What is a propeller balancer

Reaction score
I'm new to flying my drone I have it about a month and I never read anything in the manual about a propeller balancer what is that? And if it is really needed? Which one should I buy?

A prop balancer is used to...balance your props. I'm not an expert, I myself only heard about it in the past few weeks. DJI props seem to come quite well balanced, but if yours aren't (symptoms: vibrations/jello in video) then buy a prop balancer. I just bought one on ebay, was simply a rod that you put on a level can.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Or use a can like me:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Lots of info, use Google and YouTube.

Thank u . Still seems like would it make a big difference if u don't balance them ? Dji never mentioned it as a concern

i purchased a prop balancing kit from Atlanta hobby and it's nice and easy to use.
But..... so far all the props I purchased for my phantoms are balanced just fine already. I only purchase original DJI props so that might have something to do with it.

Thank u . One of the videos shows sticking some tape or filing down the prop if it's off balance. Not comfortable with any of that . Been flying 10x no problems . Don't have a balancer so don't know if they r properly balanced but don't want to cause a problem where there is none

so far my Phantom Props have been dead-on when I checked them with the balancer. So no adjustments to date. But I will continue to check them if I have to order new ones, because if one is out of balance it will cause unnecessary vibration and could eventually create bearing failure in a motor. These motors turn at very high rpm and you don't want to be running with an unbalance propeller. I have a threaded rod for my Phantom props that fits the Dubro balancer, so it is very easy to check the balance.

Regarding using tape for balance weight, if will probably work, but I have always used a medium CA glue on the tips and the hub to balance with. it goes on very thin and clear and is practically invisible.:)

You get the rod from the same people, generally you buy a rod specific for the props you want to balance. For me it was the rod for self tightening props.
Basically it's a really accurately balanced spindle to put your prop on, so that if one blade is heavier, it will roll that blade to the bottom.
Getting the rod is really all you'd theoretically need, but if you're going to go to the trouble of balancing props then you may as well also get the ultra low friction device that holds the rod so that it will allow the prop to rotate if any side is even slightly out.

All my props except my 3 blade ones are genuine DJI and all the genuine ones were a tiny bit out. not enough to be the slightest problem. I doubt you'd even notice with how little they were out, but they did all have one side that was the tiniest bit heavier than the other. I balanced them anyway just for the heck of it till neither side would move in whatever position you put them.
The 3 blade props were a nightmare!!! Balancing them was such a PITA that I decided since I'm never likely to fly with them, that I'll just write them off as a bad mistake.

Thank u . One of the videos shows sticking some tape or filing down the prop if it's off balance. Not comfortable with any of that . Been flying 10x no problems . Don't have a balancer so don't know if they r properly balanced but don't want to cause a problem where there is none

definitely would NOT file down a prop - could seriously change the flight dynamics. I haven't had to balance a P2 or a P3 prop (they are all well balanced in my experience) However, adding a little tape to the light side is how you balance.... you can pick up tape that is perfect for this at any local hobby shop that sells heli's

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers