What Tablet Are You Using, and Are You Happy?

Nice. It's also great that the back of your tablet is not covered and has plenty of room for airflow. Before I finally gave up on my Mini 2, I was convinced that the center column of the holder being pressed against the tablet was contributing to overheating. I was always trying to mount it with space between the holder and the back of the tablet. Your "hack" is a perfect solution for those who are still struggling. Thanks.

Reactions: DMac
Actually that seems to be a great idea, but can you put a shade on it?

I haven't used a shade on it, but I have seen a few forums where a shade is actually attached to the edges of the tablet. I expect this approach would work, but you'd likely need to "notch" the shade where the clasps of the plate holder I use clamp onto the tablet.

I upgraded to the iPad Air 2 - I have a brand new Mini 2 setup for sale.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1435211680.861955.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1435211739.065169.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1435211767.016742.jpg

iPad Air and recently iPhone 6 plus. The 6 plus is plenty big enough and is brighter than the iPad so I think I'll continue with the 6 plus. Good idea also to upgrade to the metal device bracket, makes a big difference to stability.

Chuwi Vi8
Cost me $90.
Video works great (when caching is turned down). Brightness is about average and a deep hood is required. Probably not a great tab for hot sunny days as it will dim the screen if the tablet heats up too much. 90 bucks though-- darn good deal.

I'll probably go with the new jumbo iphone 6 come September. I have one for work, and flew a bit with it and video was flawless. Screen is amazing.
I am thinking of buying the following tablet I have listed below. Is it still working flawlessly with no over heating etc. I do not want to buy a more expensive tablet yet because waiting for the ipad mini 4 due out in about 4 months but thought I could buy this cheap tablet as a stop gap. If it works without problems I will purchase the Chuwi and order my P3p:-
Chuwi Vi8 Super Z3735F Quad Core 1.83GHz 8 Inch Dual Boot Tablet

Is there anyone else out there that can advise if they own the following tablet and flying the P3p without problems:Chuwi Vi8 Super Z3735F Quad Core 1.83GHz 8 Inch Dual Boot Tablet

iPad Air 2, Galaxy Tab 2 3 and 4 (all 10" models) and a Galaxy S6. All work flawlessly with newest FW, apps and OS versions

I complained quite a bit about my Samsung Tab Pro 8.4, maybe even in this thread.

However...

During the update that was pushed about a month ago, DJI did something to make my Tab Pro work a LOT better. I did install Litchi on this tablet, but aside from that, I didn't do anything.

Video used to stutter during yaw - now it doesn't.
App used to crash on 2nd flight - now it doesn't.

On the flip side, I do get a new big error. If I click on one of those stupid social settings to log into my online account/whatever, the whole app crashes. I just avoid those buttons...

So overall, I'm much happier now. Video is much smoother, no stutter.

So which tablet works best, I'm ready to buy, but debating on android vs Apple. Are there any advantages/disadvantages if I go just wifi and no cellular? I can tether my iPhone 6 so I could go either way. Also anyone out there using an iPod mini 4? Thanks

I am thinking of buying the following tablet I have listed below. Is it still working flawlessly with no over heating etc. I do not want to buy a more expensive tablet yet because waiting for the ipad mini 4 due out in about 4 months but thought I could buy this cheap tablet as a stop gap. If it works without problems I will purchase the Chuwi and order my P3p:-
Chuwi Vi8 Super Z3735F Quad Core 1.83GHz 8 Inch Dual Boot Tablet
If you're on a budget, you still can't go far wrong with the good old 2013 Nexus 7. Works perfectly with both Go and Litchi. But by far its biggest advantage is the brightness of the screen - whatever you do, make sure you get a tablet with a bright screen as that is the single most important factor, even before processing power .

rswong21 I am a noob to the P3 world and was in your position just a couple days ago. Although I converted from PC to mac after 25 years in the corporate world I will confess that my opinion here is biased towards Mac now that 7 of my 9 computers are Macs. We were in the market to purchase a dedicated mobile device strictly and specifically for flying the P3A. After reading a bazillion posts - mostly P3 pilot veterans - and researching every single mobile device (see very bottom of DJI's spec page: Phantom 3 Professional & Advanced - Specs | DJI) available as well as their prices on Amazon, eBay and Craigslist I was lucky enough to find a used iPad Air 2 for a third of its retail price. If you do lean toward an iPad I would recommend the 'wifi +cellular' vs the wifi only feature; however, bear in mind that you will incur the extra, minute expense of biting into your data package plan's monthly allowance depending on where & how often you utilize the cellular feature. Another feature is reducing lag time from your camera to the mobile device screen among many others, of course. Making sure to have an A7 or A8 iOS processing chip greatly improves that lag. I considered the iPhone 6S+ as I was due for an upgrade but decided that I wanted to have more screen real estate an Air 2 provides over the smaller, iPhone screen. Over the time that I was researching the whole "best-tablet-for-me" issue I did get the overall impression (especially on this forum) that it's really a matter of personal preference outside of DJI's minimum technological requirements. And there's some truth to the whole you-get-what-you-pay-for thing. Hopefully, this small noob's opinion is helpful to you and doesn't start another pissin' contest between the droid v apple audience. Good luck and happy flying.

Last edited:
I fly with Android and iOS. And I have preference in both realms. If going iOS I would definitely get the cell model simply because the non-cell crap doesn't have GPS. Apple felt those that don't need cell service have no business with GPS I guess?!? There IS NO ADDITION CHARGE for cell service unless you activate it, which you do not have to do. There is really no reason to have cell service at the table. You will most certainly have your phone with you, and most carriers allow data tethering. Dont,let some fool tell you that you should fly with airplane mode active.. there is NO intelligent support for this.

I used Litchi on my android tablets and phone, and I use Ultimate Flight on my iPud Air2 Both run flawlessly. Both have their own strong points.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl