What to Charge Standard Controller?

Reaction score
Just picked up a Standard P3 as a backup to my P34K from Walmart for 399. What is safe to charge it with? I have a lot of Samsung phone chargers that will charge up to 2 amps. Or should I just charge off the usb on my pc at a lower rate.
Should the power switch be in the off position when charging? In off position I have red led and no blinking green as manual states.
Thanks

Last edited:
Either of those options are safe.

Reactions: Brayan2134
As an established modeller with lipo chargers etc. - I wish the transmitter had 'normal' charge connection instead of usb.

I understand that DJI basically accepted that many people have mobile phones etc. with the micro connector and stuck with it.

I also feel its a pity that the flight battery has not been designed so a standard lipo can be put into the case - still providing telemetry etc. but making the battery more economic to replace etc.

Nigel

Just picked up a Standard P3 as a backup to my P34K from Walmart for 399. What is safe to charge it with? I have a lot of Samsung phone chargers that will charge up to 2 amps. Or should I just charge off the usb on my pc at a lower rate.
Should the power switch be in the off position when charging? In off position I have red led and no blinking green as manual states.
Thanks

For the the controller anything above .5A and 5V DC is fine. 2A is plenty, and it doesn't matter if it's higher it won't draw more anyways.

It's best to charge with t
Thanks

Anything between .5A and 2A is fine, it won't charge any faster above 2A and you won't damage it with a charger above 2A either, the controller can't draw any more.

The flashing battery indicator is only while the controller is on. I prefer to charge with the controller off, it's more efficient.

This is actually great news, I have plenty of 1.5 to 2A phone chargers laying around, plus my car lighter plug chargers that put out up to 2A.

I'm asking because otherwise it's an assumption, and we know what that does - When the TX completes its charge and changes color, is it going to a topping mode at that point, or should one pull it off whatever you are using to charge it?

For the the controller anything above .5A and 5V DC is fine. 2A is plenty, and it doesn't matter if it's higher it won't draw more anyways.

It's best to charge with t

Anything between .5A and 2A is fine, it won't charge any faster above 2A and you won't damage it with a charger above 2A either, the controller can't draw any more.

The flashing battery indicator is only while the controller is on. I prefer to charge with the controller off, it's more efficient.
Thanks. Is the only way to video and take photos via the app? I'm used to the 4K controller with the buttons to initiate photo/vids.

Thanks. Is the only way to video and take photos via the app? I'm used to the 4K controller with the buttons to initiate photo/vids.

For the P3S, yes, only thru the app, as the controller doesn't have the dedicated buttons.

A 1 amp Apple charger works for me.
The reason l asked is l burned up the boards on 2 $50 dollar batteries (non relative) by charging w/ 2amp charger instead of recommended 1amp

The reason l asked is l burned up the boards on 2 $50 dollar batteries (non relative) by charging w/ 2amp charger instead of recommended 1amp

The controller draws up to 2, and 2 is fine. It doesn't draw any more so 5 is also fine - I don't know what the device you were charging before is like but the controller doesn't work like this and 2A is fine.

Reactions: Ohiowoodsman
This is actually great news, I have plenty of 1.5 to 2A phone chargers laying around, plus my car lighter plug chargers that put out up to 2A.

I'm asking because otherwise it's an assumption, and we know what that does - When the TX completes its charge and changes color, is it going to a topping mode at that point, or should one pull it off whatever you are using to charge it?

If the controller is off it's red while charging and turns green when complete. It doesn't continue to charge at that point but will enter in a trickle state. You don't need to run to unplug it when it's green, and leaving it like that overnight is no issue either. But - don't leave it on the charger while fully charged indefinitely - that is trickle charging and it's not advisable for very long periods of time.

The answer also needs to consider whether constant current or constant voltage charger.

The case of the guy burning out with 2A was probably with a constant current device or an unregulated one that relies on the item bring charged to regulate it.

Second - most transmitter controllers in RC world are not designed for greater charge rates than 1A. Reason is that they have thin wiring, diode polarity protection. The Phantom controller here uses the micro USB plug - so most likely does not have such diode protection .... but still the wiring will be unable to sustain high rates. 2A in my opinion is as high as anyone should go.

As regards leaving connected after charged ? It will not harm to leave for z short period, as the amps will be very low in the mA trickle range if anything. But not good to leave indefinitely. The battery is likely to be a 1S lipo and they do not like being pressed up continuously.

Nigel

The answer also needs to consider whether constant current or constant voltage charger.

The case of the guy burning out with 2A was probably with a constant current device or an unregulated one that relies on the item bring charged to regulate it.

Second - most transmitter controllers in RC world are not designed for greater charge rates than 1A. Reason is that they have thin wiring, diode polarity protection. The Phantom controller here uses the micro USB plug - so most likely does not have such diode protection .... but still the wiring will be unable to sustain high rates. 2A in my opinion is as high as anyone should go.

As regards leaving connected after charged ? It will not harm to leave for z short period, as the amps will be very low in the mA trickle range if anything. But not good to leave indefinitely. The battery is likely to be a 1S lipo and they do not like being pressed up continuously.

Nigel

Nigel,

Nice considerations, definately the wiring cant take more than 2A, agreed., why not just open it and tell us what you believe the batt to be? Or is that single cell unmarked?

Does anyone make anything like a "Digipace II" for these systems? Could be a market.

It's a discharger with timer and a charger/trickle charger, used currently with my R/C gear, ni-cads right now.

I plan on using an old Moto charger to try out - 5V and 550mA - I do get a red light on it, but figure a slower charge time without the danger of pushing it at 1.5 to 2A.

The cell car charger is 5V 1.5A, could be nice for a quick reup if on site.

Really any micro USB cable would work. Unless you buy like a 10 cent charger on eBay, nothing can really happen. The controller is a 5v 1 amp I believe. So that's the limit for charhing. If you charge with let's say 5 amps, the controller would only take in 1 amp. Your safe and do not worry to much about that. If your using the included charger and any brick for charging, you are fine!

I will open my controller when I return home as I am very interested to see the true situation.
Particularly to verify if it really does have a regulator.

Post here talks about included charger ..... what charger ? I only rec'd a charger for my flight battery. The controller only had a USB lead supplied. P3S.

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31