple days ago..My phantom caught a tree branch and fell about 30-45ish feet. I had some scratches and some separation in the seams of the body so I sent it to drone nerds down in Florida for a repair.
My question now is what should I do with the battery? I know that I need to inspect for any damage or punctures before charging again, but is there anything else I should do? Is it likely that a fall like this one could render the battery useless? Do batteries generally stand up crashes?

Thanks!

It may be OK, but lipo batteries do not like trauma, and may start to swell on you. When they swell, they are toast. I would put it aside for a few days and monitor it. Assuming it seems ok, is not swollen or warm, and registers that is still has charge, charge it fully and see how it does. If physically it seems ok, I would do some light flying and check it on healthydrones.com for any cell anomalies it can pick up. You may be ok.
In the "old days" of RC plane flying, we would NEVER reuse a lipo after a crash, but they didn't cost $145 either.

I have one that has a slice in the outer metal enclosure. I am afraid to use it.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1446056080.230423.jpg

Yeah, Bartold, from what I've read on the net about these LiPo batteries yours should probably be disposed of and not used.

Thank you for the info eBird! I'll have to take some time to inspect the battery (I haven't taken time to look over it thoroughly) and then go from there!

Well the first thing you do is pop then in the Phantom and see if they have a error. I brought a battery that had cell damage (which was not told to me before purchase) and the Go app screamed cell damage and wanted me to land it.

Yeah, Bartold, from what I've read on the net about these LiPo batteries yours should probably be disposed of and not used.

Thank you for the info eBird! I'll have to take some time to inspect the battery (I haven't taken time to look over it thoroughly) and then go from there!

Yea, I purchased another one already.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers