What the Phantom 5 should have been?

Meta4

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Drone flying for me, is all about the photography.
If DJI would put a significantly better camera in the air, in an easily portable package and at a reasonable price, I'd buy it in a snap.
Seeing DJI's development of a Phantom camera with interchangeable lenses a couple of years back gave me high hopes it was on the way.
DJI certainly have been dragging their heels when it comes to developing a better flying camera, since the P4 pro came out over three years ago.
And no viable alternatives have come from other manufacturers since the P4 pro was released either .......

Until now (maybe?)
One of the new drones announced at CES recently, on paper looks promising and perhaps is what the Phantom should have been by now if DJI had continued its development.
It's the XDynamics Evolve 2. Evolve 2 (Pre-Order) - XDynamics Store
The first Xdynamics Evolve was shing black carbon fibre but had fairly uninspiring specs.
Their development team has been very busy and come up with something that looks very advanced and possibly competitive against DJI's offerings.

I'm uncertain about their 4/3 camera being 12MP and need to find out more about it before I jump but so far the Evolve 2 is ticking most of my boxes.
Looking forward to seeing how this one works out when it gets to the market to see how it lives up to the initial information.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Looks cool. IF...DJI released the Phantom 4 AND the Mavic Pro at the same time to cater to different markets, I would never have had purchased the P4 or any other Phantom for that matter. The Mavic Pro checked off most of the boxes for me even though the camera wasn't as good as the P4's...still it was good enough for me as a hobbyist.

IF DJI continued on their path with their Phantom line, I want to believe it would have produced something similar to the XDynamic's bird, but I'm pretty sure it would just have had the regular improvements with DJI DNA. I have no doubt producing an XDynamics level bird would be child's play for DJI, but it appears the market just isn't there.

Reactions: Meta4
Perhaps the Evolve 2 would trigger DJI to release one of the projects they've been sitting on just waiting to drop on the market to suppress the competition.
.... that's if one common forum idea about DJI really is true.

Reactions: DKG13CC
I do not believe the DJI will ever make a consumer drone with interchangeable lens. The inspire is the best pro-Sumer aircraft. I have a inspire 2 with the x7 and it is the best photos

Reactions: Gmanstyle
I do not believe the DJI will ever make a consumer drone with interchangeable lens. The inspire is the best pro-Sumer aircraft. I have a inspire 2 with the x7 and it is the best photos
Yes ... the I2 and X7 are great, but they cost how much, and are how big/heavy/clumsy to carry around?

Yes ... the I2 and X7 are great, but they cost how much, and are how big/heavy/clumsy to carry around?
For me I am hoping the Mavic 3 will have a better cam than the P4P, I much prefer the compactness of the Mavic line.

I am also looking at the Autel Evo 2 with the 3 changeable cameras, 1/2" sensor, 1" sensor, and duel sensor with high quality FLIR imaging.

That being said, on a P5 I would want retractable legs, better and changeable cameras, but that is the Inspire...

Either way DJI will need to step up their game to keep up with the competition, many interesting new drones at CES.

20200107_144611.jpg20200107_145202.jpg20200107_152746.jpg20200108_135901.jpg20200107_143756.jpg

Reactions: Ty Alderdice
Drone flying for me, is all about the photography.
If DJI would put a significantly better camera in the air, in an easily portable package and at a reasonable price, I'd buy it in a snap.
Seeing DJI's development of a Phantom camera with interchangeable lenses a couple of years back gave me high hopes it was on the way.
DJI certainly have been dragging their heels when it comes to developing a better flying camera, since the P4 pro came out over three years ago.
And no viable alternatives have come from other manufacturers since the P4 pro was released either .......

Until now (maybe?)
One of the new drones announced at CES recently, on paper looks promising and perhaps is what the Phantom should have been by now if DJI had continued its development.
It's the XDynamics Evolve 2. Evolve 2 (Pre-Order) - XDynamics Store
The first Xdynamics Evolve was shing black carbon fibre but had fairly uninspiring specs.
Their development team has been very busy and come up with something that looks very advanced and possibly competitive against DJI's offerings.
amic
I'm uncertain about their 4/3 camera being 12MP and need to find out more about it before I jump but so far the Evolve 2 is ticking most of my boxes.
Looking forward to seeing how this one works out when it gets to the market to see how it lives up to the initial information.
At $3700.00 the XDynamic Evolve 2 will mostly be for the professional only

Exactly. Phantom 5
A phantom with retractable legs and a 360° camera would be awesome. Add interchangeable lenses and it would be incredible. And if possible some upgraded sensors like the skydio 2. I just love Phantoms more than Mavic. Brute power.

Reactions: Capt KO

The Inspire 2/X7 is anything but Pro-Sumer.

I find it intersting the way these categorizations come about, and subsequently change. People used to call the P4P the “best pro-sumer” drone available. Oddly enough, the second the M2 was released, that became the best “pro-sumer” drone (by DJIs stated standards and the court of public opinion). This turn of event has now (by marketing default) elevated the P4P V2.0 to “Professional Drone” by DJIs own description upon its recent re-release. Someone is really playing perceptual games here.

Youre right on track here. Lugging my I2/X7 around with 8 batteries and 2 controllers is back-breaking. Especially since I live on a second floor flat. The results are stunning but, I find myself longing for a better Phantom-sized option that will perform in low light and offer some real codecs. The re-release of the P4P V2.0 gives hope that the series may continue. Until then the EVO 2 with the 1” sensor is looking pretty tempting.

On to the Xdynamics Evolve 2: This is exciting. Incredibly well made and designed, seems to hold its position incredibly well with no GPS, and a myriad of lensing options. The LIDAR system is impressive. Im inclined to not worry so much about the 12mp resolution as long as the pixels are large and detailed enough; for example I shoot a Sony A7III at 24mp, but have still seen great photos from an A7S or A7SII which are both 12mp. Same sensor size. Id like to know what exact sensor Xdynamics is using. We’ll have to see of course, but Im betting with the newer tech in processors and sensors that this camera could outperform the 16mp Zenmuse X5. And in this form factor, thats pretty awesome.

-KG

Last edited:
If they're not going to add interchangeable lenses, they at least need to make it easier to switch cameras. Zoom, IR, etc.

Reactions: Adamborz
I'm involved in a new waterproof fishing drone by Gannet. The guts are all made by DJI and the camera is easily removable, replaceable, upgradeable. In fact, the camera is an add-on. If Gannet can do it why can't DJI.

Just sold a P4 today to a gentleman whose wife bought him a mini for Christmas. It was for real estate photography. You can guess why he upgraded to my Phantom for the same price of an MM. He could not believe the test flight difference between the two. And the stability of the camera. A new PhantomHead, he'll be here soon.

This... is why I don’t have one. I already carry a DSLR, multiple lenses, stands, lights, softbox/ umbrella etc. already fills the whole back of my quad cab. My P4P+ in its waterproof case is heavy enough. On my P4P+, I find the 4K video is superb, the pics are only so-so (especially at 400’). I can’t imagine a 12mp camera would suffice.

I would buy a drone in the same size with similar or better specs with interchangeable lenses in a heartbeat. I find the need to go wider to get the shots I need on houses with landscape (trees) too close to the house... I have gotten really good at flying through branches to get the shots I need lol.

I'm involved in a new waterproof fishing drone by Gannet. The guts are all made by DJI and the camera is easily removable, replaceable, upgradeable. In fact, the camera is an add-on. If Gannet can do it why can't DJI.
One word....want

Reactions: Capt KO
The XD has some nice features, and I love competition to DJI, but the size is the problem for me. It won't fit in a backpack small enough to be compliant to airline flight size for the overhead carry on compartment. It's another inspire that's too big to be useable for my purposes.

I don’t think there is gone be another phantom.I believe the P4P is the last of the line that’s why they released it again.I heard this year dji is going to release three new drones the mavic air 2 ,the mavic pro 3 and the matrice 300.

but the size is the problem for me. It won't fit in a backpack small enough to be compliant to airline flight size for the overhead carry on compartment. It's another inspire that's too big to be useable for my purposes.
>> correction> Jump to 3:15 in this video:

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31