What fps do you guys shoot at when filming moving cars?

Reaction score
I'm just wondering what fps you guys shoot at when filming a moving car. Is 24 fps better because of that motion blur, or will 60 fps be best because of its usefulness in post production?

tm14191: We've just been filming a Land Rover Defender, a Toyota Hilux, and a delivery lorry at 24fps with good results for exactly the reason you mentioned. 24fps is industry standard and produces what we're all familiar with. You probably know that The Hobbit films were shot at 48fps, which caused a stir, but still looked fine. What matters most is content.

Reactions: tml4191
tm14191: We've just been filming a Land Rover Defender, a Toyota Hilux, and a delivery lorry at 24fps with good results for exactly the reason you mentioned. 24fps is industry standard and produces what we're all familiar with. You probably know that The Hobbit films were shot at 48fps, which caused a stir, but still looked fine. What matters most is content.
Thanks for the info!

It depends on your shot. Will you mostly have the car in the same spot in your composition? Such as when following it and trying to have the camera dead on.. then go with your usual 24/25/30 and double shutter speed.

But if the car will be hard to track and have in the same spot all the time, you might want to go fps 50 shutter 100 or same regular fps but higher shutter speed anyway.
I filmed racing cars once going 200 km/h. Needless to say, it was extremly difficult following them with the Phantom and having the camera centering them all the time. So they moved in and out of the frame, and because of my motion blurry settings (25, shutter 50) they came out quite blurry.

I was intially just talking about a slow moving car, but it's good to know about your expereince with filming fast cars. I'll keep that in mind. Thank you!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20